• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter is Over rated

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Is this overrated?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4"]Overrated?[/YOUTUBE]

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I met a woman once who said she had bought her daughter all four (at the time) books because they "got kids to read." The girl never so much as cracked them open. :doh:

Probably an ESTP. :D

:thelook: I read... a lot...

F

figsfiggyfigs

I met a woman once who said she had bought her daughter all four (at the time) books because they "got kids to read." The girl never so much as cracked them open. :doh:

Probably an ESTP. :D

Actually, Harry Potter IS what got ME into reading. It's how it started, My English improved by 2 grades, and I discovered a whole different world. My family was never the " book" sort, luckily my friends were insistent on me reading it.

Sunny Ghost

:sadbanana:

I am a huuuuge Harry Potter fanatic. And you people sadden me. :(

Honestly, it's just a feel good movie for me. And it's very creative. I love the characters, I love the story, I love the fantasy world. They're simply fun and enjoyable to read and watch. I loved both the books and the movies. Tell me you never wished you went to the wizarding school of Hogwarts. Sounds... ah-mazing!

I thought a lot of J.K. Rowlings ideas were somewhat genius, too. The pensieve? When you find yourself with too many cluttered thoughts, pulling them out so one can go back and examine them separately and when they are ready? The spell, "ridiculous." (Though I'm sure it was spelled differently.) Turning our fears into laughter. The maurauders map: "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." "Mischief managed." Love it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do enjoy those harry potter mockeries.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this overrated?

Of course not ;)

I am undecided about the books/movies themselves though. The story is awesome and it's all fun and magical but considering the masses of crazed Potter fans, I think it's about at a draw. So about appropriately rated, perhaps.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I enjoyed the series. Never really got into the fan culture though.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
They are not the best books I've ever read, but I like them and I'm happy to have them in my bookcase, as I would reread them now and then.
Is the success too big compared with the quality? I won't judge on that. I've contributed myself a very little bit to the success (by buying all seven books and going to some of the movies) and I'm happy about what I got in return (enjoying the books and the movies). Good for Rowling.

For people like me - wannabe writers - there's a sharp edge to such discussions. Jealousy. If I start saying some best-sellers don't deserve their success, it sounds like I'm complaining about my lack of success. I don't want to do that. Still, there are best-sellers I don't like. Do they deserve their succes? I guess they do. I guess the fans enjoyed them, and that's the thing that matters.
I only hope some day people will enjoy my books too.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I can't get into it. My ex was crazy about it, which I found slightly odd. She read the books over and over, watched the movies over and over. Couldn't get enough. Not sure if it would matter if I was younger.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't agree. The Harry Potter movies and books are really great entertainment IMO. It's not overrated.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I like the books well enough, and I don't think that they're overrated (a lot of people even apologize for it or say "I know it's not the best, but...".) I DO think the latest films are overrated, though! Goddamn, the director since the fifth film (I don't know why they keep the fucker) is awful, but the three he's done so far have gotten way better reviews than they deserve. I mean, the seventh film was corny and boring as all hell.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The HP7 film part 1 was forgettable, the rest of the films were okay. Hopes part two is more uplifting.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the movies aren't great, i've seen all of them but i never get too excited. i love the books though. i don't know what it is about them that makes them so addicting, but whenever the new ones came out i would be glued to it and finish it within a couple days. i haven't read them since the last one came out though, so i didn't even remember half of what was goinng on in the last movie when i saw it. i should reread :)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The HP7 film part 1 was forgettable, the rest of the films were okay. Hopes part two is more uplifting.

i'm kinda scared that the last movie is just going to be one 2 hour long fight scene

Sunny Ghost

OMG! You just reminded me! I had a nightmare about the last Harry Potter movie being awful and dreadful and boring!

Sunny Ghost

I like the books well enough, and I don't think that they're overrated (a lot of people even apologize for it or say "I know it's not the best, but...".) I DO think the latest films are overrated, though! Goddamn, the director since the fifth film (I don't know why they keep the fucker) is awful, but the three he's done so far have gotten way better reviews than they deserve. I mean, the seventh film was corny and boring as all hell.

I actually loved the 5th and 6th movies. And part 1 of the 7th... I thought it followed along quite accurately to the book. Nothing was changed and it's all building up to the 2nd part of the 7th. I <3 everything Potter. :yes:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm beginning to doubt my taste, because I thought the 5th, 6th, and 7th (part 1) movies were the best yet. :shrug: :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^I agree. The newer films are much better than the early ones. They have more to work with, also. The Cuaron directed once is an exception.