• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dedicated to Electronic Music

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heard this is a coffee shop the other day, and have been re-listening to Com Truise albums since then.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love com truise too. A step above most of the synthwave and retrowave I've heard. A nice counterbalance to the Kavinsky school (which is also good, if redundant).

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't care for this Droid Bishop track at first but it has really grown on me.

Permabanned
I don't know if vaporwave can even be called electronic music but it occurred to me I've been dabbling in it since before it had a name. I used to cut up and edit shit for fun in Audacity, slowing things down, using reverse, adding echo, making loops, fucking with compression, etc. I remember taking a lo-fi tape of my old band's rehearsal sessions and cutting and pasting different parts into some really cool, slowed down ambient shit. I really wish I had saved some of those old experiments but most of them died with my last computer. there was probably enough for a couple EP length releases but at the time (early 2000s) it didn't occur that someone might actually be interested in any of it.

So last night I took Donna Summer's Down Deep Inside, slowed it down, and copied several sections for use in looping. I find disco music to be very good for this, because much of it was extremely precise in timing--I assume most disco would've been recorded on 24 track at the time and that metronomes would have been used frequently aid in creating highly syncopated beats. Because of this, sampling any disco or dance has always been easier to me than say, a prog or classical piece with shifting time signatures and tempos. Once you can locate the spikes of the beats in the waveform, knowing where to select and cut is easy. Incidentally certain rock music like Queen and Bowie featured very professional drumming, so they can also be easy to sample.

I'm still not sure if I want to make this an instrumental or use some snippets of Summer's vocals. They sound eerie slowed down, but I'll probably just kick the speed up a bit once the entire sample track is ready. I will probably wind up making multiple versions. I could adjust the pitch but I think I'm leaning toward making this a sick instrumental remix. And I've been thinking it would be cool to do a John Barry remix project for a while.

Once I have the sequence of loops figured out (I currently have about 2 minutes worth) I will then take the sample and import it into my DAW, then experiment with the right sounds to lay over it. The key challenge will be leaving enough "space" as I make the sample track, otherwise any additional instrumentation might just clutter the thing up. Not that clutter is bad when mixed correctly, but I tend to lean toward a minimalism in my music. Sometimes less is more.

I find vaporwave surprisingly fascinating, not for the concept but for the usually unexpected result from something so simple.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*gasp* Why did I not know this thread existed until now? I loveee electronic music.:D
Some of my favorites:
I'll post more later. Gotta check out the rest of the thread.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find vaporwave surprisingly fascinating, not for the concept but for the usually unexpected result from something so simple.

Shit, yeah, I moved it to my blog and deleted from this thread. Sorry. Maybe @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/8936.html" target="_blank">highlander</a> can delete your reply quote so we can declutter the thread. Is there a thread dedicated specifically to discussion of the recording and production of electronic music?

- - - Updated - - -

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Delightful for an early bus ride. [MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION]

All

Last edited: