• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

G

Ginkgo

I guessed it right before I watched this last episode.

2013-02-02_00002.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw "The Lion and the Rose."

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry.
Couldn't help myself.

----

Caught up now. Only took me 11 days to watch them all.

About the Hound:

[MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION]

I also have to say about Joffrey -- he had softened up a bit there while courting Margaery, and I found it less easy to hate him. So I'm really glad he stepped things up at the Royal Wedding; the way he treated not just Tyrion but also Sansa was absolutely loathsome. Even Tywin looked rather put off by the whole bit.

Sam totally saved Gilly from being raped by sending her to a brothel!

God, that was terrible. Sam means well, but... sigh.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re: The Hound:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lots of discussion earlier about character ages in comparison to the books.

The question for me is, how much of the TV show is literally based on the books in that regards? Daenyres might only be 13 when she has sex with Drogo in the book; the actress cast is much older, but that would not resolve the issue with the character having sex on TV at such a young age, so maybe the show actually increased the ages in the story itself, for its own purposes? Likewise, maybe casting older actors for some of the roles (like Robb?) means he's not 16 in the TV show, even if he was in the book? It's unclear. But this type of translation happens all the time. Robb seems written as far older than 16 in his intellectual capabilities in the show.

I see the whole debacle at the Twins stemming mainly from Rob making a few errors that did not seem fatal at the time but in the world he actually lives in positioned him to be very vulnerable, and his enemies exploited that. One of them is commented on in the show ("You lost the war as soon as you married [Talisa].") That marriage was a huge bartering chip to seal an alliance, and Robb threw it away. Another was his broken vow to Lord Frey, who already was kind of unpredictable, stubborn, and provided him with a service that he was reluctant to offer at first; and Robb took it SO lightly, even when he formally offered an apology. Another was the execution of the Lord who murdered two Lannister hostages, in such a complicated situation, against the wishes of every one of his advisors on the matter and a prediction of what would happen -- leaving him vulnerable to needing more men, thus needing to deal with Lord Frey. And a final mistake was simply trusting that the old rituals would matter in a time when the entire land was in upheaval and his enemies so desperate.

Small mistakes, and another enemy might have not taken advantage of them or played more conservatively... but he was dealing with Tywin Lannister.

The more I think about it, Charles Dance has been a delight.

I agree with that. I really don't like Tywin as a person, but as a character he seems to be everything he's cracked up to be. Dance conveys him wonderfully.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also have to say about Joffrey -- he had softened up a bit there while courting Margaery, and I found it less easy to hate him. So I'm really glad he stepped things up at the Royal Wedding; the way he treated not just Tyrion but also Sansa was absolutely loathsome. Even Tywin looked rather put off by the whole bit.

To give credit where credit's due, Margery is like a freaking psychotic evil King whisperer.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I can't recall if it's mentioned in the movie, but I read that in the books (GOT wiki) that there were multiple times The Hound was drunk off his ass around Sansa, he kind of verbally berates her calling her a "stupid little bird," probably because she thinks the ideal Knight is from a Disney movie (I think she may have changed her opinion by now). At one point he's waiting, drunk in her chambers, and makes her sing him a song, but doesn't kill her/rape her. He wouldn't do that to Arya or Sansa.

I don't think he has a heart of gold, but he does have SOME level of conscience. He could kill 20 men or not. Either way, it makes no difference to him. But he only does it when there's a threat or he's provoked. Yes, he's guarding Arya to exchange for gold, but I think it's interesting how he shows what little soft side he has to her, and only to her.

She asks what he's doing after, and he says "Why do you care?" Then silence...the he goes ahead shares his personal plans "Might book passage across the narrow sea. Fight as a sellsword, Second Sons, could be. Seems like a good fit for me." You can see in his face an almost vulnerability for sharing his plans/dreams just for the sake of conversation.

I think about him more though, I love the strong silent type, that's wounded, scarred, thinks no one could ever love a man with such burns on his face. All things considered, he has NOT managed to become his truly Evil brother.

God I love that guy.
"This cave is dark too, but I’m the terror here."

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
lots of discussion earlier about character ages in comparison to the books.

The question for me is, how much of the TV show is literally based on the books in that regards? Daenyres might only be 13 when she has sex with Drogo in the book; the actress cast is much older, but that would not resolve the issue with the character having sex on TV at such a young age, so maybe the show actually increased the ages in the story itself, for its own purposes? Likewise, maybe casting older actors for some of the roles (like Robb?) means he's not 16 in the TV show, even if he was in the book? It's unclear. But this type of translation happens all the time. Robb seems written as far older than 16 in his intellectual capabilities in the show.

