• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kinect (for Xbox 360)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What are your thoughts speculations for the Kinect for Xbox 360 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect. Will it be a bang or a dud? Health or privacy issues or other concerns/hopes? Will it change or substantially expand how we play games or is it just window frosting? A killer app, just more junk or meh?

I am rather optimistic about this device and thinking about getting it for myself or as a gift to a loved one.

Discuss

Kinda reminds me of HAL

xbox_kinect_cost.jpg

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I just want to play Project Draco (Yukio Futatsugi :heart:) and Child of Eden ( Tetsuya Mizuguchi :heart:). Two of my heroes making videogames again. And rail shooters at that :D

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just want to play Project Draco (Yukio Futatsugi :heart:) and Child of Eden ( Tetsuya Mizuguchi :heart:). Two of my heroes making video games again. And rail shooters at that :D

Yeah those look cool. Flying games like Draco seem to complement the device. Games like Child of Eden w a big screen TV (especially if it could be done 3d) and a Kinect makes consider taking psychedelic mushrooms again.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYWLYjOa_0

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Although I am not overly impressed with the launch titles one can see the potential. Althogh I have never played a dance game, this game seems pretty fun to play since the Kinect is involved. Plus it looks like good exercise (which comes to mind when one thinks about the modern trend of lockkey children not being allowed to play outside and sitting on the couch getting fat)

See:http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzzle/dancecentral/video/6283610/dance-central-video-review

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah those look cool. Flying games like Draco seem to complement the device. Games like Child of Eden w a big screen TV (especially if it could be done 3d) and a Kinect makes consider taking psychedelic mushrooms again.
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYWLYjOa_0

You ever played Rez? The HD version on a big screen with 5.1 sound system. There's you psychedelic experience.

I think the device has potential, if nothing else as the precursor for something even better.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You ever played Rez? The HD version on a big screen with 5.1 sound system. There's you psychedelic experience.

I think the device has potential, if nothing else as the precursor for something even better.

Yeah I played the original version of Rez back on the Dreamcast and think it (and games like Child of Eden) would be a great medium for the Kinect

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It doesn't have any games where I go, "Man I'd love to play that game." So my gut reaction is that it will flop. And from a financial perspective I doubt it will attract new users, because the price of a new XBox360 + Kinect is a lot more than the price of a Wii which has more games at a lower price. Then there is the third factor, which is that one should never get excited about anything that Microsoft comes out with. ;)

So overall I don't have much hope for it.

KDude

I'd probably just go for the PS3 version (move) because I've invested in it more. I have a 360, but it kind of collects dust.

I think it's cool, but I don't want these to become exclusive ways in controlling games. Normal game controllers + sitting on the couch is downright sacred. I don't want it taken away :rolli:

Seriously though, I had a Wii at one point, and it was fun when people were around.. but kind of a pain in the ass with single player games. It didn't encourage the same level of chillness that a controller does. It's not that I'm in bad shape, but I like to indulge in that. I like to just press a button to attack, not fully emulate unsheathing a sword, and then swinging around the room like a moron. It's cool at first, but games like.. Zelda are kind of long. The novelty wears off sooner or later. And they didn't give the option of using an old controller. You had to get the GameCube version if you wanted that.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hear is an interesting tidbit I came across that I am not completely clear on yet.

Planning on buying a Kinect this November? If you've got one of those ... not-so-Slim Xbox 360s, then you're gonna need some extra power outlets, as Microsoft tells us that older Xbox consoles will need a separate power supply for the motion controller add-on.

Does that mean a person without the most recent Xbox 360 will also need to buy and additional power supply when they purchase the Kinect or does it already come with any additional plugs if necessary.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know what the price point on this is, but I know it works well and it's fun. A Microsoft guy brought one to my work a few weeks ago, and we played a river rafting game. It was super fun, and the device wasn't touchy or glitchy at all.

KDude

Hear is an interesting tidbit I came across that I am not completely clear on yet.

Planning on buying a Kinect this November? If you've got one of those ... not-so-Slim Xbox 360s, then you're gonna need some extra power outlets, as Microsoft tells us that older Xbox consoles will need a separate power supply for the motion controller add-on.

Does that mean a person without the most recent Xbox 360 will also need to buy and additional power supply when they purchase the Kinect or does it already come with any additional plugs if necessary.

Not sure if mine's not-so-slim.. it's one of the Elite/black ones.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have an Elite too and think it needs to be plugged into a separate power unlike the slim 360 S.

The new 360 S has a special port for Kinect that also provides power to the unit so no power adapter needed.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Do not want, basically an updated Eyetoy

I'm sure it'll sell loads as people buy into microsofts bullshit though

KDude

I don't think anyone buys into Microsoft's bullshit with the XBox. I think they've been forced into competitiveness more often. Last I checked, the PS3 and Xbox were nearly deadlocked in console sales, and it was the Wii outselling both by a giant margin.

Kind of beside the point, but still.