• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was very impressed with the way they handled the scene between Melisandre (sic?) and Davos at the end.

I was really worried that they were going to screw that up, and they didn't.

I don't know how I feel about the way they handled the tickler.

They replaced the guy that used to play the Mountain. The new one seems way too skinny.

They are really committed to showing how crazy Joffrey is. The scene with him and his birthday present was pretty brave.

I like the TV version melisandre more than I did the book version. Hated that bitch in the books.

I feel like I would have a hard time following the show if I hadn't read the books.

Either way, I enjoyed the episode.

A

Anew Leaf

That is really hard to say. I think there has not been a single scene that I would consider perfect, so the dislike varies but is never entirely absent. One of the scenes from the last episode that was particularly bad was the one in which Catelyn approaches Renley at his tournament thing. It is bad because the actors look just like actors speaking lines in a small and shabby TV set: no atmosphere, no meaning, no importance. Now, much of that is due to the budget; but a team of good filmmakers could have made a much better scene with the resources available.

None of the changes bother me that much, yet they seem unnecessary. I imagine the writers had a reason for it, but was it really unavoidable, for instance, to show us already just how shrewd Margaery actually is? It gives Cersei's actions in the future a very different flavor. Was it necessary to show us what kind of person Littlefinger really is in the first season?

The list of actors that annoy me is long. One that irks me in particular is Aidan Gillen. He seems to be incapable of delivering a line without false haughtiness. The German dubbing I saw on TV actually improved his performance! I think I made a list somewhere of the actors I liked; most of the others annoy me to some degree.

After watching this week's episode I am starting to move toward your camp.

The stuff with Joffrey is getting overplayed... We get it already. I don't like how.... "transparent" Littlefinger is with all of his plots and plots within plots. He looks weak. I agree on Margaery... it seemed too much too fast.

However, Peter Dinklage saves the entire series for me right now. He is so delightful to watch.

Maybe the problem is that the series has too small a budget for it to be given its fair due in scope.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I like the TV version melisandre more than I did the book version. Hated that bitch in the books.
But I think you're supposed to hate Melisandre. I do not like her TV portrayal at all. Not one bit.

However, Peter Dinklage saves the entire series for me right now. He is so delightful to watch.

For sure. He's really more fantastic than words can describe.

You know who else I really love? Stannis. When I first saw him, I wasn't sure... But I really feel like the actor/the scenes have changed my perception of his character in a good way. Just little things like the scene with Davos where he corrects his grammar. Like... Damn, you gotta have some iron balls to correct someones grammar while you're talking about the fingers you cut off of him. That cold/steely personality of his is fantastic. I've grown to love him.

Maybe it's because I see so much STJness in Stannis. :tongue: I'm biased.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But I think you're supposed to hate Melisandre. I do not like her TV portrayal at all. Not one bit.

Don't like like you think she's being poorly handled by the show, or as in you don't like the character but the show is doing well with her?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Don't like like you think she's being poorly handled by the show, or as in you don't like the character but the show is doing well with her?

Poorly handled by the show. I found her much more malicious, evil, and even frustrating in the book. Her very presence was frustrating. And I don't think the TV version is like that at all. She's more likable here.

Nicodemus

After watching this week's episode I am starting to move toward your camp.
Welcome! We serve bitter, old and wrinkled truth, but our jaws are strong.

I hate to dance out of line again, and on such a favorite dance: I think he is being a bit too playful. Particularly as the Hand, Tyrion does not want to appear comical.

I think the important difference is that we do not see her through Davos' eyes in the show. As far as I have noticed, there is not much new about her actions or how she comports herself.

F

figsfiggyfigs

If I hear "the night is dark and full of terrors" one more fucking time, I'm going to punch my screen.

A

Anew Leaf

What is dead can never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

TWSS.

Also, yes... *sips bitter drink of bitterness*

I see your point about tyrion. I guess in comparison to everything else going on, I have to grasp at something.

I feel like reading CoK over again but it might make me more depressed. I hope the scene when dany visits that house of crazy is done well. *grasps at straws*

A

Anew Leaf

Ok I also forgot that I hated that scene with Robb and the medic chick. As soon as I saw him glance over I groaned.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate to dance out of line again, and on such a favorite dance: I think he is being a bit too playful. Particularly as the Hand, Tyrion does not want to appear comical.
He had some fantastic scenes in Ep4 in particular - I don't see him coming off as comical there, although he does have a wry sense of humour that comes through sometimes. I'm constantly amazed at the presence he manages to portray without coming off as comical, actually.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
You know who hasn't gotten enough love in this thread? Bronn.

Fucking Bronn, man.

Bronn is fantastic.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ok I also forgot that I hated that scene with Robb and the medic chick. As soon as I saw him glance over I groaned.

Did that happen in CoK? I didn't remember it.

No, it didn't. No character with POV was there, so it was original.

Book 3 spoiler

Nicodemus

That is what I thought as well, hoping against hope that they are merely and clumsily introducing Robb the Sexually Adventurous as opposed to Robb the Little Eddard.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
That is what I thought as well, hoping against hope that they are merely and clumsily introducing Robb the Sexually Adventurous as opposed to Robb the Little Eddard.

That's what I was worried about as well.

A

Anew Leaf

No, it didn't. No character with POV was there, so it was original.

Book 3 spoiler

Yeah, I got that. I guess I just found it very clumsily done. And....

This is sort of what I am concerned about as well, and why I found it annoying.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know who else I really love? Stannis. When I first saw him, I wasn't sure... But I really feel like the actor/the scenes have changed my perception of his character in a good way. Just little things like the scene with Davos where he corrects his grammar. Like... Damn, you gotta have some iron balls to correct someones grammar while you're talking about the fingers you cut off of him. That cold/steely personality of his is fantastic. I've grown to love him.

I agree, he's been my favorite since he first appeared; and perhaps slightly even before that, with his whole unlikable reputation and all.

A

Anew Leaf

You know who hasn't gotten enough love in this thread? Bronn.

Fucking Bronn, man.

Bronn is fantastic.

/concur!

The interplay with him and Tyrion is so much fun to watch. I loved last night with them in the throne room.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think they are overplaying the fantasy hand a bit. Martin worked so hard to keep magic in the background: ominous yet subtle. They balanced it well last season, but in this season I feel like I'm watching a lower budget, R rated version of Lord of the Rings.

I still like the show, but I'm feeling a bit disappointed so far. (Although admittedly, season 1 didn't gain steam until Episode 5 or so.) Books 4 and beyond are going to require a lot of changes, and based on what I'm seeing with book 2, I must admit I'm not feeling 100% optimistic.

I think I'm going to quit watching the show until all 10 air. Perhaps that will improve the viewing experience.