• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rediscovering Television

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah Yeah I know none of you watch TV or own a TV. Internet folks don't seem to like TV and I haven't really watched TV in over 5 years, and I've lost interest in it.I don't even know what's on anymore.

I decided that I want to become reacquainted with TV again. I know that sounds insane but I've come to see the value in it. It's sort of like a visual escapism and I could use a bit of that from time to time. I'm truly bored and sick of the internet, and it'd be cool to fall asleep in front of the boob tube on late nights.

So tell me, what are some of your favorite television shows and why?

T

ThatGirl

Lol, I actually made the decision to start watching TV again so that I would remember how people interact with each other. :p

So far, I still like some of my old shows, but with TK in the house I mostly watch the tween shows on Disney channel. They aren't half bad...

Other than that I watch documentaries, Criminal Minds, and So You Think You Can Dance.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hardly ever watch TV and don't have cable. I don't really channel surf. Instead I rent DVDs of TV series from the library.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watch every house and glee episode EVAR and catch up on how I met your mother every so often. That's about it for current shows, although I enjoy so you think you can dance if I see it's on. Oh and I'm working my way through community, slowly.

Breaking bad was really interesting for a while, but it got really depressing and stressful (i.e. non-fun) to watch so I stopped.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I use to watch House every week. I watch the big bang theory, though I tend to wait for the dvds to come out and catch up that way. I'm a tv feign honestly but I wait til it's on netflix so I can watch them in order, since I never remember when they're on tv and I can spend 2-3 days watching a season at a time. I finally got caught up on Bones (one of my favorite shows)and Glee is awesome. My mom actually had to watch it for a research project she was doing (I don't remember what the project was though), but she ended up falling in love with the show and got my dad into it (and he's the type of person that thinks everything that isn't csi, the weather channel, or the 24 hour news channel is goofy)

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's a good time to return to TV. I think the Golden Age of TV started in the mid-90s and continues today. People who say it's crap either watch the wrong things, don't watch anything, or want to look smart.

Current network series I like are The Simpsons (still), 30 Rock, Community, Chuck, and House. I also like Letterman's and Conan's late night shows, lots of Food Network shows (The Best Thing I Ever Ate is a favorite), and lately I've had some time off work and am really enjoying reruns of Law & Order (all flavors).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Actually, my family just got an awesome HDTV!

And what do you mean people on the internet don't watch TV? I think it's just these forums. Everyone else here seems very intellectual.

I don't watch any shows regularly but I enjoy watching House, Family Guy, World's Dumbest, Mystery Diagnosis (though it's not really on any more :(), Avatar: The Last Airbender (the movie SUCKS, btw), Friends, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, I'm Alive (survival stories), and various other shows... usually on the Discover Network. I wish I had the Science channel and I wish Oprah hadn't taken the Discovery Health Channel. I could watch the DHC all day.

Everyone looks like they watch House. :laugh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'll be the only one in this thread that isn't enamored of House. I'll take his pill-popping counterpart, Nurse Jackie (on Showtime). Best show on tv right now, I think. Edie Falco is brilliant, great supporting cast, wonderful writing (both the comedic and dramatic elements are equally engaging).

I also regularly watch 30 Rock (consistently funny and sharp), How I Met Your Mother (funny, great cast), RuPaul's Drag Race (so much fun), Community (though I'm not as crazy about it as I once was) and any number of forensics and ghost hunter shows. The latter are my filler/background noise staples. Louie, Louis C.K.'s show on FX, is hilarious, too, but it's between seasons right now.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The only TV shows I watch regularly now are House (I'm not as into it as I used to be, but I still care enough to tune in) and Big Bang Theory (because it's funny and I like the characters). I'll also watch the occasional documentary or quiz show.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll be the only one in this thread that isn't enamored of House.

I can keep you company.

Suggestions: Community (funniest show on TV right now), Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Archer (2nd funniest), Louie (maybe this is 2nd funniest? but it's between seasons), Curb Your Enthusiasm (coming back soon), Breaking Bad (best drama on right now, between seasons), Mad Men (between seasons), and pretty much any show on HBO is gonna be good, but I'll make special note of Treme (soon to enter it's second season, from the creator of the The Wire, which is the best show ever and, to my knowledge, the only show that has it's own course at some major universities and is curriculum material for its class on urban inequality)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I rarely watch TV, except PowNews (that's a funny news program) and a few other programs.

Noon

I'll be the only one in this thread that isn't enamored of House. I'll take his pill-popping counterpart, Nurse Jackie (on Showtime). Best show on tv right now, I think. Edie Falco is brilliant, great supporting cast, wonderful writing (both the comedic and dramatic elements are equally engaging).

I also regularly watch 30 Rock (consistently funny and sharp), How I Met Your Mother (funny, great cast), RuPaul's Drag Race (so much fun), Community (though I'm not as crazy about it as I once was) and any number of forensics and ghost hunter shows. The latter are my filler/background noise staples. Louie, Louis C.K.'s show on FX, is hilarious, too, but it's between seasons right now.

