• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typical Length of a Novel

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So I'm writing a book called They Are Gods and I'm trying to make sure I write enough for a sufficient story. I was wondering, how many words are usually in a book aimed at a young adult/adult audience? Also, what is the average amount of chapters, or wrods per chapter?

Thanks. :)

P

Phantonym

That depends on the size of the font and the layout of the book. +1 to what Nic said.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would not pay too much attention to that. write your story and make it as long as it organically grows.

If it's a short, coherent story line, you've got yourself a novella, if it goes on and on and meanders through time and space and mixes a lot of story lines, you end up with a novel. A novel goes for a broader abroach. However, there is no clear definition of length for the short story (though that one is supposed to be read in one sitting), novella or novel. It is the content and style that defines them.

If you hope to sell your book to a specific target group to primarily make some money with it, do some market research: What does the kind of story you want to write usually encompass, how long are they, who reads them and what is usually successful, etc.

If you want to write because it gives you pleasure or because you perceive it as your calling and you want to become an artist, forget about all that and follow your gut. If you don't trust your gut, you can still try to learn from some writers you admire.

Snoopy+Writer.bmp

By the way, I think there are a few writers on the forum who even have a little group of their own going on.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alright then, guess I'll just go with my gut and see what my hands bring to the paper. Thanks for the advice guys :yes:

Oh, and there's a group of writers on here? What group would that be?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Tamske founded it. There is at least one group and/or thread for writers, of that I'm certain.

A

Anew Leaf

Alright then, guess I'll just go with my gut and see what my hands bring to the paper. Thanks for the advice guys :yes:

Oh, and there's a group of writers on here? What group would that be?

I never worry about how many words constitute a novel because that would mean I would have to sit down and write it.

Sigh.... I really wish I could clone myself and make that clone an ENTJ to kick my ass and get my books (I have at least 3 in my mind) done.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The English translation of War and Peace is between 1,440 and 1,222, but as far as I know, most people would rather read Anna Karenina, which is only 838 pages.

If Tolstoy's standards are a bit too ambitious for you, take heart that one of the best selling novelists of all time, Agatha Christie, averaged around 300 pages per novel.

Both can be taught in university literature classes.

However, going less than 250 pages seems below average.

Then again, you could write a novella instead. Like Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis or George Orwell's Animal Farm. They range between 60 and 130 pages.

A

Anew Leaf

I actually really like long books IF there is something being said worth reading.

For example, I love the Song of Ice and Fire books by George RR Martin. (Dear God, please let him live long enough to finish this series. <3 - Me)

But for one of my college classes I was supposed to read Ulysses by James Joyce. I wanted to kill myself. That book could easily have stopped on page 1: Nothing to see here, Really.

Nicodemus

If I remember correctly, Vladimir Nabokov named 'The Metamorphosis', 'Ulysses' and 'In Search of Lost Time' as the best books of fiction written in the 20th century.

The Metamorphosis: 19,000 words
Ulysses: 265,000 words
In Search of Lost Time: 1,500,000 words

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm mostly a science fiction reader. I do love nice tight 250 page novels.

A

Anew Leaf

If I remember correctly, Vladimir Nabokov named 'The Metamorphosis', 'Ulysses' and 'In Search of Lost Time' as the best books of fiction written in the 20th century.

The Metamorphosis: 19,000 words
Ulysses: 265,000 words
In Search of Lost Time: 1,500,000 words

Yeah, Ulysses tops many "best of" novel lists.... and I have tried three times to read it and just couldn't do it. It was even worse than Heart of Darkness was. :(

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Usually novels shorter than 250-300 pages are pretty rare, even by paperback standards, I think... However, before you constrain yourself, remember that Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men has a little over 100 pages and Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea is even shorter; as a matter of fact, Hemingway famously crafted a six-word "story":

"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."

Have fun, SI! If you ever get published, tell me how I can purchase a copy! :newwink:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Yeah, Ulysses tops many "best of" novel lists.... and I have tried three times to read it and just couldn't do it. It was even worse than Heart of Darkness was. :(

I once saw Ulysses described as "the greatest nover ever made that no one reads". :smile:

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on lots of stuff.

The genre is a biggie. Most genres tend to have a typical length.

And while people are right when they've said, "As long as it needs to be," that's sort of misleading. A friend of mine said that when she sent in her first novel she wrote it at 300k words and they immediately told her to trim it down to 100k.

Usually you'll see it be somewhere around 100k. 60k to 100k, if I had to guess a range.

Page numbers are arbitrary, since part of the process is deciding on typeset, page size, etc. I defy you to find two different editions of a book that have comparable page numbers. Word count is the currency, not page numbers.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I just finished the first version of my manuscript one and a half weeks ago. It's around 200 pages in Garamond 12 (127000 words).