• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harry Potter is Over rated

Kenn Salvatore

MBTI Type
INTp
I can never find myself saying that something or anything is "over rated" because I find that anything that anyone may like in this world, chances are there is going to be quite a lot of people that would like it as well. So should I change my opinion of it because of ours? To say something is over rated in my opinion is pointless, but I guess sometimes I forget that other people's opinion matter as well. *sigh

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dont know if the stories about Rowling being on welfare when she lucked out with the first book about a neglected child going to wizarding school, which is remarkably similar to some public schools in England, are true either. There's a lot of elements from other stories or myth and legend recycled for that book, all that's really original are the 101 little magical elements like moving pictures, staircases, strange sweets or talking letters or quidditch but the stories about evil that cant be destroyed but which periodically re-emerges to be put down by heroes, possibly sacrificing themselves in the process are as old as time itself.
I have read all the HP books and seen all the movies save the last. Lark's comments here point out some of what I enjoy about the series, namely how it weaves together aspects of "normal life" (the English public school system), timeless archetypes, tidbits from myth and legend, and Rowling's own inventions. The school setting itself reminds me quite a bit of the school in Delderfield's To Serve Them All My Days.

As to whether the stories are overrated, it depends upon whose rating one is considering. I find the books entertaining, engaging, and thought-provoking. There is almost nothing in the experience of present-day teenagers that does not have an analogy in the series, which makes them good fodder for discussion. I am less impressed by the movies, which sacrifice more than necessary in the interests of meeting budget and time constraints. The 6th movie I found particularly lacking. I agree with the person who cited fanon, and have read much wonderful fanfiction. All the rest I can do without, and agree is excessive hype. This includes theme parks, toys, games, etc. etc. Stick to the books, and perhaps the movies; the DIY creativity spawned in fanfic, and ignore the rest.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Snape was the only character I ever felt any sort of interest in or attachment to in the series, but I did enjoy reading the books despite how insufferable Harry was. As others have said, there is some wonderful fan fiction out there, and as far as the movies go, the older actors have been doing a great job even if the plot has suffered. I've never been a rabid fan, but I go to the premieres, and I knit myself a Slytherin scarf this past fall which has turned out to be very useful in the bitter weather we've been having lately. I still have the books and re-read them on occasion.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Is the major appeal of the series the depth of the 'parallel' world? When you have a long series, there is more incentive to flesh out the world in depth, rather than rely on the readers imagination to smooth over the holes.

I can' tell whether Pratchett's Discworld series is so appealing to me since I have read so many of those books, or whether each individual story is also very good.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^^I agree. The newer films are much better than the early ones. They have more to work with, also. The Cuaron directed once is an exception.

Are you serious? I thought the third and fourth films were the best. All of the others, especially the newer ones, are crappy. I was looking forward to the action parts of the fifth, sixth, and seventh films, but in the fifth it was truncated to a five second clip, in the sixth it was overshadowed by an overlong, sappy vigil for Dumbledore (that fuck...I waited so long for him to die), and in the seventh it was shot like Twilight. It's also very painful remembering those scenes from the sixth film where Dumbledore is talking to Harry...SO boring, and so corny. It doesn't help that Michael Gambon's Dumbledore comes off either as his usual asshole-type character or as comic relief.

KDude

One of my favorite actors is/was Richard Harris, so I like the early ones more, for that alone. I don't mind the other actor, but..

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Heh, there was one scene in the fourth film that I replayed over and over again involving Dumbledore scuttling down the stairs, all composure lost, and then shaking Harry violently whilst slurrily shrieking "did you pught your naame in the goblet of fiiiaaah?." It was the scene right after the one where the goblet ejaculated Harry's name.

Actually, here it is. :laugh:

[YOUTUBE="yZh9E16pMcg"]Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire?[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="b4JgjXWEhs0"]Angry Dumbledore[/YOUTUBE]

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overrated or not, I still remember having the book read to my class like 10 years ago (? somewhere around there) as a thing my teacher did for the class being good.

Elementary school years hehe.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Loved the books. I'm not that interested in the movies.

I'll wait 20 years and then when noone remembers Harry Potter but everyone still remembers Star Wars, I'll know I did the right thing to never read a Harry Potter book :D

:laugh:

I love the books and think they might actually be underrated. While I do have issues with some of Rowling's characterization, I also find a lot of her characters lovable and easy to identify or empathize with. Even more importantly, she managed to create a rich, lush world that readers could make easily their own by populating with their own imaginations. You only need to look at the plethora of fanfiction and play-by-post RPGs to see that there's something about the series that allows readers to engage and participate in the HP universe in an active and involved fashion.

Is JKR the first person in the world ever to create a universe that people can internalize and individualize? Absolutely not. But saying that Star Wars/LotR/fandom of your choice did it first doesn't in any way detract from her achievement.

I will say that with the exception of the most recent one, none of the movies ever felt right to me. It was like stepping into a familiar, well-loved world only to find that the sheen and colour that had made it so appealing were gone. I like to think that I've open to other people's opinions and interpretations, but it was mildly depressing to realize that there were people who didn't believe that the things I found valuable were worth preserving.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
there, I've said it. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the books, but I don't get the hooplah associated with it is all about. Yet everyone I know is so excited about the new movie, and I'm like I don't care. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on dvd, but i don't care otherwise. who else agrees?

I remember when the last book came out a few years back. I locked myself in my room to read it while my roomate through a house party! (Yes I'm Enfp). I really dug the books, and enjoyed the movies too though not as much as the books. I also got caught up in the 'Twilight' series! I got so much crap from my NT friends.. but didn't care. I've also read Neitzsche, Rand, etc. and still didn't get the high I got reading the Potter series! lol. I just think reading any fictional book can be such therapeutic escapsim. And the Potter books were fantastic at this.

Now the hype that hit beyond the books.. like people dressing up in wizard costumes, creating real life Gryffendor goups, etc.. that was lame. LAME LAME LAME. Someone earlier said they try not to say anythings over rated, and I agree. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If you can find something to escape this sometimes dreary, drab ass reality.. MORE POWER TO YA!

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Now if you wanted to rag on the mindless reality tv zombies, I could go to town on that one =)

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I totally agree that HP is overrated. I've seen the first film and decided I never want to see another one - and promised to myself never to read the books (although otherwise I'm a total bookworm :))

There's just something about HP and Friends that irks me big time...

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
I received my first HP book as a gift from an uncle I had never met, back in the third grade(1999-2000). I had always liked stories, but had never really been a big reader. In fact, I hated everything to do with reading and writing. You wouldn't know it now. Harry Potter single-handedly got me interested in reading. It really took off from there. I can't imagine what I would have done if I wouldn't have found reading, because for years after that I used it to escape from the majority of the issues in my life. I loved the series, I own them all, read them out of order from time to time, and all and all think they're pretty good books. The movies are OK, I think the first one for me was magical, I didn't really care for two, I loved three, and I hated four. Five was good, six wasn't my favorite, and seven pt.1 was pretty good.

R

Riva

First of all i loved the books and the movies. Third book was my favourite because for once there was a mystery to be solved without the whole school staring at harry.

Second am i the only one who thinks luna livegood and harry would have made a better couple than harry and ginny? Too bad the author didn't add a proper love life to the main character and exploit his emotions (emotions other than anger).

I've liked the fourth movie the best of all of them so far.

It's been years since I've read em, but I think I liked the 5th book the best.

Dude i would have never guessed that you've read harry potter.