• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't expect that episode. Kind of a downer. She was doing so well up to this point. It's like she went batshit crazy for no reason.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well she had more than sufficient reason, logically.... but it wasnt actually translated smoothly on screen, so it feels abrupt. It doesn't help that she mopes around a few days. And then in the episode she clearly decides to do it... it's not like she was out of control. They tried to set it up but bungled

Like, I just went back to watch jaime abandon brienne. Same deal. It's clear that ultimately jaime's top commitment was to his twin but that scene was not written correctly so it really felt like a slap in the face.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yes, but did you like it or not like it? It wasn't perfect, but I'm happy with it overall. It's like the rest of this season. Some really dumb moments, but lots of good stuff. Oh, and regarding something else I've been complaining about...

I liked it, it was impressive from a filming standpoint.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So as far as wild fire goes:

As far as Sandor:

As far as Arya:

As far as Jaime:

As far as Sansa:

As far as Jon:

As far as Cersei:

As far as Varys:

As far as Tyrion:

As far as Grey Worm:

As far as Dany:

As far as Dany + Jon:

As far as Harry Strickland:

more thoughts later...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked it, it was impressive from a filming standpoint.

I liked that it showed the audience what the thing everyone was wanting for years would actually look like, and it's not pretty.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I liked that it showed the audience what the thing everyone was wanting for years would actually look like, and it's not pretty.

I agree.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jenn really said a lot of what I was thinking myself so I don't have much to add. I did just want to say the following:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm wondering if there is even a need for "Westeros" per se anymore.

I mean, pretty much all the areas have been trampled.

Anyway, unless there's a military presence with enough strength to go out and literally beat each area back into submission OR there is some external threat that arises to force everyone together to repel it (and we see how well that worked last time), Westeros is pretty much gone. And if you beat areas back into submission, you then have to rebuild all of that to get it functional again.

Destroying the wheel is an awesome idea, but afterwards you have a bunch of broken wheels and a cart that goes nowhere.

Anyway, we might see what happened I guess like what happened with the USSR when it fell apart... all these small countries taking charge of themselves and fighting for resources individually, with varying degrees of success. Eventually consolidation will occur when it becomes both possible and productive. The cycle will restart.

Red Keep:

Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 5: Three reviewers discuss - The Atlantic
'Game of Thrones' Series Finale Predictions: Who Will Win the Iron Throne? | Hollywood Reporter
Critic's Notebook: In the End, 'Game of Thrones' Finds a Way to Make Its Woman Problem Worse | Hollywood Reporter

Deprecator

Yet even more clues...?

"Littlefinger was a mask he had to wear...it was hard to tell where the man ended and the mask began" - Sansa Stark.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So as far as wild fire goes:

As far as Sandor:

As far as Arya:

As far as Jaime:

As far as Sansa:

As far as Jon:

As far as Cersei:

As far as Varys:

As far as Tyrion:

As far as Grey Worm:

As far as Dany:

As far as Dany + Jon:

As far as Harry Strickland:

more thoughts later...

I agree with the sentiment about Dany here. I do feel she is more of an anti-hero in a sense. I don't think at that point her focus even was the throne anymore but revenge - for everything, even the very past where they killed off her family. I do not think that makes someone mad, but it makes them very human.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with the sentiment about Dany here. I do feel she is more of an anti-hero in a sense. I don't think at that point her focus even was the throne anymore but revenge - for everything, even the very past where they killed off her family. I do not think that makes someone mad, but it makes them very human.

I've seen some comment about how rationally sometimes this happens during a takeover, as a rational decision, to basically dissuade further rebellion.... but the showrunners said they viewed her as making this decision spontaneously. It wasn't part of a larger plan. It was a clearly a choice made from a non-insane mind, because she was upset, from what they said.

I just think they didn't really set it up well enough. I would have been fine with her gunning for the Red Keep because that was her enemy she was mad at. Typically she punishes people who specifically have done wrong (like the Masters).

All in all, I just see it all as pacing issues. I don't have an issue with the plot points and maybe they will even mirror the eventual books -- but I'm really sure GRRM will have paced the story well enough that we will understand better how the characters get from Point A to Point B. The show did not take enough time to justify the sometimes shocking and incomprehensible decisions, after taking a long time to establish them in other directions.

My feelings towards Cersei have always been mixed. She was the character I hated most when I first watch the first few seasons -- she is everything I am not as a person, and I found her petty, spiteful, vindictive, unfair, and someone who does not value objective truth. But I had more compassion for her on later viewings + in seasons 5-6, I found things I could empathize with.

But then she suddenly become much less "rich" as a character in the final two seasons, so I just don't much care anymore about her. No criticism of Lena Headey, she did a wonderful job of playing her; it was again the writing.

