• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Big C

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is anybody else watching this? Kind of a depressing concept (main character has untreatable cancer and about a year to live but can't bring herself to tell anyone in her life) but it's so good. I lost my shiz tonight when (spoiler below if you plan to watch but haven't yet)

she told her brother, and he completely broke down. Then she panicked and said she was pranking him (earlier in the episode he had pranked her by saying their father molested him) and he was impressed at her pranking prowess. The moment they started to have together just dissolved into thin air. So heartbreaking.

Usehername

On a mission
Haven't watched it, but I read about it in the NYT article on Laura Linney that had me pull the dictionary out. It looks good.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a friend dying of cancer. Should I recommend the show for her?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You'd be surprised! It's actually quite funny. The soul-crushing moments are pretty widely spaced. That's part of the charm IMO- you know everything she's doing is connected to her diagnosis and she does some funny shit, but then stuff like her trying to tell her brother happens and you remember that cancer's not actually that funny.

I don't know that I'd recommend it to someone who is actually dying of cancer, though. I don't believe I would have wanted to watch it when my mother was being treated, but having lived through that is part of what makes it interesting and meaningful to me.