• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Video Game?

Connoisseur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp
Joy: M&B Warband, SW: Jedi Academy.
Atmosphere: VtM: Bloodlines, Lord of the Rings Online, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed (I).
Freedom/control/comfort: Saints Row 3, The Sims 3.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Xenosaga Episode III. To this day, I'm sad that it never got a sequel.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Virtue's last Reward. ( No, not 999) not the series. Just VLR.
Finfal Fantasy 8.
Valkyrie profile ( The original)
Star Fox 64. ( The one game I was really, REALLY good at. Used to take on my friends 3 to 1 with a handicap and never lost.)

In no particular order or time period (I’ve been a gamer for decades).

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
(AD&D Forgotten Realms) Pool of Radiance
Wasteland 1 (origins of the Fallout franchise)
Fallout: New Vegas
The Last of Us
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Obviously I’m a big fan of fantasy and post apocalypse games.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm playing New Vegas again. Close to finishing an NCR run. I've never played for the Legion before, but it sounds fun to play as a completely villainous shithead, so maybe that will be my next playthrough.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm playing New Vegas again. Close to finishing an NCR run. I've never played for the Legion before, but it sounds fun to play as a completely villainous shithead, so maybe that will be my next playthrough.

sorry cant be as good as star goose

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sorry cant be as good as star goose

giphy.gif

Lark

Is New Vegas one of the FPS games? I like the first three point and click adventures, although I dont like the real time battle feature of the third, it just seemed like a good way to destroy your forces and die.

In the first adventure I once succeeded in killing all the NPCs in entire game, I couldnt find the Master's chamber in his lair and as a result of being bored and overpowered character class wise from playing for so long, I got really, really bored.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is New Vegas one of the FPS games? I like the first three point and click adventures, although I dont like the real time battle feature of the third, it just seemed like a good way to destroy your forces and die.

In the first adventure I once succeeded in killing all the NPCs in entire game, I couldnt find the Master's chamber in his lair and as a result of being bored and overpowered character class wise from playing for so long, I got really, really bored.

New Vegas is an RPG. It contains strong FPS elements, however players aren't limited to that style of play. In fact, one can go through the entire game never picking up a gun or shooting, assuming they have high speech, or are using melee weapons. there's multiple ways to play. You can play as a shooter, you can play unarmed and use fists, you can avoid violence altogether, there's just so many ways so no two playthroughs are really the same. It's pretty great, because sometimes I do a run more like a traditional FPS, sometimes I avoid fighting and rely on high speech, charisma and barter to talk my way through. There's also 4 different general storylines. You can play for the NCR, who are a sort of reflection of the modern American military-industrial complex, you can play for Caesar's Legion, who are basically post-apocalyptic fascist regressives, you can play for Mr. House, who is based on Howard Hughes and wants to keep New Vegas under his control and out of the hands of the NCR and Caesar's Legion, or you can fight to keep New Vegas independent from the control of the other 3 main factions. You might find certain skills more useful for certain factions, for instance playing for the NCR, I've used guns a lot, but when I played for Mr House and the independent run, I was able to get through without using weapons as much, instead leveling up my barter and speech skills and talking my way out of danger.

I think you might enjoy it, though the PC version is recommended over console versions, which tend to freeze and glitch a lot. Plus there's tons of great mods for the PC version.

Also, it's a huge improvement over Fallout 3, which despite being classified as an RPG, really forced the player into a very strict storyline. It uses the same engine and mechanics of Fallout 3, but integrates the expansive worldbuilding and choices of the older Fallout games. So you really get the best of both eras of fallout gaming. Also the NPC characters and followers that you can interact with are a lot more interesting than the ones in Fallout 3. Most of the NPCs (aside from unnamed ones) have an interesting story or plotline. I still run into NPCs and/or speech options I haven't encountered on previous playthroughs. And every action you take has real, lasting consequences, unlike in Fallout 3. The morality is very grey, so even when you are supporting the "good" people, there's always ambiguity and unintended consequences for other factions and individuals. I spent a lot of time agonizing over certain choices.

Lark

New Vegas is an RPG. It contains strong FPS elements, however players aren't limited to that style of play. In fact, one can go through the entire game never picking up a gun or shooting, assuming they have high speech, or are using melee weapons. there's multiple ways to play. You can play as a shooter, you can play unarmed and use fists, you can avoid violence altogether, there's just so many ways so no two playthroughs are really the same. It's pretty great, because sometimes I do a run more like a traditional FPS, sometimes I avoid fighting and rely on high speech, charisma and barter to talk my way through. There's also 4 different general storylines. You can play for the NCR, who are a sort of reflection of the modern American military-industrial complex, you can play for Caesar's Legion, who are basically post-apocalyptic fascist regressives, you can play for Mr. House, who is based on Howard Hughes and wants to keep New Vegas under his control and out of the hands of the NCR and Caesar's Legion, or you can fight to keep New Vegas independent from the control of the other 3 main factions. You might find certain skills more useful for certain factions, for instance playing for the NCR, I've used guns a lot, but when I played for Mr House and the independent run, I was able to get through without using weapons as much, instead leveling up my barter and speech skills and talking my way out of danger.