Poor Qyburn. Oh well, at least while he was alive he got a pretty awesome R&D budget, and that's all a mad scientist can really hope for.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, Memorium Hall. Saying goodbye to two of my favorite characters on the show:

oberyn-martell-profile.jpg

Oberyn Martell

2ba39f83ba89f330c2043ef730f800d2.jpg

Olenna Tyrell

The world felt less rich without them in it.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I always knew she was terrible, but why the excess? She could have just nuked the Red Keep, not slowly worked her way there burning out everything else first.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That petition is up to about 390,000 signers now. :rotfl:

Deprecator

"Nissa Nissa ​was the wife of the legendary hero Azor Ahai. In order to unleash the powers of the sword Lightbringer so that he could defeat the darkness of the Great Other, he had to sacrifice her. Nissa Nissa's cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon."

maxresdefault.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Petition over 900k.

I actually find the petition creator pretty cogent, here us something he added to explain the petition.

As this petition approaches a million signatures, I figured I should give a real update and explanation.

I made this petition some few days after Episode 4, “The Last of the Starks”, aired. I was just so disappointed and angry. It was simply me venting a bit. I posted it to r/freefolk on Reddit, it got nowhere, and I shrugged and went about my day. I had forgotten all about it. A week later, a coworker caught me before I was leaving for the day and asked, “Hey, is this you?” The petition had almost reached 500,000 signatures. I was blown away. I hadn’t checked the thing for a week! And look at how far it has come!

I haven’t heard from anyone HBO-related. I don’t think people can reasonably expect HBO to completely remake the season, or any part of this particular series (keep in mind the prequel spinoffs). It costs a fortune to shoot one episode, and I think most signers understand that. Will HBO lose gobs of money over this? Eh probably not. As Heath Ledger’s Joker once said, “It’s not about the money, it’s about sending a message.” And I think this message is one of frustration and disappointment at its core.

There is so much awful crap going on in the world, people like me need to escape into things like Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We fans invested a wealth of passion and time into this series. I’ve been watching religiously since Season 2, myself. I’ve read all the books and eagerly await the next two. I love this story, and I, like most of you, was crushed to see how the last season (and Season 7, let’s be real) has been handled.

Is Dany going to succumb to madness in the books? Probably. Is Arya going to kill the Night King? Well he doesn’t exist in the books as of yet so…maybe? Is Jaime going to sacrifice his entire character arc to go embrace Cersei? I’d doubt it, but that’s GRRM’s decision. The issue I have is not necessarily with what we got, it’s HOW we got there -- A rushed, laughably inconsistent mess of a season fraught with cringe-inducing, arc-slaying dialogue and “everybody is stupid” syndrome. We can expect that the books will describe a more sensical path toward the ultimate conclusions that we will see on Sunday. No pressure, Mr. Martin.

D&D adapted those books in the beginning and it became one of the greatest TV shows of all time. No one can doubt their talents there. But they seemingly became tired of the series and rushed to the end, thereby doing the show and its fans a great disservice.

I feel for the actors and actresses too. I am sure some of them are happy with their arcs or perhaps are just happy to be done with the series so they can move on, but I am also sure that many are disappointed with the writing of their characters and the plot here in the end. They put their souls into these characters, and they could be every bit as disappointed as we are.

And no one can question the talents of the casting department, and cinematography, and music, and costuming, and the CGI team, and all those technical fields that went into keeping the show such a beautiful spectacle through to the end. They deserve all the accolades they can get and this petition is not a comment on their contributions to the show.

In closing, I didn’t make this petition to be an entitled, whiny fan. I made it because I was immensely disappointed and needed to vent. Do I have a solution? I’ve got plenty of ideas, but no, I’m not a Hollywood writer. But you don’t need to be a mechanic to know your car is broken.

Thank you to everyone for signing this silly thing. I will post another update if something tangible happens.

Valar Morghulis

Deprecator

IMO the final episode can still redeem the rest of the season, and more than make up for a few subpar fillers.

Vegas odds on who will rule Westeros:
Jon Snow: +225
Bran Stark: +275
Sansa Stark: +500
Daenerys Targaryen: +550
Gendry: +650
Petyr Baelish: +1,250
Tyrion Lannister: +1,500
Arya Stark: +2,000
Samwell Tarly: +2,000
Cersei Lannister: +2,500
Jon and Daenerys’ baby: +2,500
Jaime Lannister: +4,000
Varys: +7,000

I am very much forced to agree with Lord Varys, both in his sincere effort to serve the realm and in his assessment of Baelish. "A man with great ambition and no morals -- I wouldn't bet against you."