• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overrated video games in your opinion

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, title says it all. What video games were super hyped, but yet you personally don't feel that they live up to that hype?

I would say first-person shooters in general. I can see why people like them, however, they just aren’t really my kind of game, especially the real-life military ones like Call of Duty. Give me platformers & RPGs any day over shooters. :yes:

I also think World of Warcraft is overrated. The gameplay is fun, the storyline is very epic, and I'm looking forward to the new Cataclysm revamp. But, the game has a number of annoying gimmicks in it, like the Alliance vs Horde war & vehicle combat. The game doesn't have player houses & guild halls, nor a really memorable professions/crafting system. A few of the races & characters, like Blood Elves and King Varian Wrynn, are shooting near the top of my "most hated characters" list. Sadly, I think that I prefer the Shaman feel of the Horde, but lore-wise, my heart lies with the “underdog” Alliance races & characters. The ten classes are really well put together, and the game does have a solid assortment of holiday events, but there are other MMOs that deserve some love as well (EQ2, FF11, etc.).

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
World of Warcraft was a real disappointment to me. When it came out I didn't bother about it because the idea to pay monthly fees for playing a game seemed stupid to me. However, my friends back then talked on me very long until they convinced me to give it a try, and so I tried. I found after around two months that the gameplay just seems totally dull to me. I mean, the game was just very monotonous in my eyes, you used always the same few skills and did the same stuff all the time. It just wasn't my game, and I am astonished so many people seem seriously addicted to it. But well, I am not either one of the person who has to make all the time trash talk about WoW players.

Call of Duty is also on my list. The only one I played was Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I mean, ok, the single player was ok although very short and not really great, but in multiplayer (which was the only reason I bought it) it seemed boring. People just camp around all the time and you die so quick. I guess I prefer more quicker / arcade like shooters like Unreal Tournament or Warsow, although shooters are not my favorite genre.

Well, other than that, I don't know a good example right now. I don't buy very many games anymore (I stick with one game for rather long time usually), and I don't always go with the most hyped games, like Starcraft 2 which I didn't buy yet (although I thought about it for short time and I have still an unused guess pass which someone gave me as a present before holidays because he wanted me to convince to switch with him to the game, but he lost already interest in the game after I came back from holidays :D).

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Types themselves divide the gaming variety.

All games that doesn't satisfy my Ne is overrated. Like the OP, I'm talking the repetitive FPS/MMORPG's/Action/Adventure, the lack of stuff. No "real" progress. No "depth". No "complexity". No strategy. Just do it again and again. No "growth".

I like RTS-RPG's. At least, the ones that give a lot of stuff to play with.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
All games that doesn't satisfy my Ne is overrated. Like the OP, I'm talking the repetitive FPS/MMORPG's/Action/Adventure, the lack of stuff. No "real" progress. No "depth". No "complexity". No strategy. Just do it again and again. No "growth".

I'll have to agree. There are not a whole lot of games that really transcend boring repetition. Especially the series games like halo, CoD, madden/NCdoublewhatever/WWE, etc. The rosters will get changed up a little and they'll add a couple new features that amount to little and ask for 60 dollars.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll have to agree. There are not a whole lot of games that really transcend boring repetition. Especially the series games like halo, CoD, madden/NCdoublewhatever/WWE, etc.

Oh yeah, sports games. Once you played one of them, you played them all.

The rosters will get changed up a little and they'll add a couple new features that amount to little and ask for 60 dollars.

Lol. yeah.

Innovative games are interesting. (maybe Heavy Rain?) But like sports games, if they don't change much, they're basically the same. no change. give me back my money.

KDude

I dig them, but there are better JRPGs.

Either way, for some reason.. for an introvert, I dislike more solitary RPGs, like Oblivion or Fallout. Party based games are cooler. "Band of heroes". That sort of thing.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love fallout...

Different strokes for different folks I guess... :shrug: :hifive:

Me too. It provides enough "choices and possibilities".

I suspect it to be an "NxTx" game.

I also like Dragon Age Origins.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love fallout...

Different strokes for different folks I guess... :shrug: :hifive:

Me too. It provides enough "choices and possibilities".

I suspect it to be an "NT" game.

KDude

I like the original fallouts more (a lot more tactical, for one. And funnier). I think Bethesda makes shit in general.

But yes, different strokes for different folks. :cool:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I like how solitary it is sometimes.

It's a quiet game sometimes almost like therapy.

KDude

Therapeutic games.. :thinking:

Most of the ones that register like that for me are kind of "sandboxes". Like Simcity/Sims stuff. Or just with a huge landscape with a lot of side activities to do.. I'm not a big fan of GTA, but I like Red Dead Redemption.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
We live in a world that's trying to cater to our every desire and screaming at us to spend our money ten times a second.

Sometimes its nice to just listen to the wind.... in a video game.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We live in a world that's trying to cater to our every desire and screaming at us to spend our money ten times a second.

A shift of environment? A shift of perspective?

KDude

Kinda off the point, but I read something funny in Thomson's book, that talked about ISTPs kind of compensating for lack of stimulating or dangerous sensory options with video games, or other kind of fantasy oriented creative options.

Such types have benefited from the advent of computers and video games. [..] The visual effects crews on films always seem to be composed of these types, who enjoy excercising their skills in the creation of realistic explosions, disasters, outer space scenarios, monsters, and stunts for movies.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
^ Haha true...

I like surfing and Fallout for the same reasons if that makes any sense.