• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Idol

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Simon doesn't seem E to me, he seems I. He seems shy to me and kinda oblivious to how he seems publicly (e.g. feeling up his man boobs or gnawing on pens) when he's not publicly criticizing people. I was going to guess INTJ.
I didn't say he had good Fe. I said he's an ENTJ.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Jason Castro

Does anyone else think Jason's an ISFP?

What about Amanda - the biker/nurse - ISFJ?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, I think Jason's an ISFP.

As for Amanda - ISFJ seems really unlikely to me, given how she interacts on the show. I see little Fe with how she interacts with the judges or other contestants, or in her interviews, and she seems pretty distant/hard-edged (she doesn't even make the effort to utilize Fe). I guess I would have guessed INxx, and specifically INTx. My reason for thinking INTx is that I don't think she's a dominant Fi, which gets rid of INFP, and she lacks the Fe for INFJ.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram

I'm still having trouble remembering the contestants' names!

But obviously the nurse is hard to forget - I'd wager she's ISTP. Why? Here are my clues:

- rides a motorcycle. not just that but a Harley... clearly a connoisseur of sensation.
- nursing is a hands-on helping profession. but she doesn't come across as warm and cuddly.
- presents as strong silent type. under stress, prefers to show no emotion in her face.
- prefers earthy, sensory-type tunes and delivery.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Jason is the guy in dreads who often does acoustic guitar stuff.

Amanda is the rocker chick with platinum streaks in her black hair.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

But obviously the nurse is hard to forget - I'd wager she's ISTP. Why? Here are my clues:

- rides a motorcycle. not just that but a Harley... clearly a connoisseur of sensation.
- nursing is a hands-on helping profession. but she doesn't come across as warm and cuddly.
- presents as strong silent type. under stress, prefers to show no emotion in her face.
- prefers earthy, sensory-type tunes and delivery.
Hmm.
That's interesting.
Would you be willing to watch her interview video and let's talk about it some more?

American Idol - Videos - Introducing Amanda

Amanda Overmyer - Top 24 Contestants - American Idol

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Jason is the guy in dreads who often does acoustic guitar stuff.

Oh, he's one of my favorites. He doesn't seem to have much strength to his voice, but he's got that organic quality I like. Kinda like Sufjan Stevens or Sam Beam of Iron and Wine. Both are successful *soft-spoken* vocalists. Here's hoping Jason makes it just the way he is.

As to his type, I'd guess I*FP. His reticence with interviews could be attributed to Sensing (actions speak louder than words) or Intuition (tongue-tied under stress, or feels pressure to fit "square", non-linear thought processing peg into a "round", linear Q&A hole). Maybe we'll get more evidence either way as the weeks go on.

Back to soft-spoken singers... here're videos of both Iron and Wine: YouTube - Naked As We Came - Iron and Wine

and Sufjan Stevens: YouTube - Holland

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And a connoisseur of quality.
Serving people is very S, but I would say she is more SJ than SP.
Definitely. A T thing, I think.
- prefers earthy, sensory-type tunes and delivery
That could be just what she's limited to because of her range.

Would you be willing to watch her interview video and maybe read her interview, and let's talk about it some more?

American Idol - Videos - Introducing Amanda

Amanda Overmyer - Top 24 Contestants - American Idol

While watching the video
I started thinking xxTJ after the first minute.
I started to wonder if she's an INTJ.
Then she said, "unrealistic". That's not a word INTJs use, as far as I know.
She's been doing the responsible thing - education, mortgage, etc.
INTJs tend to avoid responsibility.
Also, a couple of weeks ago she said she loves to reads biographies.

"What has been your favorite "Idol" moment in the past six seasons?
The only one that stands out in my mind is the recent Asian guy that wrote the "Brothers" song and Simon hugged him while Paula signed."

That is a weird answer.
This is what she's referring to:
YouTube - i am your brother-american idol
He was the contestant who wouldn't stop singing.
(I picked a short clip, but there are some longer ones.)
I guess she remembers it because it's hilarious, but that's a really short term memory, as well.

She's just not relaxed enough to be an SP.
I think she might be an ISTJ.

I haven't known enough ISFJ females to know if she is one of them,
but because she reads biographies, and I usually think of that as an F thing, I was thinking ISFJ.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, he's one of my favorites. He doesn't seem to have much strength to his voice, but he's got that organic quality I like. Kinda like Sufjan Stevens or Sam Beam of Iron and Wine. Both are successful *soft-spoken* vocalists. Here's hoping Jason makes it just the way he is.

As to his type, I'd guess I*FP. His reticence with interviews could be attributed to Sensing (actions speak louder than words) or Intuition (tongue-tied under stress, or feels pressure to fit "square", non-linear thought processing peg into a "round", linear Q&A hole). Maybe we'll get more evidence either way as the weeks go on.

Back to soft-spoken singers... here're videos of both Iron and Wine: YouTube - Naked As We Came - Iron and Wine

and Sufjan Stevens: YouTube - Holland
I like Jason a lot. He's definitely got a career ahead of him.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Would you be willing to watch her interview video and let's talk about it some more?

Yes but I need some time to do so. It's a slow site and it stalled on me once already.

I'm not wedded to ISTP - it's just my guess based on what I've seen so far.

Later...

