• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Arthur C. Clarke dies at 90...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a tragedy. Arthur C. Clarke was a personal hero of mine. He wrote some of the best science fiction novels of modern times!

Here's the Washington Post article.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I was sad to hear of this too. I thought I had read all of his works but turns out I didn't after reading the article. My favorite was probably the "Rama" series. Anyone else have a favorite?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was sad to hear of this too. I thought I had read all of his works but turns out I didn't after reading the article. My favorite was probably the "Rama" series. Anyone else have a favorite?

I liked Rendezvous with Rama but I didn't like the sequels he wrote with Gentry Lee -- they were too character driven and concerned with political issues. I hate when fiction makes a social commentary loosely based on real-life events. Fiction should entirely be about letting imagination run wild -- and Rendezvous with Rama really touched me that way, it was about the wonder and none of the human condition boredom. A lot of times I read books, I just skip the stuff about the character development, because people are just uninteresting. I find the most interesting thing about characters in the movies or books are the sequences they are put through and what happens to them, not really interested in their psyche of fictional characters unless they were created by me.

I really hope David Fincher gets around to making the Rendezvous with Rama movie. I've waited too long.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm saddened by this. "2001: A Space Odyssey" is both one of my favorite books and favorite movies, and I loved "Childhood's End". Arthur C. Clarke fired my imagination and was a major influence in my choice of career. When I got older and started to read and watch other science fiction, I became disillusioned with it. I then realized that I wasn't really a science fiction fan as I had thought; I was an Arthur C. Clarke fan.