• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The I hate f*cking football thread

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
NASCAR's right up there with professional wrestling in my book of "What Is Hell Like."

hey now.... dont go throwing Professional Wrestling in there ok? there are extremely sophisticated things going on in professional wrestling.....

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EarU--5cYOE]College Stats made Easy[/YOUTUBE]

its like.... auto-self-satiring..... so beautiful....

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think they must be beyond my womanly understanding.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
seriously, watch that clip. there exists LAYERS of sophistication to professional wrestling!

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I find it interesting. There is complexity to it and there are strategies and skills used. I don't watch it every time it's on like many people seem to do but I do find interest in it.

Edit: noz's clip is kind of funny. Seems very much like he is trying to just confuse the woman and watchers while discretely showing that he does actually understand the math.

Mole

Permabanned
Football is not a matter of life and death.

I played football at school and what I remember is the sheer physicality of it. Riding a bike has its own physicality. Swimming has its own physicality. Even playing tennis has its own unique feel. And so football is something I feel with my body.

There is of course learning to express aggression without taking it personally. And I notice that women who have never played football, tend to take aggression personally.

Of course football is repetitive and mindless, and it is the repetition that induces the football trance. And the trance is even more powerful for being a group trance. But when the stands are full and the fans are screaming for blood, the trance reaches metaphysical proportions.

The Grand Final reaches the level of Ancient Greek Theatre until catharsis takes us out of ourselves and into the ineffable Tragedy and Triumph of the Gods.

Football is not a matter of life and death, it is more important than that.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I feel the same way about auto racing, especially NASCAR which is immensely popular where I come from. It's just cars driving around in a loop, for hours. Where is the fun in that?

Maybe my intense dislike of NASCAR will regain some of my lost INTP street cred. :alttongue:

Oh yeah. Don't get it. It's not a physical sport to me. It's more of a diversion like bowling or darts. It does have amusing fans, maybe that's the draw for people who go to Nascar events.

Football - I like. Not nearly as much as hockey and baseball though. I'm from a city with a loooooong professional sports tradition and a state with just as much on the university/college level. Once I learned more of the rules, plays and strategy of football, the more I liked it. Of course my husband loves football and since he knows I love sports in general we always watch. I find it odd when men don't follow sports. That's a personal thing of mine, I'm sure my heavy sports upbringing has something to do with it. My husband doesn't love hockey the way I do but he has a great understanding of the game. I fill in the blanks for hockey the way he does for me with football. It's great, what's not to love?

Usehername

On a mission
Oh yeah. Don't get it. It's not a physical sport to me. It's more of a diversion like bowling or darts. It does have amusing fans, maybe that's the draw for people who go to Nascar events.

Football - I like. Not nearly as much as hockey and baseball though. I'm from a city with a loooooong professional sports tradition and a state with just as much on the university/college level. Once I learned more of the rules, plays and strategy of football, the more I liked it. Of course my husband loves football and since he knows I love sports in general we always watch. I find it odd when men don't follow sports. That's a personal thing of mine, I'm sure my heavy sports upbringing has something to do with it. My husband doesn't love hockey the way I do but he has a great understanding of the game. I fill in the blanks for hockey the way he does for me with football. It's great, what's not to love?

But it's watching other people exercise. I don't get it. Well, I get it if the observers are themselves extremely proficient at the game, but not people who only watch and are removed from the experience on teh ice/court. Why don't people play the game themselves instead?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But it's watching other people exercise. I don't get it. Well, I get it if the observers are themselves extremely proficient at the game, but not people who only watch and are removed from the experience on teh ice/court. Why don't people play the game themselves instead?

I don't know but I have that same type of view. I know I say...have you ever strapped on a pair of skates and played yourself when people start. I played from the time I could skate until I was 16, my husband played football until he went to college (I don't know that he could have made Ohio State's roster). When I moved from the east side of Michigan, where hockey has a rabid following, to the west side, I didn't imagine a difference. Boy, was I wrong. They follow football here on a level I've only seen in Texas.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ironically I don't like football, but I like movies about football. I think the real thing is too repetitive for me.

