• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Deus Ex

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Deus Ex 1 is the best game in history, period.
Human revolution is the only reason for me to buy a new graphics card.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just build a new computer for my gf with an gtx 460, hope it will be enuff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just build a new computer for my gf with an gtx 460, hope it will be enuff

Wow. I'd love you -- that's what I just put into the replacement system I just built for myself. (My six-year-old system crashed and burned over the summer.) That graphics card alone ran me close to the price of the entire barebones system (motherboard/CPU/memory/case/1.5Tdrive) I purchased.

Mine is the higher end model that's designed for 3D graphics. That freaking card is like a mini-computer all on its own -- it's, like, an inch thick with the cooling unit running its entire length. Just mind-boggling.

KDude

Hope it's good. Wikipedia says Warren Spector (the original creator of Deus Ex, Thief, and System Shock) isn't associated with it though, so I'm skeptical. Sometimes these things go bad. I mean, he's kind of a genius.

Apparently, he himself just made the Wii Disney game "Epic Mickey". :doh: I heard it's fun though.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Wow. I'd love you -- that's what I just put into the replacement system I just built for myself. (My six-year-old system crashed and burned over the summer.) That graphics card alone ran me close to the price of the entire barebones system (motherboard/CPU/memory/case/1.5Tdrive) I purchased.

Mine is the higher end model that's designed for 3D graphics. That freaking card is like a mini-computer all on its own -- it's, like, an inch thick with the cooling unit running its entire length. Just mind-boggling.

Yea and it has got 2 power supplies and I need a 600 Watts power supply for it, haha. Little atomic power plant, if you think of it, german cable standard does ouput 3 kWs of power, so if you hook up 6 PCs to one cable and let run Deus Ex, one of the six PCs wont probably start :D.

I made it at rule for myself to never again pay more than 150 Euro ($200) for a gfx card. My girl and me dont switch games often, at the moment we played need for speed, wow, lotro and gta for years, so I didnt need a gtx 470 / 480. I many years ago bought two voodoo 2's in sli-mode for 1000 DM, which is 500 Euro, which is 650 dollar. Three months later the card dropped 2/3 in price and I was like wtf. Never did that again :D.

But since I heard about Deus Ex I am wondering if the 470 wouldnt have been the better choice :D

Hope it's good. Wikipedia says Warren Spector (the original creator of Deus Ex, Thief, and System Shock) isn't associated with it though, so I'm skeptical. Sometimes these things go bad. I mean, he's kind of a genius.

Apparently, he himself just made the Wii Disney game "Epic Mickey". :doh: I heard it's fun though.

Ah sad too hear... I remember System Shock, loved that game, played it until the keyboard cracked :D

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
When is it being released? I am so excited for it! Deus Ex 2 sucked though, and was pretty short, so hopefully this is a major improvement.

I wonder if Denton will feature in it at all?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The original Deus Ex is still on my list of games I plan to play. It's a long list, but I'm considering moving it near the top.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Deus Ex is 100% responsible for my current political philosophy and the conversation with the AI inside that locked closet remains one of the best conversations I've ever had.

Sad or awesome, depending on your point of view.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Dues Ex was pretty fun, but I've always been way more a fan of the System Shock series myself.
While Deus Ex was released to critical acclaim and even pretty decent commercial success, System Shock 1 & 2 went all but unnoticed. : (

And on the subject of Warren Spector; Ultima Underworld is another one of my all time favorites.

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
i'm playing the original atm. I came a little when I saw the deus ex 3 trailer.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
How does Deus Ex hold up against today's games? I remember it being pretty good when it came out, but I'm not sure if I fully appreciated the political themes as a teenager.

After watching a Ben Croshaw (comedic) game review, I realised that the one thing that made games like Deus Ex great was immersion and at the time, it was way ahead of other games in that area.
This is the same reason why Morrowind is more fondly remembered than Oblivion etc....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Holds up pretty well in terms of design. Still not another game like it. However, has some technical issues, especially on multicore CPUs [which is basically everything today] so may take some tweaking to get it functional. As August rolls around I'll be playing through again.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Human Revolutions is a great game, due in part to sharing a lot of design decisions from the original. The story in this game is more of a personal one than a conceptual one, like the first game, and as such seems to lack a bit of the scope as some of the concepts it's supposed to explore are buried into the ebooks and some minor conversations. The voice acting of the main character and character models leave something to be desired but if anything it could be considered a throwback to the first game.

I thought the boss fights were a bit out of place, some of the events in the final level of Panchea stretched believability a little thin, and knowing that the game is a prequel diminished the significance of the endings but overall, the game was fantastic and as soon as I finished I started a new one. The cover mechanic is implemented perfectly, seamlessly, and I really like how the game rewards a non-violent playstyle.

Overall, I love it and my first playthrough took 29 hours. The second will go faster as it's a lethal playthrough and I'm avoiding stealth/hacking.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I wanted to post a picture in this thread of myself when I saw the title but then I figured I startred the thread haha :D

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Synopsis: It's 2027 in an alternate reality, where no one seems to truly grasp the concept of security...
Rating: 7.5/10

So I've just finished my brief affair with "Human Revolutions". I will say that this is the first unambiguously good game I've played in a while (DA2 and Bioshock were both forgettable). Good but not great. It seems reasonably well polished, the combat and stealth mechanics felt somewhat fresh and fun, at least part way through the game until they started to feel a little tired once you become familiar with exploiting the game mechanics. Until you hit a boss fight and forget to bring a decent weapon (actually, I had been lugging around a rocket launcher for no reason, so..). Or the fact that enemies seem to all be in desperate need of glasses to correct their short sightedness. Oh and those hilariously stupid security cameras are back. Still, sneaking up on a pair of enemies when cloaked and smashing their heads together never gets old right? And it was still more fun than most of the single player FPS these days.

But much of the game felt like a rip-off of the first and while it wasn't done badly, it wasn't done very well either. The story overall was less compelling than the original, though by no means bad. I could put it like jock and say that it was more personal than conceptual, but I'm not that nice.

Coincidentally, I actually read Eric Drexler's Engines of Creation a few weeks ago, before I knew this game was coming out. Contrasting the two might have coloured my perception of the overall story.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Man I wish I had the time to play, was looking forward to this game for so long.... Damn work is killing me, next holidays belong to Deus Ex already :D