• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find Martin's novels to be incredibly boring, albeit above average, especially compared to the Malazan series...but he is a great film producer/director/writer which makes me think he is more intj than intp since he does better working with others.

Director? Has he directed anything?

I know he worked on the second Twilight Zone + the Beauty and Beast TV show as a writer.

He also obviously wrote the source material (AKA the books) for the HBO series, but he is not the show runner(s) and I think has only scripted one episode per season (?). So 10% of the episodes so far, and none this season, so that's really 8%. They go to him for information about the world and obviously consults for his story, but.... I'm not really sure where you're getting this from. Is he really "working with people" in terms of being Directive (AKA xxxJ) as much as you are suggesting?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, he is not. And he is obviously not an INTJ. You really only need to watch 20 seconds of any interview with him.
yeah, just went to youtube....he's an Informative and story spinner....P-style relay of information, casual delivery, things "unfold" with him so to speak, etc.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with watching the first 4 episodes of this season in a row is that I can't remember what was in the first ep or the fourth ep and not spoil it. It all blends.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The problem with watching the first 4 episodes of this season in a row is that I can't remember what was in the first ep or the fourth ep and not spoil it. It all blends.

Well, what do you think about what happened to Mance Rayder? That was in the first episode.

I'm curious about what Littlefinger's up to. This is an aspect of the book I was extremely curious about, and now we're headed into unknown territory. I have my theory, though.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what do you think about what happened to Mance Rayder? That was in the first episode.

ah, yeah...

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Like an asshole i watched all leaked episodes.

I just hope this leaking wouldn't affect hbo too badly. If it does the budget for the next season will be considerably less.

This is what i think would happen. Not entirely sure how it works.

Glad to see Bonn back. He is such an entertaining character.

Nicodemus

I am fine with what they did with Littlefinger and Sansa. Certainly better than Fake Arya. It also keeps Brienne in the loop, which seems to be among their goals. I imagine they talked it through with George, who, I assume, has different plans for Sansa and Littlefinger, so that the great lines of the narrative do not drift too far apart.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am fine with what they did with Littlefinger and Sansa. Certainly better than Fake Arya. It also keeps Brienne in the loop, which seems to be among their goals. I imagine they talked it through with George, who, I assume, has different plans for Sansa and Littlefinger, so that the great lines of the narrative do not drift too far apart.

I didn't watch the leaked episodes, but I suspected that they were replacing Fake Arya with Sansa.

nos4a2

I find Martin's novels to be incredibly boring, albeit above average, especially compared to the Malazan series...but he is a great film producer/director/writer which makes me think he is more intj than intp since he does better working with others.

I don’t think Martin has ever directed anything.

I read the first book of the Malazan series, but couldn’t get into it enough to invest in reading the entire series. Malazan is about twice as long as Martin’s epic will be, which it often seems to be compared to in a which is better sense. I know Malazan’s hardcore readers think it’s a work of genius, and it may well be. The books seem to have found a permanent place on the Barnes & Noble shelves in any case, though I have yet to meet anyone in person who has read them all. It’s far more convoluted, with a lot more characters to keep track of than Game of Thrones. And the world-building is encyclopedic, in the vein of reading encyclopedias cover to cover (for me this gets in the way of the story). Also, it’s even grayer than Martin’s epic, with no strictly “good” or “evil” characters—it’s all relative to POV. What it comes down to is the story and characters didn’t come alive for me, which is essential in reading a long epic series. Honestly, I wonder how anyone can read Malazan and still have time for a life. Maybe you can fill me in on that. :)

Qre:us

Hunches, after Season 5 (have watched all 4 leaked episodes, never been good with waiting -will watch it again, anyway, when airing on HBO each week):

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hunches, after Season 5 (have watched all 4 leaked episodes, never been good with waiting -will watch it again, anyway, when airing on HBO each week):

Do you want to know how on track you are about these things? I can give you book confirmation on many of them.

I agree that Sansa is an underappreciated character. She was surrounded by people who wanted her dead, were it not her value as a hostage. And yet, she's still alive. She's smarter than people think.

She acts like an idiot in the first season, but how old was she? All of that was just because she bought into all the stuff her parents told her.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^Yep. I've grown to like Sansa more and more over the seasons. She's scrappy in a totally different way from Arya.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don’t think Martin has ever directed anything.

I read the first book of the Malazan series, but couldn’t get into it enough to invest in reading the entire series. Malazan is about twice as long as Martin’s epic will be, which it often seems to be compared to in a which is better sense. I know Malazan’s hardcore readers think it’s a work of genius, and it may well be. The books seem to have found a permanent place on the Barnes & Noble shelves in any case, though I have yet to meet anyone in person who has read them all. It’s far more convoluted, with a lot more characters to keep track of than Game of Thrones. And the world-building is encyclopedic, in the vein of reading encyclopedias cover to cover (for me this gets in the way of the story). Also, it’s even grayer than Martin’s epic, with no strictly “good” or “evil” characters—it’s all relative to POV. What it comes down to is the story and characters didn’t come alive for me, which is essential in reading a long epic series. Honestly, I wonder how anyone can read Malazan and still have time for a life. Maybe you can fill me in on that. :)

I read it slowly...and care not for knowing everything. The world is richer, more real that way. Game of Thrones is everything Don Quixote mocks, and for good reason. It isn't relevant.

