• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Like Going To The Movies Alone?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, I would like to be able to go to the movies alone. Too bad the one time I asked to do that, I wasn't allowed to because "only weirdos do that." :shrug: But it doesn't make much of a difference to me anyway. I can't really interact with anyone during the movie. I suppose it is interesting to hear the people's reactions to the movie, but I can do that with anyone who is in the theater. And it's actually kind of better for me not to be too close to anyone because sometimes I can't help but burst out laughing about something that was only mildly amusing to 99% of the moviegoers ;)

So, I like to enjoy the movie for the movie, and then seek others who have seen that movie for that whole "connection" part. I don't see the connection in the theater itself.

Your parents would think I am a terrible weirdo.
I was a child in the 50s.
I must have gone hundreds of times to the movies alone by the end of the 50s.
I do not remember asking permission a single time to go to the movies, or to leave the house in general.
I just left. If I was ever asked where I'd be going, I said: Out.
My father was probably only happy I left, coz he was a nervous ISTJ who loved his peace and quiet.
He did not mind weirdos, though:)

Now you have two new experiences to look forward to in life .. one day you will be free to go to the movies alone. Think of that.
Then dispell the truth to your parents.
See their expression change!
Their own grown child! What a weirdo! :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've done it once before. Didn't mind it. I think it's stupid how there are certain actvities where it's only socially appropriate or normal to be with someone else/others - like going to the movies. I can't think of a better activity to do on your own... You're watching a damn movie, not socializing.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I go to movies alone frequently. I do many things alone because I do not like having my interests stymied by the mere fact of solitude. I went to a Suzanne Vega concert on my own and couldn't find the entrance (haha one definite advantage of a companion) but I ran into the stage crew and one of them got me on the guest list for a 2nd row seat. I stuck around afterwards and this guy brought me to meet the artist, and I got to go on the tour bus. It was all very much fun. I also, ahem, got an offer to ride with them back to New York which I declined. :blush: I never regret going to anything by myself, though I would prefer a companion to talk about the experience with.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, most of my life is alone. I enjoy movies alone.

However, recently joined a group which has the purpose of seeing movies together to see what that is like.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes. If I wanna see something, I'll go. It's not a social experience, in fact talking is downright discouraged, so I don't know why we feel like it's weird for us to do it alone. Is it so much more enriching to not be able to sit next to but not be able to really see or talk to someone you know?

I don't like torrenting for two reasons a) shit quality and b) if I want them to keep making movies I like, usually movies that aren't awful special-effects-a-thons, there's an implicit contract that audience spends money on them. Transformers 3 is the highest grossing movie of the year so far (I imagine Harry Potter will change that soon, but the point stands). Twilight brings in big bucks. So they natural response is "Oh, let's make more movies like Twilight and Transformers. More remakes, more sequels." Meanwhile half the audience for movies that are at all original or subtle movies just says "I'll watch it online" and then wonder why there isn't more good movies coming out*.

*sometimes I will watch movies online, but pretty much exclusively older or very hard to find stuff, like maybe something that doesn't get released anywhere but NY and LA and barely gets a DVD release.

Inverness

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've been to the movies on several occasions alone, I don't really care what people think of it...if I desire to watch a movie...I'll go watch the movie, it's just not a social stigma that has phased me. I do like going to the movies with friends, but I'll also enjoy the film alone just the same.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer going to the movies alone. And I prefer going most places alone. In fact, the only reason I might go out with other people is for the free ride (gas is so expensive). However, I usually regret it because I have to get stuck tagging along with the things they want to do. This is so annoying, in fact, that I'd ultimately rather spend money on gas so that I don't have to feel trapped.

The only kind of public place I don't like going to alone is a restaurant, for some reason.

G

Ginkgo

Yes, I enjoy going to movies alone. However, most times, I'm accompanied by a friend or two. If I'm accompanied by someone else, it's usually because we wanted to hang out in the first place and seeing a movie was the most viable option. Films are easy to access; we can download them or rent them at our leisure. If I'm going to see a movie for the movie's sake, I doubt I would take a friend because a friend would only mitigate the enjoyment of the movie itself. Granted, there are times when they can provide canned laughter or commentary along with a surrounding audience. Looking back, it seems like the movies I saw in theaters were the ones that were burned into my memory a bit more. Maybe it's due to the size of the screen and the scope of the entire experience.

Hanging out with others is preferable in most cases, though. I enjoy bouncing ideas around afterward; it turns into a bonding thing.

AscendingFlame

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I prefer to go to the movies with someone else. For me it is a social activity. I like to have a conversation with the other person while I wait for the film, and I like to talk about the film immediately when it's over: analysing it, discussing what we liked and what we didn't like. I also like someone beside me when I want to point something out during the film. (And yes, you can do that quietly, so that only the person intended to hear what you're saying hears it.)

I've been to the movies alone before in cases where I couldn't find people interested in the film, but I found the experience frustrating every time.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would prefer to go with other people to interact with their energy fields but then I am used to doing things alone and its how it is most often I find myself going to the movies alone like 98% of the time, Its become common and its when I am going with other people that it seems out of place now. Too few friends are interesting in going with me. Its been like this from the start I mayn't enjoy it that much sometimes wondering what did I miss. Of the few occasions I have gone to the movies with my friends I started becoming self conscious a little then happy to share the experience with others.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i really like going to the matinee shows alone.
i always feel i'm in a secret hideout and nobody
can find me in the middle of the day. tres fun.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i really like going to the matinee shows alone.
i always feel i'm in a secret hideout and nobody
can find me in the middle of the day. tres fun.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I don't really go to the movies much, or watch movies all that often. Maybe one or two a week......
I don't think it's weird when people go to the movies alone, but I don't think I would enjoy it.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If there's a film I want to see alone its probably because I like it a lot but none of my acquaintances do. Also, if I like it a lot, I'm probably going to want to over analyze it or watch it again immediately. Top that off with the chance of having to fight people for good seats/washrooms after the film/parking and transit, I'd probably end up "acquiring" the film after it came out on blue ray.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Of course, it's one of life's little pleasures. Be it a block-bluster or small, independent flick, I prefer to go alone. Friends and family are too distracting especially when they're unimpressed, I have to resort to the "accidentally spilled my popcorn on you" tactic to get them out. :dry:

There was a period in my life where I'd intentionally choose early, obscure times so I would be able to attend alone and (furthermore) have the whole theatre to myself. These days, I just tell people outright that I prefer to see it alone, a few that were initially skeptical have actually made the switch. I don't think watching films is a social activity, if anything it's anti-social so invite people? I prefer to experience the film alone unaffected by someone's perception of it at that moment.