• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Game of Thrones!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, this particular stratagem crossed my mind for this Sunday's episode:

EDIT: Also....

I think this is probably the 'best' episode so far this season, in terms of consistency. Some of the episodes had good parts, but here things were all fairly solid. A lot of the proper tone was struck among all the people experiencing a reunion, there were things of interest happening in all the parts, and of course the last twenty minutes.

One of the reviewers got confused and thought Cersei had lost all the gold in that assault; but it's very clear (and I thought I heard it during first viewing too) -- Samwell's dad says that the last of the gold carts had just made it inside king's Landing. So they must be somewhere NEAR King's Landing along the coastline. But these are pretty much all the folks who Jaime was too kind-hearted to flog, to move them along... I bet they wish he had been much more of a taskmaster at this stage.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
hehe

69e.png

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All these speculations and theories aside..

Daenerys watching from S1 all the way to now S7, she's a total Aries archetype. A new beginner, the "one", "initiative" if no one will take a risk.. who will?

I also say Cercei is a total Scorpio archetype.. she is ruthless and cunning and will go to any "extreme" to get her way...

fire vs water

Daenerys will only win if she gets to clear up the north, but it comes at the cost of the south licking up their wounds a bit to have a better strategy... but the north being the largest region, she needs to secure and she'll have many by her side.. there is a romance unscripted by Jon and Daenerys, their proximity shows that. (reference Behind the Scenes)

Lol the Bran, me watching the series again recently "chaos is a ladder", I thought that was cute. Littlefinger was underestimating Bran for a little bit..

forget if Jaime is dead or not... is Bran Stark dead?

though you can't blame Jaime for doing what he did.. there's a fucking dragon on the ground

S4 E8 paraphrase (Gregor vs Oberyn) Tyrion comments a relief that no longer how big a person is, if they're flat it doesn't matter what their size is.

While Bronn did what he had to, it was foolish as a war tactic to show too early.. because then it's no longer a "surprise" for Daenerys

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
S4 E10:

Arya: Who taught you how to fight?

Brienne: My father.

S7 E4:

Brienne: Who taught you how to fight?

Arya: No One.

Such a clever retort.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
S4 E10:

Arya: Who taught you how to fight?

Brienne: My father.

S7 E4:

Brienne: Who taught you how to fight?

Arya: No One.

Such a clever retort.

Was it retort? If so was it even clever?

I think she was referring to the faceless men when she said no one; but wasn't it Syrio Farel who taught her that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Game of Thrones season 7: 'The Spoils of War' was spectacular, but [fan favorite] should've died - Vox

I think she was referring to the faceless men when she said no one; but wasn't it Syrio Farel who taught her that?

I think there was a conversation behind her and Brienne a few seasons ago where she asked Brienne how she learned to fight like that and Brienne said, "my father" (?). So this quip is rehashing that.

And yes, obviously she is referring to the Faceless Men. Maybe Syrio was her original teacher, but she sure didn't have much time with him; and whatever she really stepped up to learn, to deal with Brienne, came from her Faceless Men time. It's just Syrio who was her first teacher who really opened her eyes to the possibilities. (Also... what was Syrio's identity? I think there have been arguments over that as well...)

So yeah, it's ironic, it's an inside joke for her, and it's a joke between them based on history. But it's a bit muddled.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That's what I thought to hence that I capitalized the O in One. Brienne may not know, but she did clearly give her an answer.. well Arya was somewhat good with Syrio Farel.. but obviously her training to become no one is what made her great.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Bronn didn't need to die lol, we need to see some angst with Tyrion more.

Jaime isn't gonna die either. Simple as that.. how are people confused that Jaime is dead when people like The Hound made it alive bleeding out?

If jaime is tough enough to run out of the Stark camp when he was captured, he can get out of the murky depths of the water with Bronn's help.

I think the critics need to be more patient. For like 2 major characters to die within the first battle is kind of boring imo.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bronn didn't need to die lol, we need to see some angst with Tyrion more.

Jaime isn't gonna die either. Simple as that.. how are people confused that Jaime is dead when people like The Hound made it alive bleeding out?

If jaime is tough enough to run out of the Stark camp when he was captured, he can get out of the murky depths of the water with Bronn's help.

I think the critics need to be more patient. For like 2 major characters to die within the first battle is kind of boring imo.

I think the issue is more that -- as opposed to Martin's work on the series -- it's now very clear that certain characters are wearing what is known as "Plot Armor" or even "Fan Armor." The series has lost its courage and wants to somehow build emotional stakes without actual risk. We did get a few deaths this season (which isn't even the litmus test, really, for "good"... these deaths just happened), but how they were handled generated little emotional impact. I loved the battle itself, but I'm mostly bored by the season because there is little emotional engagement right now.

