• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm not sure if it's wise to follow the MMO trend though. I don't think D&D can beat MMO's at their own game. But there are plenty of things that D&D can do that MMO's can't. D&D ultimately only has one limitation and that is the DM's imagination, which is something MMO's will never be able to beat.
I agree. Every one of my memorable sessions happened by accident; where improvisation was aloft on the suspension of disbelief and every member of the group productively responded to one another. It's one of the reasons why Second Edition is where I return to for centering and inspiration. The simple, earnest and anecdotal guidance in narratives -- roleplayers talking to roleplayers -- can't be found anywhere else.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I'm not sure if it's wise to follow the MMO trend though. I don't think D&D can beat MMO's at their own game. But there are plenty of things that D&D can do that MMO's can't. D&D ultimately only has one limitation and that is the DM's imagination, which is something MMO's will never be able to beat.

I've only done computer RPGs (no tabletops), but this does seem true from reading about D&D. There doesn't seem much point in doing a tabletop MMO type game when you can do one on a computer with pretty graphics and microchips to do all the combat calculations. (Maybe there's a social part to it.)

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Me and a few friends have been playing since it came out, and so far are reallying enjoying it. Me and the DM have played since 3rd edition and are haveing to teach everyone else the fundamentals of D&D.

The only problem thus far is that we havent established a core group, im the only one who has shown up to every session. Everyone else is always busy or working, so theres about 7 guys (not incudeing me) that keep switching off every weekend or so. And this of course causes problems with roleplaying which is what the games all about. Especially cause we cant even really get into very hardcore role playing till all the new guys are comfortable in the rules and understand how to play.

But it is drastically different from 3rd, and 3.5. They only thing that is really the same is that classes are still called classes and races are still called races. It is extremley fun though, but it is still going to have to grow on me. At the moment I still prefer 3.5. But there are several things about it that after experienceing will never make 3.5 the same again. For one the infinite spells a wizard can cast now, before they where just way too under powered.

And yes there has already been official word that barbarian, sorceror, and either druid or monk (if not both) will be comeing out in later books, most likely a PHB2.

And to fill you in on the whole spell thing, wizards do still have spells and they are still in the back but they are now called "Rituals". A wizards normal "Spells" are his powers. Which are the same as a paladins "Prayers" and a rouges "Exploits".

And in the current campaign im playing a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut. So far im really enjoying it but havent had much chance to role play him yet or really get into his character. Hopefully ill be able to soon, but as for battle he rocks.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It's brave of you, Sexist. I always eschewed paladins, finding their powers far too disruptive to normal dramatic gameplay.

There doesn't seem much point in doing a tabletop MMO type game when you can do one on a computer with pretty graphics and microchips to do all the combat calculations. (Maybe there's a social part to it.)
That's why, while I enjoy the mathematical interplay of rules, quickly found most dice rolls to be impracticable -- and therefore impractical with a fast-moving, highly social group.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
No more lawful evil, no more counterspelling...

I don't approve.

They seem to be interested in making a strategy game out of D&D.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't approve.

D&D has always been a tactical game. It's a weird amalgam of Gary Gygax, who is at heart a strategy gamer, and Dave Arneson, who at heart is a roleplayer. This weird amalgam is kinda what made it work. Some groups are roleplay heavy, some are tactics heavy, and most are somewhere in between. It's this amalgamation that makes it appeal to a wider variety of people than other types of roleplaying or strategy games.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
What class are you playing Geoff, and how does that class feel compared to earlier editions?

Ranger, twin wielding scimitars, but also ranged with magic daggers. It feels quite different to the same class in earlier conditions. I like it though.. I still have stealth, nature and survival skills. How "rangery" I am is up to my imagination and role playing. As a martial class it's a lot of fun. I'm kinda a glass cannon. Fragile but destructive - especially to "minions" (a GREAT addition for me to the game)

Judging by substantive Amazon reviews, the new edition draws sharp opinions from rules-oriented groups. Those who approve either reject that Wizards of the Coast seeks to appeal to the MMO demographic; or were already practicing grid-based combat.

My groups, loosely based on Second Edition rules, were animated by roleplaying; and, in the stages of preparing for the first group in nearly ten years, I'm fine-tuning a highly simplified and amalgamated system, so remain pretty ambivalent. Though I agree that such a radical alteration, however strong, probably shouldn't be called Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast have certainly established system credibility with Magic: The Gathering.

See, I find it odd when people imply or just say that the new edition isn't role playing. You have skills, you dice rolls (if you want to use them) to do a non combat challenge like intimidate, bluff, religion or arcana knowledge. It's up to the players and the dm to decide how role play heavy it is. It's totally up to the imagination. I'm having a lot of fun because my low int ranger sold a very important item (it contained "my luck") just for a handful of magic daggers.. I was roleplaying my low intelligence.... and since then random things keep going wrong. It's not in the rule book, why would it be?

Yeah one think I was thinking as I was flipping through the books is that 4th ed. resembles an MMO more than earlier editions. On the one hand this seems like it makes D&D even less realistic than before. On the other hand D&D was never terribly realistic even for a game that takes place in a fantasy world. Even in 1st edition a high level fighter could jump off of a mountain top, take about 70 points of damage, and then rush into battle.

It isn't turning into a MMO. It's a role playing game with fun, more streamlined combat. The encounter and daily powers are a lot of fun. All they really are a chance, once per combat, to use a powerful attack, or a spell (like fireball). Some things once a day (really super attack, big spell) others every time there is a short rest. After about 15 hours of play, I'm loving the new combat style. It's more strategic and the combat powers mean that every class has flavour and fun.

