• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I finally got my book... And apparently I ordered two of them. That's just brilliant.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I want to savagely end reading as a solitary activity and make it a shared experience.

I don't want to talk about a book, or anything else, I want to experience it now in company.

Victor, I think you are an E. I know you don't believe in MBTI, but by E generally I mean that you enjoy being around people all the time, or at least a lot of the time. I like reading aloud, but I also like reading alone. :)

In short, I want to read aloud to you and with you and in you.
Um... I like you, but I'm not comfortable with that....:cheese: :blush: ;)

I do hope you are not in the cyclone's path, and if you are that you are somewhere safe. I have 3 American students studying at JCU-Cairns this semester and they are currently in an evacuation shelter, taking cover with the other inhabitants of Cairns. Talk about a cultural experience....

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
129146931453764974.png

i haven't started this month's book yet. i have just finished the surgeon of crowthorne by simon winchester. it's a snappy historical work based on the true story of two men who worked on the original oxford english dictionary. one of them, dr william minor was a murderer locked up in an insane asylum. he wrote his contributions to the dictionary at the asylum. woven into the story are some interesting vignettes about the history of dictionaries/etymology. i also enjoyed reading the descriptions of treatment received by the criminally insane in the late 18th/early 19th centuries. i give it three strawberries.
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I knew it would be a challenge for me to read this, I might have to get the voice over. Its become so bad, to turn from a prolific reader and lover of literature to having to skip and sign work forms because I didn't want to read it only to have to resign them because I wasn't supposed to sign everything. Hahaha details.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:laugh: Hahahaha, that's awesome! (Although I did enjoy the Twilight books.... well, the first one, anyway. After that they rapidly deteriorated.)

i haven't started this month's book yet. i have just finished the surgeon of crowthorne by simon winchester. it's a snappy historical work based on the true story of two men who worked on the original oxford english dictionary. one of them, dr william minor was a murderer locked up in an insane asylum. he wrote his contributions to the dictionary at the asylum. woven into the story are some interesting vignettes about the history of dictionaries/etymology. i also enjoyed reading the descriptions of treatment received by the criminally insane in the late 18th/early 19th centuries. i give it three strawberries.
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg
Strawberry%20Icon.jpg
That sounds interesting! And I love your rating system! :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still waiting to get my copy. :(

The stupid library still lists (for over a week now) 12/20 copies supposedly on the shelves at various branches, despite them not sending any of them to me. Finally went to one of the listed branches and of course it wasn't actually on the shelf. So I don't know what's up with their inventory system (there are only 2 holds on it total). They are usually much faster.

:dry:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i read the first 6 pages i liked it don't ask me why i stopped, i don't know. but i'm gonna go make coffee and read some more, screw the internet *please internet be nice and don't stop working when I come back, I still love you* of anathem I did read the first book of twilight it sucked, I want that 6 hours of my life back god damnit.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
THATS IT. YOURE OUT OF THE BOOK CLUB!!! GET OUT NOW.

(Even if you were the one who started it........)
But...but...
awww *hangs head and walks away*

N

NPcomplete

That's a nice story. :) I think you're about the same place I am.

Haha yeah I probably made someone's day. (Or not if they got paranoid..)

I haven't touched the book since then. I've been reading some light books instead because I need to rest my brain after school and I need something happy to get me through The Drabness that is winter.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Still waiting to get my copy. :(

The stupid library still lists (for over a week now) 12/20 copies supposedly on the shelves at various branches, despite them not sending any of them to me. Finally went to one of the listed branches and of course it wasn't actually on the shelf. So I don't know what's up with their inventory system (there are only 2 holds on it total). They are usually much faster.

:dry:
I think they heard me complaining! It finally became available and I picked it up at the library on my way home from work. Got through a whopping 12 pages on the bus ride home - but I like it so far. It's not nearly as dry as it sounded (maybe I haven't gotten to those parts yet). I like the made-up words. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Through part 1 - slower reading than usual, and more tiring too! I find myself rereading a lot to put words in context. My brain hurts from trying to keep all the vocabulary words straight (and he even snuck in some obscure real words too - like "selvage"- but I think most of the new words are just made-up). I'm interested to see where he takes it from here.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sorry, but I have given up on this book. It took me 45 minutes just to get through the first 10 pages because of all of the unfamiliar terminlogy. Usually, I read pretty fast and can get through 100 pages or so in an hour. I kept having to go to the glossary and then looking up the term in the glossary, I'd encounter some other terms I didn't know, so I had to look those up as well. It's like you have to read the entire glossary first to even have hope of making sense of what's going on in the story. Seems awfully backwards to me.

I guess that sort of reading just isn't my style. I like faster paced stuff and I don't mind new terminology but define the terms right there in the story itself rather than making people refer to a glossary.