• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate that so many people think this. The prequel trilogy may not have been made with the primary concern for plot and story and more for special effects and "eye candy", but overall, I think it did what it needed and was enough to make the story and characterizations coherent and genuine. The originals, in my opinion, had a very boring and somewhat cliché plot (you, saving the galaxy and all). I much more enjoyed the tragedy of Anakin's downfall in the prequels than Luke's conquest to save the galaxy.

And it's not like it's because I'm a "new-gen" or whatever. My dad is a huge original Star Wars fan, so I grew up watching the originals several times before watching the prequels. When I watched the prequels, I was amazed how much more I was drawn to the character of Anakin and the whole overall feel than the character of Luke and the overall feel to the originals.

Of course, I won't be surprised that you will probably say something about me being a naive Fi-user or whatever to discredit what I have to say.

Anakin wasn't very well done. The overall plot of the prequels had some interesting and subtle things to say about the destruction of democracy and the arrogance of the Jedi Order... but Anakin? Meh... could've been done so much better.

Pinker85

Helldriver. Ugh. Been going through and watching movies with Eihi Shiina. Wonderful stuff to watch while studying. Don't really have to pay much attention to what's going on (possibly even better off NOT paying tons of attention) to follow the story . . . just look up every so often and go 'wtf?' and laugh. It was a bit too long for my liking though.

V

violaine

- The Artist. Very charming. I liked. Black and white films are so soothing. As is an absence of dialogue or crashing sound effects.
- Blue Velvet. Loved the opening scenes. But David Lynch loses me when he spins off into the land of the nonsensical. Seems too forced and then silly. I liked the premise though and I always seem to love his choice in music. Been humming "In Dreams" for days.
- Persona. Hmm, still thinking about this one. I don't think I'll end up dwelling on it for too long as I guess it's highly ambiguous by design.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anakin wasn't very well done. The overall plot of the prequels had some interesting and subtle things to say about the destruction of democracy and the arrogance of the Jedi Order... but Anakin? Meh... could've been done so much better.

Hmm... perhaps I'm wrong, but I presume that (and most people don't seem to admit this, but...) Anakin didn't live up to the picture that fans had created in their mind before the PT came out (the old Star War fans, anyway). I can't help but think they idealized him to be better than he was when they were mostly ignorant of his flaws. Didn't they figure that Obi-Wan only mentioned Anakin's virtues and left out most of his vices so he wouldn't upset Luke, and that Obi-Wan may have ignored some of his flaws and exaggerated his virtues because he was his best friend?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have spent a lot of time in bed the last 2 days as i feel like shit so have watched:

Black Swan
The Vow
Breaking Dawn Pt 1
Eat Pray Love

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Saw the movie "Act of Valor". I loved it. :wubbie:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw Wanderlust on Friday. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen in my entire life. [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQjIs6R2vig&noredirect=1"]WANDERLUST[/YOUTUBE]

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Phantom Menace in 3D. It was The Phantom Menace in 3D.

And Jake Lloyd was a helluva lot more annoying than Jar Jar, I've decided.

I stand by it, though, I liked the movie better than Return of the Jedi, which was my least favorite of the series.

Mole

Permabanned
A Bullet for the General

I saw a most marvellous movie last night. It is called, "A Bullet for the General", and although it is a spagetti Western, it touches exquisitely on the relationship between the literate man and the man of the spoken word.

And the movie mirrored perfectly what is happening in Afganistan today where our Afgan friends are shooting us.

Yes, our Afgan friends are men of the spoken word and feel compelled to shoot their literate friends who are there to help them.

This may seem irrational but literacy kills the spoken word, so in turn, those of the spoken word kill the literate.

This has happened worldwide as the literate individual meets the traditional tribal man of the spoken word.

For in the beginning was the spoken word, and the spoken word was with Allah, and the spoken word was Allah.

Mole

Permabanned
The Hindu Kush and Connecticut

Stick with me kid and I'll take you from the Hindu Kush to the drawing rooms of Connecticut. And we will explore the mysteries of the spoken words in the Kush, and reveal all in the written words of Connecticut.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm afraid that I will not be able to stick with you, Victor.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
The first movie I watched in its entirety in quite a while was 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'. It was alright. The plot was interesting, but it was quite drawn out and while some parts were quite suspenseful or engaging, others were incredibly drawn out if not completely unnecessary. I think the movie could have been done in a far better manner; the movie seemed to be going for complexity and some sort of depth, but what it ended up with seemed to be various layers of attempted depth that simply bored the viewer and detracted from the main plot rather than adding to it.

93JC

Ghost World

Thora Birch stars as Enid, a new high school grad who's not sure where to go from there. Her and her best friend Becky (Scarlett Johansson) keep themselves amused in and out of school by railing against what they see as a shallow, idiotic society around them.

Enid and Becky find a personal ad in a newspaper, respond to it for shits and giggles, and then observe the false date they'd set up with loner Seymour (Steve Buscemi). At first Enid seems to revel in toying with poor Seymour but she soon begins to sympathize with him.

I won't spoil any more of the movie for you if you haven't seen it, I'll just say that Enid's sharp wit and attitude toward others is both funny and a little cruel. Enid herself really hit home in some ways. She knows what she doesn't like but she doesn't know what she does like yet. She doesn't want to accept the stereotypical social conventions that surround her which makes her in a way quite courageous but at the same time her rebellion against them is so very ignorant and unbecoming. In that way I think she's quite a tragic character. She, like Seymour, just doesn't relate to the society around her.

Enid's worldview is very poignant, ruthlessly satirical, often funny and tragically naive. I laughed at the absurdity of the situations around her and at the same time wished I could have grabbed her by the shoulders and shook some humility into her.

Ultimately it's fun to watch and very quotable.

e.g. (re. slightly damaged 78 rpm records): "So what was all that about enlarged holes and tight cracks?" :D

Pinker85

A Night at the Opera featuring the Marx Brothers. I only wish there were more movies by them. It's like every scene in this movie is effortless and funny.

Mole

Permabanned
"Carnage", by Roman Polanski

I saw the movie, "Carnage", by Roman Polanski last night and it was exactly like Typology Central. I recognised myself in one of the characters, "Penelope".

Of course they didn't have a moderator, so perhaps that's why it ended up as carnage.