I think you might enjoy it, though the PC version is recommended over console versions, which tend to freeze and glitch a lot. Plus there's tons of great mods for the PC version.

Also, it's a huge improvement over Fallout 3, which despite being classified as an RPG, really forced the player into a very strict storyline. It uses the same engine and mechanics of Fallout 3, but integrates the expansive worldbuilding and choices of the older Fallout games. So you really get the best of both eras of fallout gaming. Also the NPC characters and followers that you can interact with are a lot more interesting than the ones in Fallout 3. Most of the NPCs (aside from unnamed ones) have an interesting story or plotline. I still run into NPCs and/or speech options I haven't encountered on previous playthroughs. And every action you take has real, lasting consequences, unlike in Fallout 3. The morality is very grey, so even when you are supporting the "good" people, there's always ambiguity and unintended consequences for other factions and individuals. I spent a lot of time agonizing over certain choices.

This sounds a lot like the first two games, although most later players find both of them to be linear there were a lot of side quests, the second polices you a little with a karma meter and consequences if you kill children lost in the wasteland (they would attack you or your party with knives so sometimes it was hard to avoid it) which were so harsh you would basically have ended your game that way (increasingly difficult mercenaries appearing in random encounters off the map screen who were over powered character types basically).

The game I was referring to as the third was Tactics, I think there may have been a FPS which was referred to as Fallout 3, I never played it, never played any of the console FPS games (other than as demos in the shops) the only one I played besides was a Fallout Brotherhood of Steel game on PS2 but it was rubbish, good as its own thing but it was a top down shooter that was a big departure from the previous gameplay.

I like RPG point and clicks.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds a lot like the first two games, although most later players find both of them to be linear there were a lot of side quests, the second polices you a little with a karma meter and consequences if you kill children lost in the wasteland (they would attack you or your party with knives so sometimes it was hard to avoid it) which were so harsh you would basically have ended your game that way (increasingly difficult mercenaries appearing in random encounters off the map screen who were over powered character types basically).

The game I was referring to as the third was Tactics, I think there may have been a FPS which was referred to as Fallout 3, I never played it, never played any of the console FPS games (other than as demos in the shops) the only one I played besides was a Fallout Brotherhood of Steel game on PS2 but it was rubbish, good as its own thing but it was a top down shooter that was a big departure from the previous gameplay.

I like RPG point and clicks.

I never played Tactics.

New Vegas doesn't allow children to be killed, but any other character is killable (technically you can't kill Yes Man because his AI and memory will just download into another robot if you destroy his body).

Fallout 3 and 4 are both basically glorified 1st person shooters with some RPG like elements. I haven't played 4 but everything I've read on it says it is exacerbates the problems with 3, to the point of things like never allowing more than 4 speech choices at a time. And from what I've read, you can play without shooting, but it's very difficult, and designed in a way like the developers really intended players to stick to shooting. 3 was just so limiting and it had a very linear storyline. The "choices" you are allowed don't really affect the overall outcome other than giving you slightly different ending videos.

New Vegas, it could be argued, is also a linear game, but at least there are multiple linear paths and the type of character you can play in any given path can vary a lot more within each of the main story paths. How the overall world reacts to your character varies a lot more based on your choices and interactions.

I would like to see more point and click games made in the vein of classic 90s PC and Mac games. It's not an RPG but I really enjoyed the Star Trek 25th Anniversary (Mac/PC version) because it allowed a fair number of ways to complete each mission. The old Scumm games are great too, like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Also not really an RPG, but it did have 3 paths, one oriented on fighting, one on puzzles and wits, and one on teamwork with the sidekick heroine.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I would like to see more point and click games made in the vein of classic 90s PC and Mac games.

I recently illustrated and programmed a point and click adventure game for my siblings on HyperCard (Spelunx format). The game takes place at our family lake cabin- we have a retro gaming room up there that includes an old power Mac with OS9 it- and the first scene of the game is reading a cryptic note left behind on the computer (the only place you can play the game IRL), and then stepping back to explore the area and solve the mystery of the missing Me. I took some liberties with physics and reality (you can flush yourself down the toilet and explore the septic tank, among other things) and also added a random encounter turn based old school RPG battle mode complete with various weapons, XP levels, potions etc. Threw in some side quests, NPCs (family members), and an extended closing cinematic. If I can figure out how to get it off that machine, I'll get you a copy if you want to check it out.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recently illustrated and programmed a point and click adventure game for my siblings on HyperCard (Spelunx format). The game takes place at our family lake cabin- we have a retro gaming room up there that includes an old power Mac with OS9 it- and the first scene of the game is reading a cryptic note left behind on the computer (the only place you can play the game IRL), and then stepping back to explore the area and solve the mystery of the missing Me. I took some liberties with physics and reality (you can flush yourself down the toilet and explore the septic tank, among other things) and also added a random encounter turn based old school RPG battle mode complete with various weapons, XP levels, potions etc. Threw in some side quests, NPCs (family members), and an extended closing cinematic. If I can figure out how to get it off that machine, I'll get you a copy if you want to check it out.

I love INTPs