• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The I hate f*cking football thread

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends if you by football mean "soccer" (that we over here call football) or American Football.
Well, I don't like either and I think team sports people and people who watch it on TV are freaking lame.

Yes, let's go torch them. Better yet if I could get a hold on an MG-42 from World War 2.
Then i'll teach those illiterates some history at the same time. With lead. Bastads :D

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's really easy for indifference to turn into hate when people inflate a game to be more than what it really is.
That makes sense. I don't personally begrudge anyone who doesn't like football or any other sport. Preferences are what make us unique.

It makes even less sense when it's a game that people are watching and not playing.
For hardcore fans it goes beyond just "watching," and that's what most non-fans fail to understand. For me at least, it's an interactive experience. I find the strategic elements of the game, from play-calling to formation schemes to player motivation, etc. to be fascinating. It provides massive amounts of speculative fodder for my Ti due to its inherent complexity. The possible outcomes of a given season, game, or even an individual play sometimes seem endless. I'm also a stat junkie, and football is rife with percentages, probabilities and comparisons.

As an aside, it's basically the only thing my ISTP dad and I can discuss/speculate upon/reminisce about for hours on end. If it weren't for sports, he and I would barely communicate because we have no other interests in common.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
i just dont get the emotional involvement with it, or for that matter any other sport (re: observing professional sports, not refering to playing them here). the outcome determines absolutely nothing of relevance in the real world, save for the gamblers... and the vendors in city X or whatever. not the economic outcome of a team being present somewhere, i mean the outcomes of the GAMES... what really matters at the end? whats different in the world if, say, the Packers beat the 49ers? As far as I can tell.... outside of "mere human verbal behaviors", absolutely NOTHING. Zilch.

that's what i really want to know - how can i get emotionally involved in something so .....superfluous?

I could study the stats and of it all again (i used to watch baseball and basketball bc i was tracking my card investments! if you want a Shaq rookie card, im the guy to talk to), but it would have to be for money - profiting off of stupid fans not capable of making an accurate assessment.

outside of that prospect - making money - whats the relevance of the outcome of the football game? someone help me with that one.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I went to the University of Florida. So did my dad. So did his.

Ever since I can remember my Dad took me to Gator Football games.

This is something I have got to share with my Dad and Granddad since early childhood.

Excuse me for being attached to it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get there are definite reasons for people to enjoy and put lots of effort into anything really, despite actual usefulness. What pisses me of is that supposedly I'm the strange one for not caring.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i just dont get the emotional involvement with it, or for that matter any other sport (re: observing professional sports, not refering to playing them here). the outcome determines absolutely nothing of relevance in the real world, save for the gamblers... and the vendors in city X or whatever. not the economic outcome of a team being present somewhere, i mean the outcomes of the GAMES... what really matters at the end? whats different in the world if, say, the Packers beat the 49ers? As far as I can tell.... outside of "mere human verbal behaviors", absolutely NOTHING. Zilch.

that's what i really want to know - how can i get emotionally involved in something so .....superfluous?

I could study the stats and of it all again (i used to watch baseball and basketball bc i was tracking my card investments! if you want a Shaq rookie card, im the guy to talk to), but it would have to be for money - profiting off of stupid fans not capable of making an accurate assessment.

outside of that prospect - making money - whats the relevance of the outcome of the football game? someone help me with that one.

I can't explain the emotional involvement. It's something you either get, or you don't. I think it's hard to explain the derivation of passionate emotion from any hobby or interest. Maybe as DiscoBiscuit said, a lot of it has to do with early childhood influence. Although, my dad also tried to get me into golf throughout my childhood, and to this day I still have no interest in it.

Incidentally I've watched thousands of sporting events in my life and never placed money on a single one. Using sports as a vehicle for gambling would ruin the fun for me, rather than make it more fun/exciting.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I get there are definite reasons for people to enjoy and put lots of effort into anything really, despite actual usefulness. What pisses me of is that supposedly I'm the strange one for not caring.
You sound like me describing my complete lack of interest in religion, despite growing up in the Bible Belt. :D

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The game itself is pretty fun to play. Just boring to watch (except maybe the big games + gambling bet) and when I see a sports fan who seems to be only able to talk about football or sports in general I feel pity for them. It is as if they have no life/no self esteem, nothing interesting to say or do...so they get an ego boost by affiliating themselves with a sports team.

Even more pitifully are female sports fans.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess it's time to add football to the list of things it's socially acceptable to bash despite being completely uninformed. Religion, you have company.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It's really easy for indifference to turn into hate when people inflate a game to be more than what it really is. It makes even less sense when it's a game that people are watching and not playing.

This. Though I do understand the guys-bonding-with-their-dads end of things.

What I hate more than anything is the NOISE of a football game on tv. It's what I imagine hell for me would sound like. It makes my brain hurt.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
well it would seem 9 out of 10 INTPs agree - football fans are mongoloids.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it's time to add football to the list of things it's socially acceptable to bash despite being completely uninformed. Religion, you have company.

I can't say if it's strange that you're lumping Religion and Football together as examples of victimized institutions, or totally appropriate.

EDIT: Wait, was that an INTJ joke?? I'm really confused right now.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I hate more than anything is the NOISE of a football game on tv. It's what I imagine hell for me would sound like. It makes my brain hurt.

Yes, GAWD. No good could possibly come of such a racket.

I have tried, really tried. But I just can't get with it. Besides the noise, I agree with Aquarelle. I said to my then-husband, "All they ever do is make two lines, run at each other, then fall down!" He thought that was hilarious. But that's all I see. Make two lines, run, fall down. It's stupid beyond stupid.

(Of course it isn't, it can't be, with all the people so into it. But that's how it seems to me -- demented, stupid, why???)

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
But that's all I see. Make two lines, run, fall down.

That's what makes it so manly - the militaristic, repetitive punishment of it all!

Ah, the pit at boot camp.... memories....

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's what makes it so manly - the militaristic, repetitive punishment of it all!

Ah, the pit at boot camp.... memories....

:shock:
It's goats running headfirst into each other. (Isn't it?) Surely men have more sense than billygoats.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The noise is one of the best parts... :devil:

In college football it's important for the fans to be loud so that the other team can't hear their snap count on offense.

Also since the players are still young, they are more apt to let the noise of the fans spook em.

Also the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium aka THE SWAMP (see picture):

benhill.jpg

is voted in the top 5 loudest stadiums in college sports (usually no. 2)....

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
(Of course it isn't, it can't be, with all the people so into it. But that's how it seems to me -- demented, stupid, why???)

I feel the same way about auto racing, especially NASCAR which is immensely popular where I come from. It's just cars driving around in a loop, for hours. Where is the fun in that?

Maybe my intense dislike of NASCAR will regain some of my lost INTP street cred. :alttongue:

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In college football it's important for the fans to be loud so that the other team can't hear their snap count on offense.
Indeed. If I'm not too hoarse to properly speak the next morning, then I haven't done my job.

Ben Hill Griffin Stadium aka THE SWAMP
Great pic. My team got a nice win there a couple years back. Made a certain Mr. Tebow cry...

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way about auto racing, especially NASCAR which is immensely popular where I come from. It's just cars driving around in a loop, for hours. Where is the fun in that?

Maybe my intense dislike of NASCAR will regain some of my lost INTP street cred. :alttongue:

NASCAR's right up there with professional wrestling in my book of "What Is Hell Like."