• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is anime so terrible?

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Every anime that I've ever watched I've hated strongly. Watching it fills me with a sense of embarrassment, not for myself, but for anime enthusiasts whose artistic taste is so low that they enjoy such complete garbage. If you've ever watched a terrible comedian try way too hard at being funny and bomb, you can relate to the feeling I get when watching it. It's so extremely extremely pretentious and completely and utterly lacks self-awareness for how cliche and, again, so absolutely nauseatingly pretentious it is. I feel the same way about its fans: they are the most pretentious people I've ever met. This isn't personal; I don't know any anime fans on this board in real life, so don't consider it an insult. I can't be the only one who thinks this. Thoughts?

I'm not a big anime fan myself but you are being extremely judgemental here. Judging someone's character based on what they happen to like or gives them pleasure, fuck you. Hearing things like the bolded statements above just makes my blood boil. Why? And it is very much an insult. There are anime fans on this forum and they are great people, not even remotely pretentious. Not to mention all the ones out there probably lurking.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Perhaps you just haven't found a series you like yet? I mean just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But given the nature of this rant I doubt you would even be open to the idea of changing your opinion. I'm a fairly big anime fan, and I consider it really no different than say music, movies, and an actual television series, and by that I mean there's plenty of options and you just have to find something you like. If I see a string of terrible movies, or hear some music I think isn't good, I don't let those particular instances formulate my entire opinion on the category they fall under.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Ok, I don't hate anime or its fans, I was just getting angry that I had to watch a fucking one minute commercial of some boring, uninspired anime bullshit before seeing 1.5-2 minute long clips from a TV show on Youtube. I'm not a fan of anime, but I don't really hate it. I posted something like this in the Anime thread in the general forum just to entice a reaction, but I don't have any particularly strong feelings about the subject. I watched Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade and liked it a lot.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Seemed more like venting than trolling to me. I have the same frustrated/angry reaction to things that are wildly popular but hold no interest for me. It drives me nuts trying to figure out the appeal, and when I can't, I have to get it out of my system. Not the best reaction, perhaps, but there you have it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol! Funny post. I'm going to weigh in before it gets sent off to the graveyard.
I've never found anime to be pretentious but I just don't get it!!! I won't make comments about the patterns I've noticed in the anime lovers in my life. I'm really not sure what it's all about. One day I asked someone... "so, ... what do you guys do at anime conventions?" (With others around) and she said, "what DON'T you do at anime conventions???!!" It ended up being a big inside joke for years. I've asked a few different people why they like it- not really getting a straight answer... I'm starting to think it's a secret sex club or something... "I like anime" is probably a code for something else.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Seemed more like venting than trolling to me. I have the same frustrated/angry reaction to things that are wildly popular but hold no interest for me. It drives me nuts trying to figure out the appeal, and when I can't, I have to get it out of my system. Not the best reaction, perhaps, but there you have it.
I know of this phenomenon, and it's annoying me. The best example I can think of as of now is Justin Bieber. Many just love to hate him, and to be frank, they're more annoying than Justin himself. I hate it when I keep seeing anti-Bieber jokes, it's getting old quick.

I'll admit to the OP that there have been a huge quality drop in recent animes. I've heard it's a failing industry, which I think the OP would be glad about. They seem to be targeting the general audience with "cuteness" to make up for the losses but it's truthfully hurting them more than helping them. I can only hope it it's not affecting Japanese comics, they're part of my core interest.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i don't like anime either but lol @ pretentious and lacks self awareness

you have a very well developed sense of irony

KDude

His posts in general seemed like he was kind of losing his shit everywhere. I started to think that he was just doing some parody of a pissed off person. Whatever.

Either way, anime is just another entertainment medium. Not merely some genre or specialized category containing bugeyed schoolgirls getting raped by giant squid. It's an entire medium. Full of different genres and subgenres within it, just like music or film. It's unlikely that it could all suck. There's a good chance that something everyone has enjoyed at some point in their lives has actually been represented in anime. Whether it's adaptations of Dumas or Dickens, horror, stories that examine suicide, smalltown life, etc.. I mean, many of the prevailing themes you'd see in other stories would be in anime. There's quite a lot juvenile stuff that I doubt many would enjoy, but that isn't everything. Just like "Aerosmith" isn't all encompassing and representative of everything in rock music.

Anyways. Good luck. If you want specific suggestions, the best kind of anime is actually the ones with schoolgirls being raped by giant squid. Fuck a Dickens adaptation.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
His posts in general seemed like he was kind of losing his shit everywhere. I started to think that he was just doing some parody of a pissed off person. Whatever.

Either way, anime is just another entertainment medium. Not merely some genre or specialized category containing bugeyed schoolgirls getting raped by giant squid. It's an entire medium. Full of different genres and subgenres within it, just like music or film. It's unlikely that it could all suck. There's a good chance that something everyone has enjoyed at some point in their lives has actually been represented in anime. Whether it's adaptations of Dumas or Dickens, horror, stories that examine suicide, smalltown life, etc.. I mean, many of the prevailing themes you'd see in other stories would be in anime. There's quite a lot juvenile stuff that I doubt many would enjoy, but that isn't everything. Just like "Aerosmith" isn't all encompassing and representative of everything in rock music.

But your argument is so reasoned! I want to disagree (and damn all those smug anime kids from grade school to hell), but alas it seems I cannot.

Anyways. Good luck. If you want specific suggestions, the best kind of anime is actually the ones with schoolgirls being raped by giant squid. Fuck a Dickens adaptation.

How about schoolboys getting repeatedly anal-raped by a giant squid named Dickens? Because that right there sounds like my new jam!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've enjoyed many anime.

I do however believe liking most anime requires a healthy dose of extroverted intuition. It is the originality of the worlds that anime creates, the fantasy of it all and the storylines and morality, that aspires to me most.

I mean, they're no oscar winning movies, and there is a dose of sillyness in just about any of them. And a lot of scenes of characters are often so out of proportion that it's just unreal and unfitting. But beyond that all are rich worlds filled with a ton of inspiration. :D

You S's got your soap opera's anyways. :p

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To the OP: I agree about a lot of anime being really, really bad. It can frustrate me, sometimes, when it seems like you have to learn Japanese in order to understand certain anime because the translation is so bad, or they leave some Japanese text or Japanese puns in the English translation, confusing everyone except those who know Japanese but are still, for some reason, watching it in English.

You do have to search around for good anime, i.e. anime that is well translated and accessible to non-fans. I recommend "Spirited Away" and everything by Satoshi Kon (I watched "Tokyo Godfathers" and loved it, and I've heard really good things about "Perfect Blue", "Millennium Actress", and "Paprika").

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Ok, I don't hate anime or its fans, I was just getting angry that I had to watch a fucking one minute commercial of some boring, uninspired anime bullshit before seeing 1.5-2 minute long clips from a TV show on Youtube. I'm not a fan of anime, but I don't really hate it. I posted something like this in the Anime thread in the general forum just to entice a reaction, but I don't have any particularly strong feelings about the subject. I watched Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade and liked it a lot.

Watch Steam Boy or Sprited Away now. =.=

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Yes.

Metropolis is pretty good too.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Anime has alot of fan service in it. so lots of self referencing etc. If you don't like animes in general, fan service just make it all 'more of the same' and that can be boring.
Though you'd miss on some great pieces of art if you dismiss the genre.
It's like every other entertainment though; you have good 'love' movies (or however they call it.. ah yes, romantic comedies) and geniunely interesting contemporary art, and yes, smart esfps.

Open your mind and all that.