• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC book club?

Would you be interested in a TypoC book club?

• Yup

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I mean, I'm interested.. in the abstract, and I'll probably observe, but I'm unlikely to contribute anything.
/intp

Well, feel free to lurk, and contribute if you feel so inclined. :)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Infinite Jest is infinitely out of the question. It's not a book, it's a tome, it's about 4 inches thick, and David Foster Wallace was my favorite writer and I couldn't even finish that book. Plus there's waaay too much in there to discuss. Seriously, you gotta be kidding with Infinite Jest.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'll play; I'll generally read anything as well. Will it be announced what book we have to read and by when?

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Infinite Jest is infinitely out of the question. It's not a book, it's a tome, it's about 4 inches thick, and David Foster Wallace was my favorite writer and I couldn't even finish that book. Plus there's waaay too much in there to discuss. Seriously, you gotta be kidding with Infinite Jest.

he is my favorite contemporary writer, as well. pure mental candy. and it is precisely because there is so much to discuss, that DFW is perfectly suited to a book club. three of us feel up to the challenge. join us, let us dive in and see what happens!

we don't necessarily have to finish...just go on an amazing intellectual journey together.

*pardon the shameless DFW plug*

gromit

likes this
I would at least try to read any of them. My votes:

Puzo, Mario: The Sicilian
Berger, Thomas: Little Big Man
Charriere, Henri: Papillon
Muir, Jon: My First Summer in the Sierra
Stephenson, Neal: Anathem

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'll play; I'll generally read anything as well. Will it be announced what book we have to read and by when?

Great, I'll add you to the list. If there's a certain book you want to vote for, go ahead and post, but yes, once voting is closed tomorrow, the book will be announced. I'd say we can shoot for having the first few chapters read by 2/1, but the whole book will be too much to do by then.... especially if it's one of the longer ones.

To all - when voting, can you please underline and bold your vote(s), so I know for sure that you're voting, and not just making a comment? Thanks!

Also, I just created a group for the book club. I invited everyone who's posted in this thread, and anyone else is welcome to join as well. I'm thinking it would be a good place to post the book we're currently reading, and maybe conduct the next nomination and voting cycle... this one is too chaotic for my Jness. :doh:

gromit

likes this
Also, I just created a group for the book club. I invited everyone who's posted in this thread, and anyone else is welcome to join as well. I'm thinking it would be a good place to post the book we're currently reading, and maybe conduct the next nomination and voting cycle... this one is too chaotic for my Jness. :doh:

I appreciate your Jness! :hug:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he is my favorite contemporary writer, as well. pure mental candy. and it is precisely because there is so much to discuss, that DFW is perfectly suited to a book club. three of us feel up to the challenge. join us, let us dive in and see what happens!

we don't necessarily have to finish...just go on an amazing intellectual journey together.

*pardon the shameless DFW plug*

Okaaaay ... over a thousand pages of the most dense reading you may ever do, with a word to look up on every other page even if you think you have an extensive vocabulary, plus footnotes ... I grant you, it's all riveting, but IMO it might be more suitable to choose a couple of vignettes than expect people to get through the whole book.

It's really great to meet a DFW fan, though! (((Hugs)))

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okaaaay ... over a thousand pages of the most dense reading you may ever do, with a word to look up on every other page even if you think you have an extensive vocabulary, plus footnotes ... I grant you, it's all riveting, but IMO it might be more suitable to choose a couple of vignettes than expect people to get through the whole book.

It's really great to meet a DFW fan, though! (((Hugs)))

likewise! totally unrelated, but would love to know which was your favorite essay in ASFTINDA. mine was the david lynch one, although i LOLd my way through the cruise ship essay. :)

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok, back to the final voting cycle. it appears that our final list from which to vote is:

1. The Sicilian, Mario Puzo
  2. Little Big Man, Thomas Berger
  3. Papillon, Henri Charriere
  4. My First Summer in the Sierra, Jon Muir
  5. Anathem, Neal Stephenson
  6. World War Z, Max Brooks
  7. Freedom, Jonathan Franzen
  8. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, Sam Kean
  9. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera
  10. Mating, Norman Rush
  11. Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
  12. Siddhartha, Herman Hesse
  13. Fifth Business, Robertson Davies

please correct me if i left anything off...for those just reading the thread, when's the voting deadline?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ok, back to the final voting cycle. it appears that our final list from which to vote is:

4. My First Summer in the Sierra, Jon Muir
  8. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements, Sam Kean
  10. Mating, Norman Rush

please correct me if i left anything off...for those just reading the thread, when's the voting deadline?

Correct, that is the final nominations list. Voting closes at noon Central Standard Time (GMT-6). 23 hours from now. :)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great, I'll add you to the list. If there's a certain book you want to vote for, go ahead and post, but yes, once voting is closed tomorrow, the book will be announced. I'd say we can shoot for having the first few chapters read by 2/1, but the whole book will be too much to do by then.... especially if it's one of the longer ones.

To all - when voting, can you please underline and bold your vote(s), so I know for sure that you're voting, and not just making a comment? Thanks!

Feb 1 is less than 1 week after we decide on the book, can we please wait longer than that? I doubt I'll even have the book from the library by then (I've put a hold on Anthem preemptively since I think I'll read it regardless of whether it wins, but even that one will likely take 1-2 weeks or so). Surely I'm not the only one relying on the library for this. Maybe I am? I'm a very fast reader, though.

I'd prefer 1 month or as a bare minimum, 2 weeks, unless everyone's in a big rush....?

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
  4. My First Summer in the Sierra, John Muir
  10. Mating, Norman Rush

I bolded my votes. :) I was a bit turned off of the DFW because of the general tomeness/difficulty; perhaps in the future we can read some of his essays? Anathem is a bit tome-ish but if it's anything like Cryptonomicon once you pick it up you can't put it down.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I won't vote; as I've read none of the above books and have very little data on them they all have the potential to be equally interesting!

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Feb 1 is less than 1 week after we decide on the book, can we please wait longer than that? I doubt I'll even have the book from the library by then (I've put a hold on Anthem preemptively since I think I'll read it regardless of whether it wins, but even that one will likely take 1-2 weeks or so). Surely I'm not the only one relying on the library for this. Maybe I am? I'm a very fast reader, though.

I'd prefer 1 month or as a bare minimum, 2 weeks, unless everyone's in a big rush....?

I agree - I won't be able to read through any book in a week right now. I have a copy of Anathem, but I'll need to go to the library for the others. I'm also a fast reader.

I think two weeks would be long enough for people to get the book and get started on it; I don't see anything wrong with having on-going discussion.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
going with the bold, too. my votes:

4. My First Summer in the Sierra, John Muir
  10. Mating, Norman Rush

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree - I won't be able to read through any book in a week right now. I have a copy of Anathem, but I'll need to go to the library for the others. I'm also a fast reader.

I think two weeks would be long enough for people to get the book and get started on it; I don't see anything wrong with having on-going discussion.

That's fine with me. I don't think we need to have the whole book read in order to begin discussion, so I think 2 weeks is enough. How about we open discussion on Feb 15?