I see the whole debacle at the Twins stemming mainly from Rob making a few errors that did not seem fatal at the time but in the world he actually lives in positioned him to be very vulnerable, and his enemies exploited that. One of them is commented on in the show ("You lost the war as soon as you married [Talisa].") That marriage was a huge bartering chip to seal an alliance, and Robb threw it away. Another was his broken vow to Lord Frey, who already was kind of unpredictable, stubborn, and provided him with a service that he was reluctant to offer at first; and Robb took it SO lightly, even when he formally offered an apology. Another was the execution of the Lord who murdered two Lannister hostages, in such a complicated situation, against the wishes of every one of his advisors on the matter and a prediction of what would happen -- leaving him vulnerable to needing more men, thus needing to deal with Lord Frey. And a final mistake was simply trusting that the old rituals would matter in a time when the entire land was in upheaval and his enemies so desperate.

Small mistakes, and another enemy might have not taken advantage of them or played more conservatively... but he was dealing with Tywin Lannister.

I agree with that. I really don't like Tywin as a person, but as a character he seems to be everything he's cracked up to be. Dance conveys him wonderfully.

I had a huge post that got eaten the other day about how poorly many of the action scenes have been handled (with a few very notable exceptions). If I get some time I'll try to redo it.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a huge post that got eaten the other day about how poorly many of the action scenes have been handled (with a few very notable exceptions). If I get some time I'll try to redo it.

I remember thinking the exact same thing about the season finale of season 2, the battle of the blackwater. The action scenes were atrocious. I was pretty shocked but then kind of forgave them because it isn't really an action TV series. At least at that scale, like armies battling it out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember thinking the exact same thing about the season finale of season 2, the battle of the blackwater. The action scenes were atrocious. I was pretty shocked but then kind of forgave them because it isn't really an action TV series. At least at that scale, like armies battling it out.

I was more impressed they could try to convey a battle with an obviously low budget and not a lot of extras. With limited resources, I'm fine with them spending their money on the dragons and the Red Woman's baby and other crap that is "money shot" stuff.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was more impressed they could try to convey a battle with an obviously low budget and not a lot of extras. With limited resources, I'm fine with them spending their money on the dragons and the Red Woman's baby and other crap that is "money shot" stuff.

It didn't really bother me. It was still bad, haha. But that's honestly the only scene/episode I recall. There were a couple of good isolated scenes like when Bronn saved The Hound from fire.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

I totally understand budget constraints w/ regards to large scale battles etc., but some of the smaller scale stuff that it would cost almost nothing to really polish up doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

For instance, where Daario battles the champion of mereen. In the book that fight has a whole big build up and lasts for a little while (not to mention it isn't Daario fighting). In the show it was over in literally 5 seconds.

Remember back to the first season when Jaime and Ned had it out in the street?

That fight did a good job of conveying the prodigious skills of the men involved.

And remember this?

I understand not being able to break the bank on large scale stuff, but I expect fights to be taken as seriously as in the books. In the last couple of seasons I haven't felt that they always are (with a few notable exceptions).

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I totally understand budget constraints w/ regards to large scale battles etc., but some of the smaller scale stuff that it would cost almost nothing to really polish up doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

For instance, where Daario battles the champion of mereen. In the book that fight has a whole big build up and lasts for a little while (not to mention it isn't Daario fighting). In the show it was over in literally 5 seconds.

Remember back to the first season when Jaime and Ned had it out in the street?

That fight did a good job of conveying the prodigious skills of the men involved.

And remember this?

I understand not being able to break the bank on large scale stuff, but I expect fights to be taken as seriously as in the books. In the last couple of seasons I haven't felt that they always are (with a few notable exceptions).

Your links are busted.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Click the link and watch em on youtube I guess.

Ok, never had a link NOT work on a forum and work on youtube, weird. Anyway.

Yeah, they do a good job when the fights are small (at least to me, I haven't read the books). But I think huge battle sequences are hard for any show/movie. Even in Braveheart, they had a few extras running around looking retarded. I think one of the best examples, without being too CGI is, of course, the opening battle against the Germanic tribes (the Gauls?).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, you should also remember not everyone has read the books. (I wonder what the percentage is.) So I can offer perspective as someone who never read the books -- the fight with Daario and the champion was fine for me, and rather amusing... and they're also trying to condense a LOT of material into a short amount of TV episodes. I can understand if they cut an inconsequential fight scene with Daario, to focus on Daenyres doing a more important thing by preaching to the inhabitants. They're adapting a story and have to weight a lot of factors.

They have spent more time on scenes that are more important overall.