Mole

Permabanned
Public Theatre and Ecstasy

When we watch any physical activity, we mirror it to ourselves. So it is almost as though we ourselves were surfing, playing tennis or football.

One way to learn a sport is to watch a good sportsman, and our central nervous system will start to mimic them.

It is akin to imagining an activity. For the more we imagine an action, the more proficient we become.

But we learn nothing without context, and the wider the context, and the more supporters we share it with, the more we learn. And although you laugh to yourself out of your pretty mouth, it is the metaphysical context that gives football its greatest heft.

Whether it is Ancient Greek Theatre, or the Colosseum, the great Amphitheatre of Ancient Rome, or the great football Stadiums of today, they speak to our awe and our need to leave the quotidian day and loose ourselves in the Great Ecstasy of football and public theatre, to purge the mundane from our lives so to return relaxed and refreshed to the daily work of the Republic.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do not like sports in general! Huzzah!

Football is especially irritating. It's one of those games that takes an hour (four 15-minute quarters) to play but three to four hours to watch. When you are watching something that is 66-75% filler, and which you and your friends could theoretically go do yourself, you are officially wasting your time.

Also, I don't understand people getting worked up about football. Politics, fine, what happens politically matters (at least in theory). Literature, film, and music fall under the broader category of art, an integral part of humanity and human expression. But getting upset/defensive about one team, which you probably like not because of some real choice or thought process, but because by chance you were born or live near a certain city? About a self-contained season that in no way effects subsequent human events, imparts no lessons, has no logically reason to make you feel any genuine emotion and can be safely forgotten as soon as it concludes? DO NOT GET.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Football is good in all forms. I'm guessing you aren't talking about the Australian type, because it is sacrilege to say you hate it, especially this week! Trinity would enter the thread and kill you!

I don't mind American Football. I don't know a lot about it, but I saw a documentary on the Pittsburgh Steelers from the mid-seventies which was pretty entertaining. I loved the complete ruthlessness of the defenders and how they were jumping over people to just get a hand on the quarter back. The teamwork was awesome. They called them the "Steel Curtain" I think.

And the soccer is great. It's the most popular sport in so many countries that to hate it is to be disconnected from the love of a large percentage of the world.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hate football. I don't say it out loud since I'm in Texas, but those motherf___er gets paid way too much money.

F

figsfiggyfigs

my bestfriend would kill me if he knew I was posting in here. lol

I HATE FOOTBALL... the American kind. yes yes. I hate it.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I guess it's time to add football to the list of things it's socially acceptable to bash despite being completely uninformed. Religion, you have company.
People bash things they don't understand all the time. This is nothing new. This thread really belongs in a different sub-forum, though. This isn't about football, it's about their philosophical distaste for the sport.

rav3n

Do not almost fall asleep while watching a playoff game with your partner's hyper-football fan family.

In play can be fun and exciting. Delays and setup time are teh boring.

Mole

Permabanned
Ducklings

I HATE FOOTBALL... the American kind. yes yes. I hate it.

Football is like religion. It serves the same purpose in society. And if you haven't been inducted, it makes no sense. For instance, I was inducted into Rugby Union as half-back, and I know that 'Union' is the game they play in heaven.

It's a bit like Mac and PC. Mac is catholic and PC is protestant. So they play Rugby Union in heaven and use Macintoshes.

But it's worse, football is like your mother. Like ducklings, we all imprint on our mother. And no matter how boring she is, no matter how unfaithful, no matter how drunken or drug addicted, no matter how violent and criminal, we always remain imprinted.

Yes, we are all ducklings as far as football, religion, computers and mothers are concerned.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh can anyone tell me why you call Baseball the World Series, when no one outside of North America gives a shit?

Because we welcome any team in the world to come and play against our best team and get a royal beat down.

Seriously though, I've wondered the same thing since I was a young lad.

Mole

Permabanned
Because we welcome any team in the world to come and play against our best team and get a royal beat down.

Seriously though, I've wondered the same thing since I was a young lad.

The answer is that the World Series is named after a newspaper called, "The World".