• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Garfield minus Garfield

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. I realize my sense of humor is... non-standard, though, so your mileage may vary. All the same, I about split my sides, so I thought I may as well share.

(Perhaps this belongs in arts and entertainment? If so, my apologies in advance.)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. I realize my sense of humor is... non-standard, though, so your mileage may vary. All the same, I about split my sides, so I thought I may as well share.

(Perhaps this belongs in arts and entertainment? If so, my apologies in advance.)

OMG...it's like, totally postmodern!!! :holy:

This is waaaayy better than Red Meat. and other 'existential dude talking to himself with a blank look on his face' strips.

It makes me look at the creator of the Garfield comics in a new subversive light...a diabolocal artist who palmed off his twisted humor onto unwitting children using a chubby cat and dim-witted dog to camoflouge his cynical anti-social humor and get syndicated?

And to think, I watched these cartoons as a bright-eyed young one.

I feel dirty now.

But yeah, very nice! I'm gonna read more now.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
It makes me look at the creator of the Garfield comics in a new subversive light...a diabolocal artist who palmed off his twisted humor onto unwitting children using a chubby cat and dim-witted dog to camoflouge his cynical anti-social humor and get syndicated?.

my thoughts exactly... i wonder what else jim davis knows that we dont :thelook:

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP

That's really surreal. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have seen this before. :laugh:
You are not alone Mycroft. I hurt my sides with laughter from this as well.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Poor Jon. He always seemed pathetic, but this really underscores it.

(Also, moved from Bonfire)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That's eerie. It explains a lot about the comics. Maybe Garfield is just the manifestation of Arbuckle's overactive imagination playing tricks on him as he loses sanity due to boredom and isolation. Poor guy. :(

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Boredom, isolation, and severely clogged arteries from all that lasagna.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Edit: Oh wait.. Garfield wasn't imaginary. Hmm.. This is a bit over my head.

Well, in the comic he's not depicted that way, but he could well be since it makes sense without him. It could even be that he has a cat named Garfield, but he's projecting his own imagination onto the cat, and the cat isn't really doing/saying those things. I've actually suspected that was the case several times.

EDIT: I posted this in reply to someone, but the message seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Huh?? :shock:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
That would be creepy if Garfield was just imaginary..

(I deleted my post, because I experienced a moment of insanity, thinking I was the one that had first thought, Oh, maybe Garfield's imaginary. and that it was too out there.. when in reality, you gave me that idea. Yeh. I need to go to bed.)

MBTI Type
INTJ
That is REALLY funny. What a great idea.

It kind of reminds me of something I tried a little while ago. I was inspired by someone that played around with some New Yorker cartoons. I decided that one of the worst comics ever, Ziggy, would be vastly improved if every panel included a certain phrase. Links below :)

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1676/ziggy1ah5.gif

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8263/ziggy2wu7.gif

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/471/ziggy3cs9.gif

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7148/ziggy4jg7.gif

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6084/ziggy5re2.gif

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2493/ziggy7zi6.gif

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/271/ziggy8sz6.gif

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:rofl1: I had wondered before if Jon was really just crazy and Garfield was just a figment of his imagination... sort of like a weird cat/man version of Fight Club or something :shock:

I think I like it better without Garfield! :D

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The thing is, even if Garfield isn't a figment of Jon's imagination, he doesn't actually talk; everything he "says" is in a thought bubble. Removing Garfield from the strip shows Jon for precisely what he is. It would have worked just as well if the person who made this simply photoshopped a regular house cat into each panel that would have otherwise included Garfield. (Albeit a cartoon-ified house cat, so as not to be jarring.)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
That is REALLY funny. What a great idea.

It kind of reminds me of something I tried a little while ago. I was inspired by someone that played around with some New Yorker cartoons. I decided that one of the worst comics ever, Ziggy, would be vastly improved if every panel included a certain phrase.

Various Ziggy Bashing Strips

HILARIOUS.

So mean.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
That would be creepy if Garfield was just imaginary..

Who's Garfield? I never saw any Garfield before.

Apparently the same thing was happening with Bugs Bunny cartoons. If you take him out, you realise Elmer Fudd was actually giving coded messages to the Nazis.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
:rofl1: lol, That is great! I never really realised how strange Jon was before I saw these. It's amazing how much of a difference Garfield actually makes, he sort of makes the absurdity more understandable.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
The thing is, even if Garfield isn't a figment of Jon's imagination, he doesn't actually talk; everything he "says" is in a thought bubble. Removing Garfield from the strip shows Jon for precisely what he is. It would have worked just as well if the person who made this simply photoshopped a regular house cat into each panel that would have otherwise included Garfield. (Albeit a cartoon-ified house cat, so as not to be jarring.)

Garfield minus Garfield's speech bubbles