• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Life After Beth. Aubrey Plaza plays a zombie. Movie isn't that good but I watched it for Aubrey's performance. She's adorably grumpy and sarcastic.

Pinker85

Bethel: Community and Schizophrenia in Northern Japan

Located in a small fishing town on the northern island of Hokkaido is a small but vibrant group of people with schizophrenia and other psychosocial disabilities. The Bethel House organization was founded in 1984 to support people with these types of disabilities living in the community. Through various work programs, group homes, and a close relationship with the hospital and town, Bethel’s members slowly reintegrate into Japanese society. The film explores how the members of Bethel struggle with their lives, their problems, and the meaning of community.

Bethel: Community and Schizophrenia in Northern Japan (Video 2007) - Plot Summary - IMDb

It's no good if people feel better because they think we did something for them. It's no good if they think I cured them. We're always noting that people who think 'we cured them' always relapse, on the other hand, people get better the 'bethel way' because of everyone's help. They are so happy that they met so many people and it's the richness of these relationships. Within all that I want them to feel the hospital was an important part of their entire experience. This style of treatment, I think, is more stable than 'curing' them. We've managed to reveal the depth, the breadth, and the dimensionality of their personality. - Dr. Kawamura, Psychiatrist at Bethel House

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
My first and last Eric Rohmer film; it's so mind numbingly dull. There should be a warning about these kinds of films.

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
Almost finished Daredevil. It has it's problems, but it's possibly my favorite out of all the Marvel movie/tv shows so far.

Also just finished season two of Rick and Morty. Fantastic show, one of the most inventive, create and unusual shows I've come across. The second season didn't quite match the brilliance of the first, but that's only because it's one of the finest pieces of television I've ever experienced.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Started watching Parks & Recreation. Feels a lot like The Office. Meh. It's.. background, I guess.

I miss Bojack Horseman.

Need to find more cartoons.
INTP friend seems enamored with Rick & Morty.. :thinking:
Will probably check out.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Started watching Parks & Recreation. Feels a lot like The Office. Meh. It's.. background, I guess.

A heads up, the first season's not that great. It wasn't until season 2 that I really started enjoying the show. (Specifically April's "I like people... places... and... things" episode) :)

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Scream Queens; its string of references is impressive and entertaining. But I do wonder if they'll be able to keep it up.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Finished about 30 episodes of Saiyuki. It's entertaining enough but it's not one of the great ones. Way too much abusive language towards poor Goku.

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
Movies I've watched in the last couple of days:

Die Another Day: It's not the most original Bond movie (it owes a lot to Diamonds Are Forever), but It moves at a fast pace; it's never dull; it has a terrific sword fight; and the maligned bits - the invisible car, Bond surfing down a glacier - are pretty cool.

Crimson Peak: Looks great, but may be the stupidest movie of the year. It starts off well, as a sort of homage to Conan Doyle and Hammer Horror, but collapses into pure hokum. By the time characters are sticking knives into each other and declaring that this will only end when one of them is dead, I'd had enough. Its saving grace is Mia Wasikowska, who's the spitting image of Rossetti's Helen of Troy.

The Martian: Probably the best space movie of recent years. It's about people solving problems, in an intelligent and optimistic way - how to grow food on Mars, how to communicate with Earth, how to rescue a stranded astronaut. A lot better than either Nolan's pretentious Interstellar or Gravity, which said that being on Earth was better than being in space, where you would probably die and / or get religion. Martian admits that space is dangerous, but hey! it's still worth exploring and doing something you love even if it is dangerous, and we can solve the problems the universe throws at us.

The Walk: Incredible biopic / caper about a guy who walks a high wire between the twin towers. The walk is real edge of the seat stuff - one of the best sequences I've seen in a movie for a long time; the way director Robert Zemeckis moves the camera is amazing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's French is excellent (until I saw the credits, I thought that Philippe Petit was played by a native Francophone).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Martian: Probably the best space movie of recent years. It's about people solving problems, in an intelligent and optimistic way - how to grow food on Mars, how to communicate with Earth, how to rescue a stranded astronaut. A lot better than either Nolan's pretentious Interstellar or Gravity, which said that being on Earth was better than being in space, where you would probably die and / or get religion. Martian admits that space is dangerous, but hey! it's still worth exploring and doing something you love even if it is dangerous, and we can solve the problems the universe throws at us.

I watched that last weekend and was really surprised that I thought that it was absolutely awesome! :holy:

I hated Gravity, so I wasn't too keen on actually going to the theater to watch another movie about someone lost all by themselves somewhere in space, but I went anyways. It had a sense of humor to it and didn't lose that throughout the entire movie, which made it so much better than most other movies in that genre... and yeah, I liked all of the different solutions and that nobody just sat around moping... they tried to fix things instead :)

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
I watched that last weekend and was really surprised that I thought that it was absolutely awesome! :holy:

I hated Gravity, so I wasn't too keen on actually going to the theater to watch another movie about someone lost all by themselves somewhere in space, but I went anyways. It had a sense of humor to it and didn't lose that throughout the entire movie, which made it so much better than most other movies in that genre... and yeah, I liked all of the different solutions and that nobody just sat around moping... they tried to fix things instead :)

:D Yeah, I was a bit worried at first that it'd be po-faced and heavy on the technobabble, but the film works - Ridley Scott's a better storyteller than Nolan or Cuarón; he keeps things grounded and the plot points clear. It helps, too, that Matt Damon is likeable, and can carry large parts of the film by himself. And the movie's, as you say, funny - which I wasn't expecting. And nice to see a film free from angst!

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D Yeah, I was a bit worried at first that it'd be po-faced and heavy on the technobabble, but the film works - Ridley Scott's a better storyteller than Nolan or Cuarón; he keeps things grounded and the plot points clear. It helps, too, that Matt Damon is likeable, and can carry large parts of the film by himself. And the movie's, as you say, funny - which I wasn't expecting. And nice to see a film free from angst!

A Ridley Scott top 5 picture, at its worst....great humor and humanity....so many wonderful characters...all wanting to do what they thought was the right thing, which was not the same for everyone. And some things just need to be done because they are the right thing to do, even when it breaks a few rules :D