• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anime suggestions?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Im not too familiar with anime, but I'm looking for a new show. So far all I really know is Dragon Ball/DBZ and Vision of Escaflowne. I also like Miyazaki movies, and stuff like Akira, but I don't know a whole lot.

What would you suggest for a show that has a deep, thought provoking plot, good humour, good action, maybe some sort of romantic plot or sub plots, and good character development?

KDude

Points to avatar.. Cowboy Bebop, although it's episodic. There's a continuing plot, but that isn't it's focus.

It might be hard to find all of those categories in one series. You could just split it up :)

One of the most thought provoking as well as funny (to me) is nonexistent in action - Welcome to the NHK. It's a show about an underachieving shut-in. Which is actually more interesting than it sounds. I consider it thought provoking because it's not really a subject dealt with in film or shows, yet it's a real social issue (especially in Japan where it originated).

Action wise, there are tons. For something more modern/present day, Black Lagoon. Bebop is Sci-fi. Claymore for fantasy. Tengen Toppa Gurran Laggan is kind of half-mech, half drawn out-epic-DBZ like fights (this is like the greatest anime ever imo, if you stick with it).

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Agree with Cowboy Bebop.

I also think Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist (The brotherhood version has a better plot, because it's directly based on the manga, unlike the first version.) have good plots and they don't go on FOREVER...Haha, yeah they're over-rated...but I'm not a big follower on anime, just the ones friends recommend me, because if I try and watch some on my own they're just weird and piss me off because they're awkward to watch. Personally I can't stand anime that have way more than 100 episodes...it's just a little ridiculous, and when really obscure un-necessary characters are added just to add annoying factor. I remember I was watching Bleach when it was just coming out on the tele, and once they added that bear thing I was like, 'yeah I'm done...there's not point of it.' :shrug:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Death Note is a good one.

death+note%27s+main+cast.jpg

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, yes, you must watch Gurren Lagann, your life isn't complete until you do so.

I would also recommend Baccano; recent 16 episode anime about several dozen different characters in the 1930's, although it takes place in other timelines as well. It's about immortals, theives, gangsters, and all other kinds of crazy shit going on, the characters are extremely fun (all twenty some of them) and the American dub has excelletn spot on voices; you'll be able to hear the difference between New York accents, chicago accents, etc.

And Death Note, which is about a genious high schooler you finds a notebook that can kill anyone in the world just be writing that persons name in it while visualizing their face; and he vows to start killing criminal in order to become the god of a new world. Yeah, good stuff.

KDude

Agree with Cowboy Bebop.

I also think Death Note and Full Metal Alchemist (The brotherhood version has a better plot, because it's directly based on the manga, unlike the first version.) have good plots and they don't go on FOREVER...Haha, yeah they're over-rated...but I'm not a big follower on anime, just the ones friends recommend me, because if I try and watch some on my own they're just weird and piss me off because they're awkward to watch. Personally I can't stand anime that have way more than 100 episodes...it's just a little ridiculous, and when really obscure un-necessary characters are added just to add annoying factor. I remember I was watching Bleach when it was just coming out on the tele, and once they added that bear thing I was like, 'yeah I'm done...there's not point of it.' :shrug:

Yeah, I tend to prefer the 26 episode type of series too. Even the stuff that's drawn out (like Bleach or Naruto) are good, but only for about that long (actually Bleach is cool all the way to the Soul Society story arc.. after that I got bored).

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I agree that something that isnt insanely long would be a bit easier to get in to or to give up if I didnt like it ultimately

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree that something that isnt insanely long would be a bit easier to get in to or to give up if I didnt like it ultimately

Something with good plot, character development, humour and action... 26 episodes? There are very few shows that fulfill that criterion.

Code Geass (S1+2) is 52 episodes long and has lots of action, humour, good characterisation and awesome plot.
Eureka 7 is 50 episodes but is really very good (even though mecha is NOT my genre of interest).
Hikaru no Go is 75 episodes and has everything except romance. Is also incredibly easy to get into and not as repetitive as other competition anime.
Toradora! is not action, but has a good plot, character development, romance and humour and is 25 episodes.
Ouran High School Host Club is hilarious, 26 episodes, not much character development or action... but again, hilarious and awesome.

Others have already recommended FMA and Cowboy Bebop, and if I include Darker than Black (S1+2) we have virtually the entire BONES list here.

Most shounen series are action-based with humour, but don't have great characterisation. Most shoujo series are romantic and have good characterisation, but no action at all. I watch both, and it's hard to find something with overlap. Bakuman (manga from Shounen Jump) is one of them, but it's only just being animated this season, and I assume that you want to marathon anime.