I referenced "Better Call Saul" because it's a series that doesn't tend to put out unless it means it... like the departure of a major character in the last moments of Season 3. They discussed how much they hated it when a series will throw out an episode-end cliffhanger and then essentially retract it next time out because they were never actually serious... it's just an attempt to jerk the audience around. I think the ending of this battle was kinda one of those moments, but that wasn't something Martin was selling when he was dictating the plot points, really. It's odd to see a series that used to be known for playing high-stakes to revert to something without many stakes.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was recently playing Game of Thrones - The RPG, and was presented with this dillema, as Bran :

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Leslie Jones was so hilarious about last week's episode...

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Actually that kind of plot twist has already become the Conventional Wisdom if you read any commentaries about Game of Thrones online. It will be more surprising if something else happens. We saw more seeds of it planted tonight.

I don't know. It's not really clear what the ending is. The most the Walkers will get is a statemate if they have legitimate needs; if they are just evil, then they will be pushed back somehow, but it's not clear who will live.

There are other contenders. The prophecy say the little brother, but it doesn't specify that it will be her little brother. There's a number of other younger male siblings who might have a shot. Uncle Greyjoy was a younger brother - I could imagine him marrying Cercei and then killing her shortly afterwards... But I don't think that will happen. I think another black horse contender for the role could be the Hound, the Mountain's little brother. Those two have hated each other for a long time, it would almost seem strange if they didn't end up fighting to the death at some point. Why? Perhaps because of Arya. She wants to kill the queen, so will be heading to Kinglanding at some point. If he hears about her, the Hound may well follow - there's definitely unfinished business between those two.

As for the King of the White Walkers, I'm not sure if he is really evil at all. He used to be a normal human, till the Children turned him into a monster to fight the human invaders. He may be doing what he does for no reason other than that the Children's curse forces him to do it. He probably didn't have to kill the Children, but he did anyway, because he hates them and they forget to specify that he couldn't.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I like this season better than the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. 5 mangled a bunch of stuff from the books, and season 6 was kind of predictable and felt like a bunch of checklists. This is more surprising... I feel a lot of tension and suspense, and actually feel surprise at plot developments. Things feel a lot less like sloppy truncation.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Leslie Jones was so hilarious about last week's episode...

She is one of the best things on Twitter.

So much happened in this episode!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I felt like we went from the best episode of the season (episode 4) to one of the worst of the season and maybe the series. I think the series is feeling more and more like a soap opera the longer the season progresses.

There were a few moments where the show felt substantial:

But most of it was full of bizarre plots twists/oddities, starting with the opening (which we discussed in detail last week)... unbelievable... and then followed by this super-crazy mission beyond the wall to, well, do something that I am not even sure why it would even accomplish anything. and a bunch of other stuff that felt like introducing character after character as part of glowy fan service.

Occasionally there would be a good line, but it didn't excuse the thinness of the plot and the characterization. This episode even more than the others has really felt like pieces just being pushed at a crazy speed around the board without regard for common sense, logistics, or purpose.

I was bummed as I just spent the weekend with my kids, so my son and I could finally watch an episode TOGETHER for once.... and, well, we got this instead. I am not even sure why it was named what it was named, because nothing happened there.

EDIT: And yeah, as ceecee says, things are rocketing along:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I felt like we went from the best episode of the season (episode 4) to one of the worst of the season and maybe the series. I think the series is feeling more and more like a soap opera the longer the season progresses.

There were a few moments where the show felt substantial:

But most of it was full of bizarre plots twists/oddities, starting with the opening (which we discussed in detail last week)... unbelievable... and then followed by this super-crazy mission beyond the wall to, well, do something that I am not even sure why it would even accomplish anything. and a bunch of other stuff that felt like introducing character after character as part of glowy fan service.

Occasionally there would be a good line, but it didn't excuse the thinness of the plot and the characterization. This episode even more than the others has really felt like pieces just being pushed at a crazy speed around the board without regard for common sense, logistics, or purpose.

I was bummed as I just spent the weekend with my kids, so my son and I could finally watch an episode TOGETHER for once.... and, well, we got this instead. I am not even sure why it was named what it was named, because nothing happened there.

It's just going so fast that nothing seems very developed. I didn't think of soap opera but yeah.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just going so fast that nothing seems very developed.

That. There is nothing here I really will ever want to rewatch again, there's just no real character drama occurring or really breathless plotting.

I really do plan to read the books that Martin writes after this. I want the depth.