No way! A Drag Race fan on TypeC?

Who is your favorite?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
No way! A Drag Race fan on TypeC?

Who is your favorite?

Heck, yeah, I've seen all 3 seasons! :-D

I think my favorite this season is Raja, though I kinda wish she'd stop being so catty backstage. All that "Heathers" stuff makes me want to puke. You?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a good time to return to TV. I think the Golden Age of TV started in the mid-90s and continues today. People who say it's crap either watch the wrong things, don't watch anything, or want to look smart.

I will second this. TV has been fantastic for the last 12 years or so. There are many worthwhile shows, though some of the best have ended their runs already.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch Smallville and American Idol these days.

Noon

Heck, yeah, I've seen all 3 seasons! :-D

Nice! S2 is what pulled me in. I could never get into S1 unfortunately.

I think my favorite this season is Raja, though I kinda wish she'd stop being so catty backstage. All that "Heathers" stuff makes me want to puke. You?

[fangirl moment]

I love Raja soo much. :wubbie::wubbie:
Charisma, posture, demeanor, attitude, humor, creativity -- really, almost everything. Even voice! Both in and out of drag. God, and her patriotic look absolutely slayed me. I'd love to go to one of her shows.

[/fangirl moment]

The Heathers thing was mildly cute in the beginning. Then it got annoying. Very annoying. Fast. Zero comedic value at that. I get so irritated each time one of them uses the word "booger" to refer to one of the others, too. It's one of the reasons why my like for Delta started to decrease so quickly. (Though she never got as bad as Shangela)

I'm frequently judged or side-eyed for this, but: I like Carmen too. I can't explain it very well. She makes me laugh so much -- sometimes at her expense, though I still like her -- and she's oddly endearing. Yara is my 3rd. She somewhat reminds me of Jessica, though somehow "softer"? I love her personality. I love how she rarely gossips or gets catty during Untucked too.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Nice! S2 is what pulled me in. I could never get into S1 unfortunately.

Oh, S2 was sooooo much better than S1! I started on S2, and then caught up with S1 in re-runs when I ran out of S2 eps. The talent was much, much better the second season than the first. I loved me some Pandora Boxx and Jujubee. I started out liking Raven, but her personality totally ruined it for me.

[fangirl moment]

I love Raja soo much. :wubbie::wubbie:
Charisma, posture, demeanor, attitude, humor, creativity -- really, almost everything. Even voice! Both in and out of drag. God, and her patriotic look absolutely slayed me. I'd love to go to one of her shows.

[/fangirl moment]

She really is head and shoulders over everyone else. I love her natural comic sense, and she has creativity to burn. If she doesn't win, something's very wrong.

The Heathers thing was mildly cute in the beginning. Then it got annoying. Very annoying. Fast. Zero comedic value at that. I get so irritated each time one of them uses the word "booger" to refer to one of the others, too. It's one of the reasons why my like for Delta started to decrease so quickly. (Though she never got as bad as Shangela)

TOTALLY. I really liked Delta until her raging insecurity started coming out and making her into an unbearable bitch. But I like her onstage. I was kind of thinking they'd bring her back last week. I'm so torn with Shangela! I kind of like her, but she's done her share of backstabbing, too, and she's not ready to be the winner of this competition--BUT, she is a natural performer. I bet she'd be fun to watch in cabaret.

I'm frequently judged or side-eyed for this, but: I like Carmen too. I can't explain it very well. She makes me laugh so much -- sometimes at her expense, though I still like her -- and she's oddly endearing. Yara is my 3rd. She somewhat reminds me of Jessica, though somehow "softer"? I love her personality. I love how she rarely gossips or gets catty during Untucked too.

Carmen is kind of the Tatiana of this season, and I kind of liked Tatiana. I mean, they're not the performers that the others are, but having the physical aspect sewn up isn't a liability, to me. It just seems to bring out the cattiness, envy and stabbiness in other contestants. (Note: I had to wiki s2 to remember Tatiana's name, and they list everyone's real name. Did you know Jujubee's real first name is AIRLINE?)

I kind of feel like Yara + Alexis Mateo = Jessica Wild. I like both Yara and Alexis, personality-wise. And I like Manila, performance-wise. But Raja is definitely the standout!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Giggly, I'm sure you've seen episodes of The Office before. I think you'd enjoy getting into that, possibly.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dont have cable anymore but when I did watch TV I watched The Real House Wives of <<Insert City Here>>, a guilty pleasure of mine...embarrassing I know! It was just fun to watch crazy rich broads be all dramatic and diva-ish I guess ;).

Top Chef was the show I watched religiously....I love a good competition :).

Mad Men was awesome....love the set decor and style!!!!

The Walking Dead was cool too if your in to creepy zombie stuff.