• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NFL quarterbacks and MBTI

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What types are some of the top QBs? Is there any trend in type?

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Brett Favre and Ben Roethlisberger seem to be ISTPs.

Out of the other top QBs over the last 10 years or so...I've seen Peyton Manning typed an ENFJ but I don't know if I believe that or not. He comes across as very much a T. Drew Brees I could believe as some sort of feeler, maybe an ENFJ. Phillip Rivers ESTP?

I argued with someone once that Eli Manning might be an INTP. He's been thought of since his high school days as kind of an odd duck. Doesn't socialize, doesn't pay much attention to sports in general outside of his job on the field.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always seen Manning as ESTP.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always seen Manning as ESTP.

Peyton? I used to think so too, but the more I learn about him the more J-ish he seems. While his preparation and focus are unmatched; he also seems to be more of a strategic thinker than most pro athletes. ENTJ wouldn't surprise me.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
He dominates like an ENTJ. Right now he is ruining my week's predictions.

I argued with someone once that Eli Manning might be an INTP. He's been thought of since his high school days as kind of an odd duck. Doesn't socialize, doesn't pay much attention to sports in general outside of his job on the field.

I wouldn't be surprise by that at all. Eli could be one.

KDude

I think ESTPs probably make an ideal quarterback (if you factor some of the more extroverted traits of the position.. their team orientation, being on top of playbooks and everyone's strengths, and not just their own skills, etc.. Their often motivating or teaching everyone about the offense just as much as coaches). Then again, I've seen Warren Moon typed as an ISFP by that Neidnagel dude, and it makes a lot of sense. Same with Terry Bradshaw as an ESFJ. There are probably quite a few players off the beaten path.

Brees does seem like an F at times, but it isn't exactly what stands out to me. He probably has the most unreal precision out of anyone. If he's an ENFJ, I need to rethink what that type means.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I think ESTPs probably make an ideal quarterback (if you factor some of the more extroverted traits of the position.. their team orientation, being on top of playbooks and everyone's strengths, and not just their own skills, etc.. Their often motivating or teaching everyone about the offense just as much as coaches). Then again, I've seen Warren Moon typed as an ISFP by that Neidnagel dude, and it makes a lot of sense. Same with Terry Bradshaw as an ESFJ. There are probably quite a few players off the beaten path.

One of the coolest QB ever.

Joe Namath (ESFP)

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDg5vacKOs4"]Namath[/youtube]

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
On that site they claim Tom Brady is an ENTP. I could see that. They also say Drew Brees is an ENFP. Not too far fetch, especially in terms of his personality.

KDude

The original guy behind that school of thought wrote in one of his books that Brady was ENFP...not ENTP. The guy behind that website is someone following Neidnagel, but adjusting/retyping a little on his own. Neidnagel himself is hired by teams to test people and help scout. Not sure if he was directly in contact with Brady, but the NBA makes use of him quite a bit. Danny Ainge is one of his biggest fans, so he has spent a lot of time in Boston at least.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Tom Brady is a big softy when he gets off the field.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jay Cutler - ISTP.

Oh wait. He's not really a top quarterback.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Who needs a top quarterback when you've got top defense.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
do any of you guys play quarterback? do you guys play football much?
i play QB. i would think any type might play QB, and type just affects how you play the position you play.
if i had to guess, some of my friends who play QB are: ENTJ, ESTP.... i don't know.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
i play QB. i would think any type might play QB, and type just affects how you play the position you play.
if i had to guess, some of my friends who play QB are: ENTJ, ESTP.... i don't know.

My brother was a QB in highschool. ISTP.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is from another thread...and I was finally vindicated that Kyle Orton the SJ aint that great yesturday! haha :D

I used to be one of those, "It wouldnt be ethical to target people based on personality"... but then I realized how effective personality is on NFL quarterbacks! Seriously, every year there is a big debate in the NFL draft and about recently drafted players. They all have physical tools to succeed. Some people blame the situations they are put (bad teams often draft these NFL hopefuls!).

I've noticed that in general:

SJs struggle with being a "gunslinger". They fail to step up to the plate and just "gun it" down the field. The SJ QBs generally either go to their first read, or to their check down reciever (they dont go through the progressions of looking at their different receivers). They can't handle when the play goes differently than planned.

Examples: Ryan Leaf (ESTJ), Jason Campbell (ISFJ), Kerry Collins (ISTJ). These QBs either flop, or have marginal success when allowed to stare all damn day at their first target (and wait for him to get open).

NJs dont seem to have these same "OCD lock onto my first receiver" issues. They often are very vocal leaders of the team, and have a good ability to get on their team mates case. These are the OCD perfectionists that still maintain the ability to see plays through a break down. They know their play books inside and out. They can approach the line with a zillion adjustments at a moments notice. They are perfectionists, but they somehow aren't crippled by it (as the SJ QBs are).

Examples: Peyton Manning (ENFJ), Rich Gannon (ENTJ).

ENXP QBs are the "cool" under pressure QBs. These are the guys who thrive under the tight situations. They literally seem like the luckiest guys in the world sometimes (as these types often seem in real life). They are risk takers, but benefit from exceptional intuition that lets them see things before they unfold. They aren't just risk takers in that "gunslinger sense". They are mental risk takers in their predictions and intuitions.

Examples: Tom Brady (ENFP)

ESXPs QBs are the gunslingers. They have no issues with slinging the ball down the field. They bounce back from mistakes. They energize their team mates. They are competitive, but are not OCD about it. They just "get it done" (when the physical talent is there of course). The ESTPs may benefit from slightly better decision making. The ESFPs may benefit from slightly better "cheerleader" qualities (energizes the team!).

Examples: Brett Favre (ESFP), Philip Rivers (ESTP)

In general, QB drafting/selecting would be a lot better with these "rules":
<> Must be E (possible exceptions ISTP or INTJ)
<> Cannot be SJ
<> Must be compelled to put in lots of study either because they "care" (ENFJ, ENFP, ESFP) or are damn competitive (ESTP, ENTJ). (possible exceptions for ENTP).

I guarantee that no ISFJ will be winning a superbowl any time soon. Go ahead and try this out on any pro QB that you feel you have gotten a good glimpse at personality wise!

If it works for QBs...what else could it work for???

fecaleagle

MBTI Type
INTj
I think STp is the most common...they are usually pretty athletic. I think that an athletic INTJ could make a great QB because of our ability to predict how things will play out based on patterns. It would allow for great pocket awareness as well as good vision of receiver routes and defensive coverage. But athleticism is not a common thing among NTs haha. I bet we make the best QBs playing Madden on xbox!

KDude

I was never good at it. I think if I had cared more, I might have made a good WR (uh, not pro). For someone who smoked a lot of weed, I also smoked my highschool's varsity team in pick me up games (and this was Texas/they were state champs). They did not like that..

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Well thats a vote for STPs

SJs struggle with being a "gunslinger". They fail to step up to the plate and just "gun it" down the field. The SJ QBs generally either go to their first read, or to their check down reciever (they dont go through the progressions of looking at their different receivers). They can't handle when the play goes differently than planned.

Examples: Ryan Leaf (ESTJ), Jason Campbell (ISFJ), Kerry Collins (ISTJ). These QBs either flop, or have marginal success when allowed to stare all damn day at their first target (and wait for him to get open).

This sounds more likely than the typing they had on the site. Ryan Leaf doesn't strike me as ENxP at all. Funny how SJ way of playing isn't that efficent at the QB position. This listing seems to be hitting on some interesting subjects, where did you get it from?