• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do S types like table-top role playing games?

Janus Shadowsong

MBTI Type
INFP
I posted this in the Bonfire section and didn't get a single comment, so I thought I would try here. Any comments or thoughts?

It seems to me, from personal experience and intution, that N types get into traditional role playing games like D&D a lot more than S types. S types are all about the sensory imput of the here and now, so to them, they are sitting at a table rolling dice and talking. Whereas N types can get into their characters, and actually become Galt the barbarian warrior or One Eye the old wizard, and experience the thrill of fighting and defeating the orcs or the fearsome red dragon.

I would be interested to hear from any S types that actually like role playing games, and what it takes to get you "into" the game.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I know one who does. He even makes his own games up.

I'm not into them.

Edit: He is very interested in mythology/fantasy/etc. Which may be why he's interested in these sorts of games. He is an IS?J.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know some SPs who are, they seem to dabble in everything.

But interestingly, over the course of my life, I've run across a strong contingent of ISTJ males who are into comic books, scifi/fantasy TV shows, scifi novels, and RPGs. it's more like ISTJ guys are polarized... either they think fantasy/scifi/gaming is kind of dumb and uninteresting, or they are really into it in a methodical way.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some do, some don't - it really depends. I tried them a couple of times, but my group wasn't terribly welcoming, and they weren't all very good friends of mine, so it wasn't n00b friendly. Therefore, I quit after 2 sessions/games/whatever.

But I have S friends who like them - including an ISTx.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
We used to have a fairly good sized gaming group... I think 3 of the 7 were S types... 2 SPs and 1 SJ. I miss it. :cry:

KDude

If I'm really ISFP, then sure. It's probably something I'd be even more into now, but I don't actually know anyone who's into that. It seems like a fun idea, but I play more video game RPGs. I also just like reading "lore" on fantasy worlds in general. When I was younger, there was a group I hung around with that did it all of the time, but for the most part, I'd just sit back and watch and flip through the D&D books.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I'm really ISFP, then sure. It's probably something I'd be even more into now, but I don't actually know anyone who's into that. It seems like a fun idea, but I play more video game RPGs. I also just like reading "lore" on fantasy worlds in general. When I was younger, there was a group I hung around with that did it all of the time, but for the most part, I'd just sit back and watch and flip through the D&D books.

Yeah, all my friends that used to roleplay moved away. So I don't know anyone else that's into it. I tend to gravitate towards RPG games too. I used to keep notes from our gaming sessions and write little short stories from our sessions. The guys got a pretty good kick out of it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's an example? Is that like warhammer or something?

I don't think I've ever tried them. I tried playing a D&D-imitation-like game once and it seriously made me want to gouge my eyes out I was so bored. And I'm a huge fantasy/sci fi nerd.

video game rpgs can be pretty fun (but get boring before long and don't have good replay value for me)

I like tabletop (and computer) strategy games, though.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
LOVE THEM! Haven't had a group in a long while though. Used to played a bunch of D&D with some friends until my DM left the state :(

But yes, AD&D 2nd Edition and White Wolf's World of Darkness, love them both :D