• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Former Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr dies :(

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Once again, their own song is a fitting epitaph for a departed member. :(

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UhsvyFStkg"].[/YOUTUBE]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Or one of my favorites:
[YOUTUBE="OfcoWcnX43Q"]AiC - Rain When I Die[/YOUTUBE]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This band still rules.

[YOUTUBE="gjIIQb7KNFc"]AiC - Last of My Kind[/YOUTUBE]

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
They were and are, underrated.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v67LpSz6Ck"].[/YOUTUBE]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I just can't wait to see them live (for the first time) next time they role through, and I agree Arc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm sorry, I had to laugh at you saying you want to see them "live." Mike Starr is now dead, and Laine Staley's been dead for quite a while.

I actually saw them when they were alive, in the 90's.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sorry, I had to laugh at you saying you want to see them "live." Mike Starr is now dead, and Laine Staley's been dead for quite a while.

I actually saw them when they were alive, in the 90's.
I realize two of the original members are dead, but if you weren't aware they've reunited (see video a few posts up - song is from latest album "Black Gives Way to Blue") with 2 original members (guitarist and drummer), and then their bassist who took over for Starr when he left in 93 and new singer William DuVall. Chains put out a new album in 2009 which was actually a positive effort.

They did a nationwide tour with Mastodon and Deftones about 6 months ago. I would have attended when they played Seattle but that was when I was completely broke :(

Another song from the latest album:
[youtube=2D37POA11KY]Alice In Chains - Your Decision[/youtube]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
and one more, for good measure:
[YOUTUBE="SZTQ7xlFFA8"]Check My Brain[/YOUTUBE]

KDude

They're rarely on my playlist, but they were always one of the most unpretentious bands to me. I wish I could say I knew more about the bass player, but Cantrell and Staley stood out.

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
That's sad news, man. I liked his bassline in Would (simple but haunting) and some of his stuff on the second half of Facelift starting from Love Hate Love especially. I realize I'm a day late but I'll have to rock out in my apartment tonight, as a personal tribute.
I think the bassist that replaced Starr for Jar of Flies and the self titled (tripod) album was Mike Inez, and he's good too. I just looked it up, Inez is currently with AIC still.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
So another drug addict dies. Would you guys even care if he wasn't famous?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So another drug addict dies. Would you guys even care if he wasn't famous?
No, not really because there is no real connection between me and some random junkie. I mean, I grieve for anyone caught up in addiction like that, but I wouldn't create a thread like this one unless you're family, a friend or famous and I like what you've contributed in your respective art.

Wait, what's your point?

The story of the band is sad in general. Mike Starr always felt deep guilt for the death of lead singer and close friend Layne Staley, when he died back in 2002. Starr was the last person that saw Layne before he died. He was holed up in his condo (which is only a few miles down the road from me) for months, abusing heroin and literally withering away to nothing. Starr wanted to call for help, but Staley threatened that he'd never speak to him again if he did. Starr knew Layne was in trouble but not nessecarily that it was life threatening (at the time)... and then he died a few days later alone on his couch, a victim to his addiction. Layne Staley had lost his fiancee due to infections/complications as a result of her addiction to the needle as well, and that's a significant reason for why Layne spiraled so low. It's not confirmed, but speculated that Layne got his fiancee hooked on the shit, just due to association and being in that rock lifestyle... which would tremendously add to the burden, obviously.

But of course, these are just junkies among the countless others. I'm not asking you to care.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I loved the original line-up, and as much as I loved Cantrell's guitar playing, I didn't stick with them after Staley died. His voice being gone just sort of killed it for me (<--not meant to be tasteless)

I agree they were underrated. I liked them a hell of a lot more than Nirvana. Cobain just seemed to be having a friggin' fatalist pity party all the time, at least the AIC fellas owned their anger and discontent.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Layne Staley: one of the best vocals in rock, ever.

[YOUTUBE="p9GAEFTeWko"].[/YOUTUBE]