Hear me out...I'm not trying to be a contrarian or antagonistic but Martin's books are just not realistic in the sense that there is any pulpable substance that I can carry with me in life. When I read Malazan it is as if I am learning how to live like a soldier, and that is what a man must do today to survive...he must be brutal to himself and surpass his limits, as Henry David used to be as, and as Hawthorn said about Charles Dickens, good literature is relevant as in honest in some aspect, and will lead to ascension.

Martin's literature is brutally dishonest. He claims it is modeled after the real world but you and I both know the fat man smoking his pipe has never even been layed - what does he know of grinding it out day after day in an office, running 10 miles, or serving in the armed forces? He knows nothing of that....

Malazan was written by a more well rounded and soulful person...but that is not important....

I know Martin makes good cake...and we both know he's the head hancho on Games...so he is the real director...but again...you're free to believe what you read...and he is not credited as the director...again I'm not trying to convince you as much as elucidate what Games leads to a lot of nothingness, not just for me, but no one has ever claimed he surpassed LOTR. There is legion saying that about Malazan.

Malazan is truth.

Malazan is not cake...it is steak and potatoes after a ten hour drive or building an empire in the office.

Game of Thrones has it's moments, but good gawd! Reading about the dragon princess is more boring than accounting....I'd rather read technical writing on how to fill out a tax form than about the dragon princess...that ish is just lame sauce.

Reading about women, dragon princes is cool...but from the pov of a fat old man who has never so much as left his house except to buy nachos is not my idea of a good read.

Not to mention Martin ignores the relevant and honest tropes of our generation...he is a throw back to dances with the wolves...some lame austere, big brother ish.

But I love the show...so I give Martin dibs on his directing and producing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hear me out...I'm not trying to be a contrarian or antagonistic but Martin's books are just not realistic in the sense that there is any pulpable substance that I can carry with me in life.

Nothing wrong with that, but Martin has admitted to be a bit of a history buff, and it shows. It reads somewhat like historical fiction of a place that never existed, with magical elements. I ultimately find that because of this, there is a lot I can take with me. The series deals in broad themes, like the effects and uses of power. Other themes include vengeance, the source of authority, religion, duty vs. passions, social structure and order vs. chaos.

As someone with somewhat of an interest in the broader picture of what is going on in the world, there is a great deal I can take with me. All these issues are still with us, and in writing about a fake world, he can say things he maybe couldn't say if he was writing about the real world.

I also think that the characters feel very real to me. I like that element of it; I feel like I'm reading about how people would actually react in a fantasy environment.

I also think he's been laid.

nos4a2

Martin's literature is brutally dishonest. He claims it is modeled after the real world but you and I both know the fat man smoking his pipe has never even been layed - what does he know of grinding it out day after day in an office, running 10 miles, or serving in the armed forces? He knows nothing of that....

Did Steven Erikson ever fight in a war outside of role-playing games? Did he ever use the magic featured in his books? The “write about what you know” maxim is a fallacy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well, if GRRM has never been laid, that would explain all the boobage showing up on my screen.

However, since he's been married twice, that's probably not the reason.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Did Steven Erikson ever fight in a war outside of role-playing games? Did he ever use the magic featured in his books? The “write about what you know” maxim is a fallacy.

Truth is not literal in fiction. It is simply truth as art.

- - - Updated - - -

well, if GRRM has never been laid, that would explain all the boobage showing up on my screen.

However, since he's been married twice, that's probably not the reason.

The question is...when was he married? Before or after he started writing the books?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Nothing wrong with that, but Martin has admitted to be a bit of a history buff, and it shows. It reads somewhat like historical fiction of a place that never existed, with magical elements. I ultimately find that because of this, there is a lot I can take with me. The series deals in broad themes, like the effects and uses of power. Other themes include vengeance, the source of authority, religion, duty vs. passions, social structure and order vs. chaos.

As someone with somewhat of an interest in the broader picture of what is going on in the world, there is a great deal I can take with me. All these issues are still with us, and in writing about a fake world, he can say things he maybe couldn't say if he was writing about the real world.

I also think that the characters feel very real to me. I like that element of it; I feel like I'm reading about how people would actually react in a fantasy environment.

I also think he's been laid.

I alluded to that in my post - he claims to be replicating a skewed version of history but this is not so in his books and in fact quite offensive to those of us who share history the he claims to have used from non-caucasian people...total lies even in fictional form.

This is what I mean by MArtin not being honest in his words....the way he represents certain people of history is wrong even in his transmogrified historically inspired interpretations, and dare I say racist.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh no, is this some kind of anarchist rant? *sigh*

I'm probably just going to recuse myself from this discussion.