• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter is Over rated

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It may be overrated but its overrated for good reason.

I love both the books and the movies regardless.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think so. It forms some sort of common nostalgia among me and my peers, a good nonsensical conversation topic. Like how old people talk about stuff from their time.

JustAMind

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
?
I have only watched the movies :blush: I enjoyed them
I'd like to see some more movies where badass spells are cast all over the place. Perhaps in more adult setting than Harry Potter.
Also it would be better if Harry died at the end. He's the Wesley Crusher of Harry Potter.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I normally find fantasy stories trite and filled with affected grandeur (LoTR, anything with wizards, dwarves, magic, etc.) but I LOVE Harry Potter. If it can make me like fantasy, I'm not sure it can be overrated.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I should probably read them sometime. I like Harry Dresden . . .

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the HP series worked better on film than it did on paper.
I read a few of the books, years ago, just to see what all the fuss was about. The story idea itself is fine (albeit rather formulaic- ultimate battle between good/evil- but that's practically unavoidable), but its structure/language is just... sad. Adverbs abound. Trademark of bad writing, when your vocabulary is limited to [for the most part] adverbs to draw a picture in the reader's mind. If I'd read that series as a child, I'd feel as though the author held some sort of condescension toward children... overly simplistic phrasing (within a novel) feels somewhat like sophisticated babytalk, to me. But then, I was reading rather heavy works when I was young, so my perception may be off about that last bit.

:shrug:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought the first two movies by Columbus were solid family films, dark and edgy in the way Disney films were in the '80s. After that, they became teen movies until they eventually degenerated into Twilight rip-offs.

R

Riva

I thought the first two movies by Columbus were solid family films, dark and edgy in the way Disney films were in the '80s. After that, they became teen movies until they eventually degenerated into Twilight rip-offs.

It was nothing like a teen movie. It had very few attributes of one. Infact it would have benefited if it did have more: giggling girls, slow walking guys, awkward yet blush potential moments, accidental physical contact etc.

The 4th book had some if it with the character cho but that was it.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Harry Potter is good but it's not that good. It's certainly not a monumental piece of literature. You can see the source of everything in it. But popular fiction, and things that make money in general are not that great. They need to be easily digestible, unchallenging, and accessible by the lowest common denominator. There is nothing wrong with any of that. I would also say J.K. Rowling is not that great a writer, and likely has an inflated sense that she is - vis a vie her huge success. She wrote a crime novel under a pen name so young readers wouldn't pick it up, but then it was "leaked" that it was hers, which coincidentally meant it would sell more copies. Compare all that to Salinger, for example, who was horrified that Catcher in the Rye was such a success and that Holden Caulfield felt so recognizable to so many people, because that kind of success meant mediocrity.

Harry Potter is good but it's not that good. It's certainly not a monumental piece of literature. You can see the source of everything in it. But popular fiction, and things that make money in general are not that great. They need to be easily digestible, unchallenging, and accessible by the lowest common denominator. There is nothing wrong with any of that. I would also say J.K. Rowling is not that great a writer, and likely has an inflated sense that she is - vis a vie her huge success. She wrote a crime novel under a pen name so young readers wouldn't pick it up, but then it was "leaked" that it was hers, which coincidentally meant it would sell more copies. Compare all that to Salinger, for example, who was horrified that Catcher in the Rye was such a success and that Holden Caulfield felt so recognizable to so many people, because that kind of success meant mediocrity.

Automatically equating popularity with mediocrity is ridiculous. Shakespeare and Mozart were popular in their time too. (I'm not saying JKR is Shakespeare but the ability to speak to the masses and hold universal appeal isn't automatically some terrible, shameful thing.)

I enjoyed Catcher In the Rye as much as the next disaffected teenager but the anti-phony policing is absurd.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Automatically equating popularity with mediocrity is ridiculous. Shakespeare and Mozart were popular in their time too. (I'm not saying JKR is Shakespeare but the ability to speak to the masses and hold universal appeal isn't automatically some terrible, shameful thing.)

I don't know if I agree with that. I am certainly not drawing a comparison due to a knee jerk reaction, and so my point is not ridiculous. Mediocrity is not necessarily bad, it's just limited, it's bourgeois. Shakespeare wrote many plays that were mediocre and if it wasn't for his great plays we would not know of him. Mozart was a child prodigy and started out entertaining the courts with his abilities as a child. This would have certainly sustained his later popularity. Most important works challenged the times and were not appreciated until they had been around for a while.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Furthermore: I did not equate the two, J.D. Salinger did. I am agreeing with it in this sense with regards to the topic. I would agree that it is largely true, though perhaps not always.

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I liked the parts where forgotten elements of previous books were found to be critical in later ones, but the rest sounds like fan fiction.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I do agree with the OP. and saying it was over rated is not the same as saying it sucks. I also forgot I made this thread. I knew it existed but I swore someone else made it.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
They were my favourite books growing up, but to be honest, now that I am something of a children's literature buff, I realize I didn't read very good books back then. It was just whatever my parents bought at yard sales (Goosebumps, Boxcar Children, Archie Comics, etc.). They're not the best children's books ever, but they are a good combination of mass appeal and quality. It turned book releases into major events. And people love being a part of big cultural events, fandoms, etc.

IMO, whenever there is a big following/fandom surrounding a show, it becomes a bit insufferable to people who aren't big fans (I like Sherlock, but the obsessive people on Tumblr irritate me). So naturally, there are going to be a lot of people who find the whole Harry Potter phenomenon to be overblown. They're not wrong.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what I've read (the 1st three books), I agree that it's overrated but not a complete waste of time. If I had kids I wouldn't mind them reading it, but I would also recommend some better children's literature like Madeleine L'Engle and C.S. Lewis.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Omg people are such freaks. What kind of person thinks Harry Potter is overrated!?!?! FREAKS. THATS WHO.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm such a freak.:pinkcuffs: