• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Those Obscure Old School Games

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Discuss games from older game systems that were largely unheard of, yet were somehow extremely fun anyway.

For example, I have (and still play) Pokemon Puzzle League, the game is like an anti tetris, where blocks move upwards and you need to switch blocks around to eliminate them and drop more blocks onto the opponent. The Pokemon aspect is more of a backdrop to the puzzle game itself, but it's sooooooooooooo damn fun.

Pokemon Snap, which even though it takes only a few hours to play through is an all time classic for me, and other I'm sure.

And does anyone remember Glover? ;)

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Star Tropics for the NES.

I remember reading about Glover, but I never had any desire to play it.

Brainlord for the SNES and Alundra for the Playstation also come to mind.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was totally into my Dreamcast when it came out. Soul Caliber was like a modern generation game that showed the muscle it had compared to the playstation 1. The narrowband internet access was a noble attempt and paved the way for xbox live.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I was totally into my Dreamcast when it came out. Soul Caliber was like a modern generation game that showed the muscle it had compared to the playstation 1. The narrowband internet access was a noble attempt and paved the way for xbox live.

I loved Illbleed, though that game definately isn't for everyone. I also liked the Shenmue games, which likewise got a lot of hatedom.

I was semi-traumatised by the failure of the Dreamcast, and put off buying another system (except for the Gameboy Advance) for several years.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I loved Illbleed, though that game definately isn't for everyone. I also liked the Shenmue games, which likewise got a lot of hatedom.

I was semi-traumatised by the failure of the Dreamcast, and put off buying another system (except for the Gameboy Advance) for several years.

Shenmue was a somewhat flawed but very ambitious and creative game. You don't see game companies taking big chances like this very often.

Kimchitasi

MBTI Type
N
Enneagram
Suikoden 2. Me and my friends were addicted for a while. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden_2

When you collected a person to 'join' your army they always had a portrait. Anyone who didn't was just another nobody. So me and my friends used to joke that 'so and so' didn't have a face irl, so no way they were going to join up.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here are some games that I have good memories about (and are not really well known like Super Mario Bros.)

Atari 2600 - Adventure, H.E.R.O.

NES - Ducktales, Ultima IV (Yes I'm a heretic and played it on the NES and not a PC)

SNES - Actraiser

Genesis - Shining Force

PC - Day of the Tentacle

PS1 - Legend of the Dragoon

Arcade - Crossbow, Karnov, Spy Hunter

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I've recently been playing through some rather old strategy games.

Master of Orion - DOS
Master of Orion 2 - DOS/Win95
UFO Enemy Unknown/XCom UFO Defence - Dos/Win95 (see my Let's Play here!)
Stars! - Windows 95
Birth of the Federation - Win95/Win98

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the original NES -

There was this funny fantasy-type game called Rygar. I loved it. lol. Also remember having fun wtih Goonies. But all-time favorite NES Fantasy game was Faxanadu. :heart: :heart: :wubbie:

Super Pitfall, converted to NES, was pretty damn hard - but I liked it a lot and spent so many countless hours getting frustrated and trying to beat the darn thing. It was nearly impossible with an insane amount of things to do and only being able to get hit 3 times before death. lol.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Empire of Steel (a.k.a. the Steel Empire) for Sega Genesis is one of my absolute favorite sidescrolling shooters. No other shooter I know has a similarly cool steampunk setting. It came together with 2 other games with the Genesis I once got for Chirstmas.

Columns
is another of my favorite Genesis games. Probably less obscure than the first one, but still not nearly as well-known as Tetris. I really like the Ancient-themed music and graphics style.

Lark

Not very old school, I was thinking of ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, Amstrad or even game books like Fighting Fantasy or Lone Wolf, maybe even board games like Space Crusade, Black Cannon, The Vampire Game, The Key To The Kingdom.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Empire of Steel (a.k.a. the Steel Empire) for Sega Genesis is one of my absolute favorite sidescrolling shooters. No other shooter I know has a similarly cool steampunk setting. It came together with 2 other games with the Genesis I once got for Chirstmas.

Steel Empire looks like a side-shooter style Zero Wing game. I just downloaded and played a bit of SE on a Sega emulator. Can you explain a bit more about the steampunk setting?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Atari 2600 - Adventure

LOVED this game. I remember how awesome it was to find the secret magic dot, which was an easter egg before that name had even been coined. Other great 2600 games I loved were Warlords, Yars' Revenge and Activision Boxing. Moving to PCs, I really liked the Infocom text adventure games, F-15 Strike Eagle, and Seven Cities of Gold for the Atari XL line of computers.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I remember enjoying the original Legend of Zelda game back in the day on the Ninetendo. Compared to the newer Zelda games the graphics are pretty pathetic but I still enjoyed playing it at the time. In some ways I prefer the older Zelda game to the newer ones which seem to move too slowly and force you to watch all these cutscenes.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jumpman!! (C64)

goats

MBTI Type
INTP
Recently i've started playing this again. Anyone recognize this game? It's hard as fuck.

Its called Ragnarok. Made in 1994. There's no way to win this i think.

Here's a screen shot of the first stage
ragnarok1994.png