First 220270310318319320321322 Last

Results 3,191 to 3,200 of 3230

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So I saw a stream of "Dark Phoenix" last night, just for the hell of it.

Yeah, pretty much underwhelming and inconsequential. It's not the worst superhero movie I have seen, it's just utterly pointless. I'm still torn on whether it or "X-Men: Apocalypse" was more boring to view.

Fox just never really grasped what to do with the X-Men. They couldn't get a consistent cast, and then they never really grasped how to make the characters people rather than just collections of powers. (And often, they didn't even figure out how to make use of said powers interesting, if they were going that route. There were actually a few interesting applications in DP in the latter half of the film.)

It is just bland and toothless and trivial. I'm not sure how you fuck up the story of Jean Grey, it's all mapped out in the comic. If they had simply done the Zack Snyder thing and used the comic book as the script and frame, that would have still been preferable to this.

Their casting is not great either. I mean, they hire good actors but they don't really seem to fit with the established properties (well, except for Cyclops, which is hilarious -- because the biggest complaint about him in the comic too is that he's just another bland white guy with insecurities and kind of uninteresting... so I guess they nailed that). One of my biggest annoyances is how they shoved Jennifer Lawrence into the Mystique role and made her a good guy, she's nothing like the original Mystique; she became so uninteresting. They also hired Sophie Turner to play Jean Grey, although her personality is nothing like Jean... she basically got this job because she's got red hair and she was in GoT. (She's not a bad actress, but she needs to be cast right.)

Oh, and hell, let's toss in Jessica Chastain. She's another great actress who you should be writing a part for, not just making her a generic baddy with a role it sounds like she's improvising everything for as she goes.

This story is underwhelming. I think only Michael Fassbender gets by with a pass because he's simply good regardless, but the Magento role is half a muddled mess here.

Overall problem? Besides never really knowing how to establish the characters and make us care about them, they didn't want to put in the time to do real story-building like MCU has done with their 20-movie arc. Think about it. The Dark Phoenix story is one that took about 35 issues of X-Men (three years) or more to resolve.

I mean, Marvel mucked up the Jean Grey story because it could never leave well enough alone, but the original arc was great, which is why Fox has tried to do it twice. However, it never wanted to do it right. It simply wanted to cash in on the emotional payoff without doing any of the character building necessary to make it spectacular. And now instead of some big epic tale involving a force that could destroy the cosmos, the story remains very tiny despite it... being... a ...force... that could destroy... the ... cosmos? It's not clear, because we never really see the force get that big.

It's just kind of amazing that you could take something with great source material and make it so boring, bland, and tiny.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Stigmata liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

started Good Omens, looks satirically delish
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Lark, Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    started Good Omens, looks satirically delish
    Its a great book, much better than the show but the show was alright.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its a great book, much better than the show but the show was alright.
    books are inanimate
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

I cant get this movie out of my head, I think its an australian movie, its centred on a restaurant or pizza delivery firm and they tell the same or broadly similar story from four different perspectives, they over lap is what I mean, so you might see someone riding a bike in one scene and its in the background but in another scene the camera is centred on them and you see someone in the background stuck in a dumpster.

I think there's a sequence in which a guy takes a delivery for another female worker because he thinks that they are being forced to make deliveries to a guy who some old perve who never leaves the house but as it turns out they have been choosing to make the delivery there because he always orders two pizzas or something like that and they always give them one of them to eat.

So I am trying to figure that one out.

And I'm watching this odd old movie called good burger which has awful special effects and which might be racist, I'm not sure.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Mary Poppins Returns. She really is practically perfect in every way.
    Saw bits of the Picard trailer on SyFy last night; 7 of 9 is in this and she didn't get fat.
    Likes Hermit of the Forest liked this post

Cherish the joy Hermit of the Forest's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Mary Poppins Returns. She really is practically perfect in every way.
    Chase the adventure. Cherish the joy.

Cu·ri·ous
    adjective
    1. Eager to know or learn something.
    2. Strange; unusual.

INTP 9w1 2w1 5w6 so/sx
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

^Yeah, but that wasn't the only surprise.

Saw bits of the Picard trailer on SyFy last night; 7 of 9 is in this and she didn't get fat.
    Likes Hermit of the Forest liked this post

Cherish the joy Hermit of the Forest's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    ^Yeah, but that wasn't the only surprise.

Chase the adventure. Cherish the joy.

Cu·ri·ous
    adjective
    1. Eager to know or learn something.
    2. Strange; unusual.

INTP 9w1 2w1 5w6 so/sx

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

In recent months:
    Caught up on Channel Zero. SyFy network is doing something right, still.

Watched all of Deadwood, including the new finale film. Never saw the series before this. Glad I gave it a chance. Far exceeded my expectations. Such a strong cast, good writing. Doesn’t matter that it was a Western, of sorts.

Mindhunter on Netflix. Rewatched. Guy who plays Ed Kemper deserves an award. Impeccable.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.