• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eyes Wide Shut: One Big...

F

figsfiggyfigs

WTF.

I watched the movie for the first time today.
Yeah, I didn't like this movie. I went on the IMDB forum to read through the discussions to see if I'm missing anything. I wasn't, yet I still have one giant 'WTF' hanging over my head.

Discuss.

Also, Tom Cruise cries like a bitch.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Wait, why do you want to bother discussing a mediocre movie? :alttongue:

O

Oberon

I read the Wikipedia synopsis of Eyes Wide Shut, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why Kubrick thought this was a movie. What are the stakes? Where's the character arc? What's resolved by the denoument? Why should we care about these people?

It was all a big shrug to me. Sounded like a highbrow excuse to get pretty people naked.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Wait, why do you want to bother discussing a mediocre movie? :alttongue:

I feed on hate.

I read the Wikipedia synopsis of Eyes Wide Shut, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why Kubrick thought this was a movie. What are the stakes? Where's the character arc? Why should we care about these people?

It was all a big shrug to me. Sounded like a highbrow excuse to get pretty people naked.

Yes, like I told the person who recommended it to me " I see why you like this movie now. It's about two things: Sex and Boobs".

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't like this movie when I first watched it. Enjoyed it much more the second time. Its an acquired taste. Regardless of what one feels about the story and Kubrick's hinting at the danger of the secret societies power elite the colours are lovely.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I didn't like this movie when I first watched it. Enjoyed it much more the second time. Its an acquired taste. Regardless of what one feels about the story and Kubrick's hinting at the danger of the secret societies power elite the colours are lovely.

Like I said, Sex and Boobs.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
WTF.

I watched the movie for the first time today.
Yeah, I didn't like this movie. I went on the IMDB forum to read through the discussions to see if I'm missing anything. I wasn't, yet I still have one giant 'WTF' hanging over my head.

Discuss.

Also, Tom Cruise cries like a bitch.

Tom Cruise is a little bitch.

And yeah, this movie isn't exactly Kubrick's opus magnus. I fell asleep halfway through, watched it again the next morning and realized I missded the only scene that had some 'action' in it.

Nicodemus

It is a film of nuances and subtleties. You have to set yourself to the right tone to appreciate its movements appropriately, that is: you have to assume the mindset of a 1920's Viennese.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I read the Wikipedia synopsis of Eyes Wide Shut, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why Kubrick thought this was a movie. What are the stakes? Where's the character arc? What's resolved by the denoument? Why should we care about these people?

Yep, this is what I thought too. Great director, but the film is a dud.
And Tom Cruise is a mediocre actor, if I'm being kind.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's easily his worst film.

Which is odd, since almost everything else he did was fantastic.

The Shining is my favorite.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't think it's one of his best, but it's still very good. I like it more every time I watch it.

Then again, I think The Shining sucks.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think it's one of his best, but it's still very good. I like it more every time I watch it.

Then again, I think The Shining sucks.

This, on both counts.

What I like about Eyes Wide Shut is that the major theme is one that intrigues me...how even the smallest bit of succumbing to temptation can have repercussions both significant and enduring. How the fantasy world and the real world are both fine as long as they are separated, but if joined can cause calamity. It makes you think about how the only way to truly preserve your character is to be flawless, because the tiniest stain is as hard to get out as the largest. Yet none of us are flawless, so what is the true measure of character? These are the questions this movie raises for me, and I think it's effective in exploring them. Could it be better? Sure. But I don't think it's either boring or bad.

Noon

I really liked it. I think Tom was quite a good choice for it too, at least in that he represents what I think he was supposed to well. I also think part of the point was to make all of that sex unsexy.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I just watched the movie. I liked the slow pace of the movie. Didn't like the ending because it didn't feel like an ending.

Am I not classy enough to appreciate the movie?

I liked the movie but what the fuck was it supposed to be about - a secret society which takes part in orgies? So what???

Fuck you director of the movie.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I liked it when I saw it years ago at the theatre. It's a contextual thing I think. At the time it came out there was nothing like it so it was fresh. Now we have all sorts of movies which kind of touch on similar subjects.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Despite the cold, bare orgy scenes, the colours used in the other scenes were sensual. The dreamlike atmosphere captured my attention, the entire film felt like a long inescapable dream. The colours red, yellow and blue were a motif and he even combined as can be seen in the prostitute's purple dress (for AIDS).

Some people say he used the colours red, white, and blue to represent the national colours and hidden societies (illuminate etc.).