I've only done computer RPGs (no tabletops), but this does seem true from reading about D&D. There doesn't seem much point in doing a tabletop MMO type game when you can do one on a computer with pretty graphics and microchips to do all the combat calculations. (Maybe there's a social part to it.)

Absolutely there is! 5 or 6 friends, rolling the dice, drinking beers. Trust me, the look of horror when you roll a critical failure 1 when you really don't need it will never be matched by a computer doing everything. And, of course, the graphics never match your own head.

It's brave of you, Sexist. I always eschewed paladins, finding their powers far too disruptive to normal dramatic gameplay.

That's why, while I enjoy the mathematical interplay of rules, quickly found most dice rolls to be impracticable -- and therefore impractical with a fast-moving, highly social group.

I like the die-rolling.. in moderation. It's up to the group though, how often they use them.

I don't approve.

I expect counterspelling is coming. The alignments are more streamlined, but.. again.. it's up to you how you play your character. It's called role playing for a reason :)

I approve of the strategy.. it's much better than the "broken builds" problem of 3rd Edition. This time you need to work as a team, and use strengths and not just design a build that always does the same thing.

D&D has always been a tactical game. It's a weird amalgam of Gary Gygax, who is at heart a strategy gamer, and Dave Arneson, who at heart is a roleplayer. This weird amalgam is kinda what made it work. Some groups are roleplay heavy, some are tactics heavy, and most are somewhere in between. It's this amalgamation that makes it appeal to a wider variety of people than other types of roleplaying or strategy games.

Right! Bottom line is, I'm having a lot of fun :)

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
See, I find it odd when people imply or just say that the new edition isn't role playing. You have skills, you dice rolls (if you want to use them) to do a non combat challenge like intimidate, bluff, religion or arcana knowledge. It's up to the players and the dm to decide how role play heavy it is. It's totally up to the imagination. I'm having a lot of fun because my low int ranger sold a very important item (it contained "my luck") just for a handful of magic daggers.. I was roleplaying my low intelligence.... and since then random things keep going wrong. It's not in the rule book, why would it be?
Fair enough. As I said, I'm ambivalent; I suppose I do find the debate over the franchise's identity worth scoring. But you're right in that groups both established and considerate will take what they want and make up the rest.

I like the die-rolling.. in moderation. It's up to the group though, how often they use them.
Players who disliked the random, remote agencies of dice went a little too far for me, as the game could drift from there into nothing more than make-believe. On another forum, there's a girl who runs with her husband; their group loves 4th Edition, and from all indications the players are so familiar with the game that dice-rolling probably moves fairly swiftly. Strikes me as rare, though I understand completely why the new rules would be welcome additions.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Mostly the pictures were cooler.

Well, then you ought to have picked the original red and blue boxed sets! I still love those (have them lurking somewhere) for the character and illustrations.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
4th ed takes muchkins, powergamers and the calculons out to the shed and give them a right good pasting.

As far as I've seen there is no more efficient combinations, no "oh I've GOT to have one of those or I'll DIE" and very little cause to ever look up a rule (though burst and blast are confusingly similar at the beginning).

Anyhow I'm as yet unsure whether the cut down version encourages players to add their own colour or if it'll turn out to be weak and watery leaving everyone hankering for just a little of the 3/3.5 ed power. We're just starting out with it though so time will tell.

One thing I do like however is that it seems to have taken the number crunching out of the game. My INTJ friend would regularly play characters that by a certain level were nigh invincible. He'd do it as just an exercise... proof of the games flaws. I think he saw 4th ed and just thought "Err....." (it's taken him till now to even look at the book properly!!)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
4th ed takes muchkins, powergamers and the calculons out to the shed and give them a right good pasting.

As far as I've seen there is no more efficient combinations, no "oh I've GOT to have one of those or I'll DIE" and very little cause to ever look up a rule (though burst and blast are confusingly similar at the beginning).

Anyhow I'm as yet unsure whether the cut down version encourages players to add their own colour or if it'll turn out to be weak and watery leaving everyone hankering for just a little of the 3/3.5 ed power. We're just starting out with it though so time will tell.

One thing I do like however is that it seems to have taken the number crunching out of the game. My INTJ friend would regularly play characters that by a certain level were nigh invincible. He'd do it as just an exercise... proof of the games flaws. I think he saw 4th ed and just thought "Err....." (it's taken him till now to even look at the book properly!!)

Well they seem determined to fix the power combos. Which is a shame, blade cascade looked good for my ranger :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well they seem determined to fix the power combos. Which is a shame, blade cascade looked good for my ranger :D
One side of me celebrates the return to playing a character instead of a number crunching exercise with a name. The other side mourns the loss of such colourful intensity in the name of game balance.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, then you ought to have picked the original red and blue boxed sets! I still love those (have them lurking somewhere) for the character and illustrations.
About ten years ago, my sister's friend bequeathed a stack of old sourcebooks, and a friend of mine recently gave me the Fiend Folio.

To the general topic, I just ran my first session in about eight years. Two players, ninety minutes, no combat, a few saving rolls, one cast spell. Everything came down to roleplaying and DM-player interaction; and it was a marvelous time.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The other side mourns the loss of such colourful intensity in the name of game balance.
Ah, yes. In 2nd edition and before everyone knew that if you played a Mage, you'd be teh suck for a few levels, but you'd be invincible after level 17 or so. Now it's "you mages and fighters play nice now, you're all great!"

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
What's OP?

It might answer your question anyway, that Monks aren't with us yet. Probably PHB2.