• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month, November 2010

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm going to do it!

linkto - What is NaNoWriMo?

Anyone else signing up for NaNoWriMo is welcome to post here and we can keep each other inspired.

Right now I'm getting my thoughts organized to decide on my theme.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started a novella a few years ago for NaNoWriMo. I started off strong, but by mid month had slacked beyond being able to catch up. I think I should have gone to some meet-ups, but I always felt too shy. I don't feel motivated this year.... Anyway -----> I'm here for moral support :p.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did this in 2005. I "won".

I don't think I'll do it again.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Wow. that is a lot! and I have my SRP (big 3rd year college assignemt) and my personal statement.
But I am strongly considering it! :O I need moral support if I join. :O

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm down like a clown, Charlie b-bb-bbreeeeuu... Charlie bb-bbrroooown.

Yay!

Anyway -----> I'm here for moral support :p.

Yay!

Did you ever advance that novella you started beyond NaNoWriMo?

I did this in 2005. I "won".

I don't think I'll do it again.

Yay! Whoops, why not dear MacGuffin? Did you finish one? What was your experience like?

Wow. that is a lot! and I have my SRP (big 3rd year college assignemt) and my personal statement.
But I am strongly considering it! :O I need moral support if I join. :O

Yay! But don't compromise your schoolwork. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, if you "win" you hit the 50k mark.

Just hard, and the writing wasn't that great.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you ever advance that novella you started beyond NaNoWriMo?

Not beyond more than a few paragraphs. I think I should have created an outline of sorts. I definitely needed some pre-writing organization. I'm definitely the dive-right-in type because I almost fear losing the motivation in a planning process. This is all very INFP...

I have 2 issues with writing (and maybe bringing these up can help others who face similar ones).
1. I want to write about things that FEEL important or true to me, but these "feelings" are much too intense and difficult to adequately describe, so then I become overwhelmed, frustrated, and almost emabrrassed to put it on paper. I think, "This is so horribly maudlin and pretentious and not anything like what I mean to say." - TRASH.
2. I have 5000000+ ideas at once and they rush by in a whiz like a color wheel where all the colors become one and I see the story as a whole but fail to be able to pick out details in the imagination to actually describe it in written form. I've tried sort of imagining it and describing it as I write, but then it gets so esoteric it feels self-indulgent (see #1).

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Is it possible to write something in Dutch for NaNoWriMo? In that case, I'm in. That story about the enchanted sausage roll really needs to be worked out properly. Or maybe I can translate my cannibal cult story to a novel version. Maybe something autobiographic would work out well. I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH IDEAS!!!

Oh, what the heck, I signed up anyways. I still have 13 days left to pick a story.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Okay, now I've been searching the website for information about writing in languages other than English, but I couldn't find anything. Now I'm confused.

Edit: Yes, I can!!! So now I don't have to change the title, the main character's name and some other names in the story (yes, I just made up a new one). It's about a nobody, doing nothing all day long, complaning about everybody being crazy. OKAY! OKAY! It's a fucking autobiography with all the names edited, happy now?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
OK. I did it! I'm going to write a novel in one month!
If I were to start today, I would start with the infamous phrase "it was a dark and stormy night" because the wind is howling outside! But I think that I'll try to be a little more original than that!!!:newwink:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Yay Kat! Yay Walking Tourist!

Glad you're both joining us ... this should be an adventure!

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
If people look for me at the NaNoWriMo website, just PM me and I'll share my username.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did it last year (with a journal-writing project, not a novel, because I couldn't write fiction to save my life) and "won". Am thinking about doing it again this year. Would love to make friends with TypeC peeps on the NaNo site if I go ahead with it.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Does anybody else have a plot yet? Mine just came rolling out of my mind. The current working title is "Normalness". The story is about a factory worker, who lives together with their mute sister. They don't know their father and their mother is in jail. One day the factory boss, a terribly obese man, decides he wants to lose weight, so from that moment on he only wants to eat healthy food and exercise every day. That evening the obese factory boss chokes in an apple while jogging. The factory gets itself a new boss, but he has no idea how to manage the company, so within a few months the factory gets closed. With the money their mother earned with some crimes the main character and the main character's sister go to college, where they find a completely different culture than they're used to. The rest of the story is about their struggle to become normal and fit in.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have a plot.

July is grounded somehow in Minneapolis, Canada, during his flight from Sacramento, Pacifica to his home Anchorage, Russia. However, the man at the airport check-in says the flight was never en route to Anchorage. There were never any flights en route to Anchorage, because there is no Anchorage, there hasn’t been any since the toxic drops on the territory twenty years ago, when everyone was either evacuated or poisoned and killed.

This is the story July hears again and again, from Canadians and Americans, and he sees the documentaries, and meets survivors. He stays boarded up in the hotel in a state of shock and unable to attempt to contact his family, until he meets a fellow groundling, Lafayette. Lafayette's decided he’s finished with travel, school, and obligation and is instead going somewhere— anywhere— and because of July's pure morbid curiosity, his fascination with Lafayette, the human trainwreck, July goes along for the ride.

Soon, July finds himself a fugitive in toxic rural Nouvelle Louisiane with Lafayette, becoming increasingly homesick as he finds more reasons for his homesickness of a place that doesn’t exist. He hears of Pacifican spies who have been brainwashed to find routes into Alaska, of the Russian time-machine project, the Moon2, visible even now in the sky, and the fact that the brainwashing method leaked from Pacifica into surrounding territories as a recreational drug. He finds hope in finding New Orleans, thought to be sunk, still around and thriving, but as his homesickness becomes more palpable, his thoughts more disordered, he can’t help but begin to feel this need to return home has become unnatural, that the propaganda and rumors surrounding his home might just be true…

The Traveler Only is a YA Science Fiction Novel in 50,000 words.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep, I'm in. :D I don't know if I'm going to hit 50k words this time, but I'm going to write. :D