• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most silly Olympic sports? What sports should be included?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Now in the past, Olympic sports have been tried and subsequently discontinued.

discontinued Olympic sports said:
* croquet
* motor boating
* polo
* tug-of-war
* plunge for distance
* underwater swimming
* obstacle race for swimming
* cricket
* lacrosse
* jeu de paume
* racquets

Rugby and Golf will be included in 2016, but Baseball and Softball won't be included from 2012. Roller sports were also considered for 2016.

Which Olympic sports do you think are the most silly and which sports do you think should replace them?

Curling?

Equestrian events, especially dressage? (or maybe just the horses should get the medals)

Biathlon/Pentathlon

Synchronised Swimming?

Synchronised diving? (isn't individual diving enough?)

Sailing?

Table Tennis?

Archery? (I mean would anyone bother if it wasn't an Olympic sport?)

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Racewalk might be the silliest looking event. I actually think its interesting. I find all the unusual events interesting, so I don't really worry about judging what should be replaced with what. Steeplechase, dressage, trampoline - all those things that never get mainstream attention, but people have dedicated their lives to mastering. I do think removing softball and baseball was regrettable.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Rhythmic gymnastics was the first thing to come to my mind (performing choreographed routines with different props like a ball, a hoop, a ribbon, clubs).

You could probably make a case that even the "weird" events are interesting in a way, and involve a lot of skill. So what exactly makes an event Olympic-worthy? Some of those "discontinued" events sound like they'd be fun to watch.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Curling was the first thing to come to mind. I can see keeping biathalon cuz of the skiing. Pentathalon sounds athletic but in all honesty I don't know what sports are involved. Yeah, also the synchronized swimming/diving can go too.

S

Sniffles

I also put down a vote for Kendo. I'm honestly surprised it isn't an olympic sport already. :blink:

duck.gif

mathemagician

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pankration was an original olympic sport. Now we have MMA, MMA should be included as an olympic sport imo.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
all of them. the differences in ability among a competition of people that good is inconsequential.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They have to keep curling. It's mesmerizing. Any motor sport should never be included in the Olympics. Equestrian events I've always been on the fence about.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Equestrian events I've always been on the fence about.

:rofl1:

I would take out synchronized diving, rhythmic gymnastics and sailing. I'd also prune down the categories - if one athlete can win 10 gold medals in one type of event, that's just stupid.

I don't have a full list so I don't know what silliness is there already. It's awesome that they're taking out baseball though - what a horrible, boring "sport". I'd take out equestrians too - they have their own damn events for that. I like curling but I don't know if it should count as a "sport" - kinda the same as archery though, there is skill involved. And darts (is that in the olympics?).

The olympics are really bloated - tons of things could easily be cut. But I think they make money for having more events to watch, maybe?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't know why they haven't split the Olympics into major categories yet.

To me, as far as skill in a particular entertainment or fighting style.. the Olympics is the farthest you can go. Winning the gold. So, it's not that I think they should cut or eliminate things. But that many MORE things should be olympic worthy--with the BIG olympic event hosting things on a rotational basis. Sailings already had it's glory.. so cut it for a while and let other events make gold medals. I also agree that only one gold medal for an event should count. Either you're the best, or you're not. A tie should be a rare occurance.

It just doesn't seem fair that ribbon dancers still compete all the damn time, but Kendo isn't up on the block ever. The olympics used to be brutal competition.. it just seems so.. soft, and dull. Like some rich dude with a bottle of way-too-expensive wine is sitting in a Ceaser-style box seat, clapping softly while flirting with a haughty girl that has interest in his money.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
what is that sport where people roll around on the mat with a string on a stick and make twirly circles in the air?

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
The oddest for me was the indoor cycling. I never saw the appeal. I wish that baseball was an Olympic sport sometimes :p