• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"10,000 B.C."...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just got back from seeing 10,000 B.C., Roland Emmerich's prehistoric epic. While not as epic as I was expecting, the film turned out to have great CG animation courtesy of Double Negative, The Moving Picture Company, The Senate, amongst other effects vendors. The trailers led me to believe that the effects work was destined to be sub-par at best due to dodgy composites and rough animation. (It should be noted, however, that the film was originally scheduled to be released last summer -- I'm guessing the film was postponed to improve the effects work.) Particularly impressive, however, was the massive pyramid kingdom. It looked so epic and visionary, and the battle sequences, although not the most intense I've ever seen, were certainly inventive and masterful, conceptually as well as technologically, for what they were. I look forward to the film's coverage in the next Cinefex, which I believe should be out this April.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I really didn't like this movie. The plot seemed completely outrageously rediculous, and the characters were not developed at all (even for an action/adventure movie where the characters don't matter!). The romance was embarrassing, it was just "I will love you always" every time they met, and I'm pretty sure they never said anything else to eachother, so there was no foundation (once again, even for an adventure/action movie).

I know it wasn't intended to be historically accurate, but it went way too far. It was called 10 000 B.C., yet as the movie went on and on it got less like prehistory and more like 300. I joked to my friend that it must have taken them 8000 years to get to Africa (and whats up with that! They went to Africa! Plus there were wolly mammoths in the desert! Sheesh!). Regardless of the history, it was just too insane, I was half expecting an ambulance to show up in the last scene when the girl got hit with an arrow.

It was one of those movies where you think its god-aweful but in the end you get your moneys worth because there is a lot to laugh at.

You're right though, the CG animation was well done.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now that I think about it, I didn't even give my opinion on the actual movie. Anyway, I thought it was halfway decent, but nowhere near the quality it deserved to be.

I'm probably going to create a poll about which big summer blockbuster people are most looking forward to, but I'll probably wait a little longer. So that's a different story.