Okay, I watched American Idol - Videos - Introducing Amanda and these are the things that stuck out to me:

- "cooking"
- "football"
- "unrealistic"
- "medical equipment sales"
- "business management"

Also she said she likes "Daughtry", whom I'd never heard of. So I watched his video and heard him say he is a service manager at an auto dealership. He also has the same matter-of-fact delivery as Amanda.

My guess is, they are both STs.

In her interview, Amanda strikes me as more E than I. She emphasized that while her degree is in nursing (helping) she's actually doing sales (enterprising) and enjoys it.

So my revised guess is: ESTP. This might also explain her looks - the ESTPs I've known both personally and in the media (Madonna esp.) all seem to spend alot of time and energy on their looks and grooming. Which is not necessarily a J thing.

She seems to like speed, sensation, and sensuality (cooking, singing, riding a harley) - this seems very SP to me.

She's matter-of-fact and business-minded - this seems ST.

If she doesn't seem relaxed, that could be I at play. ISTPs sometimes seem like they are "on the spot" when questioned.

Or maybe at 23 she's trying to appear more feminine than she is for this mainstream program, so she is self-censoring what she says because she doesn't want to come across as too hard or crass.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
This may be a stupid question, but why wouldn't an INTJ use the word "unrealistic?" Not being sarcastic or anything, just genuinely curious. Also, why are biographies more an F thing? B/c they deal with people? I'd disagree there--I'm pretty hardcore NT, and I have always liked to read them, b/c it kind of helps you "study" someone from the inside out...almost like solving the mystery of what made them successful or interesting or whatever.

I'm not sure what type Amanda is, either, but she does seem ST. She's kind of fascinating to me, but I'm not sure I'd get along with her well IRL. She seems too grounded in the sensory world for me to have much in common with her. Having said that, she and Brooke are my favorites of the girls.

Jason seems IxFx. I can't tell yet whether he's an intuitive or a sensor. He does kind of have a dreamy quality, and he hates having to do the practical, business-end stuff, like the interviews. He'd rather just present himself and his music for what they are.

We seem to have a handful of very F guys this season, which is kind of unusual.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This may be a stupid question, but why wouldn't an INTJ use the word "unrealistic?" Not being sarcastic or anything, just genuinely curious. Also, why are biographies more an F thing? B/c they deal with people? I'd disagree there--I'm pretty hardcore NT, and I have always liked to read them, b/c it kind of helps you "study" someone from the inside out...almost like solving the mystery of what made them successful or interesting or whatever.

I'm not sure what type Amanda is, either, but she does seem ST. She's kind of fascinating to me, but I'm not sure I'd get along with her well IRL. She seems too grounded in the sensory world for me to have much in common with her. Having said that, she and Brooke are my favorites of the girls.

Jason seems IxFx. I can't tell yet whether he's an intuitive or a sensor. He does kind of have a dreamy quality, and he hates having to do the practical, business-end stuff, like the interviews. He'd rather just present himself and his music for what they are.

We seem to have a handful of very F guys this season, which is kind of unusual.
Well, I used to never worry about whether something was unrealistic or not. It's only after 25 years of marriage to an ISTP and being told over and over again that my ideas are unrealistic that I even worry about stuff like that now. Before I turned 40, my ideas, hopes and dreams, were all about the ideal. I didn't used to care if someone told me my ideas were unrealistic. To myself, I would just think, "Well, you're wrong!" I'm just saying, for the first 40 years of my life, my dreams and plans had no real basis in reality. She seems too realistic to be idealistic.

You're probably right about the biographies.

Also, I don't think it was biographies she was reading. I remember she was reading a book about the music business. She said twice that she values intelligence. She reminds me of my ISTJ mother.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes but I need some time to do so. It's a slow site and it stalled on me once already.

I'm not wedded to ISTP - it's just my guess based on what I've seen so far.

Later...

Okay, I watched American Idol - Videos - Introducing Amanda and these are the things that stuck out to me:

- "cooking"
- "football"
- "unrealistic"
- "medical equipment sales"
- "business management"

Also she said she likes "Daughtry", whom I'd never heard of. So I watched his video and heard him say he is a service manager at an auto dealership. He also has the same matter-of-fact delivery as Amanda.

My guess is, they are both STs.

In her interview, Amanda strikes me as more E than I. She emphasized that while her degree is in nursing (helping) she's actually doing sales (enterprising) and enjoys it.

So my revised guess is: ESTP. This might also explain her looks - the ESTPs I've known both personally and in the media (Madonna esp.) all seem to spend alot of time and energy on their looks and grooming. Which is not necessarily a J thing.

She seems to like speed, sensation, and sensuality (cooking, singing, riding a harley) - this seems very SP to me.

She's matter-of-fact and business-minded - this seems ST.

If she doesn't seem relaxed, that could be I at play. ISTPs sometimes seem like they are "on the spot" when questioned.

Or maybe at 23 she's trying to appear more feminine than she is for this mainstream program, so she is self-censoring what she says because she doesn't want to come across as too hard or crass.
SP types are supposed to be fun-loving and flexible.
Amanda is intense and serious.

I think she's an ISTJ.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
ISTPs can present as intense and serious. I have a brother who's ISTP and believe me, he's intense and serious. I have another brother who is ISTJ and he's also intense and serious. So I'm not sure if the J-P scale is correlated to intensity and seriousness.

Last edited:

OK Radio

MBTI Type
intj
This may be a stupid question, but why wouldn't an INTJ use the word "unrealistic?"

The only word an INTJ wouldn't use is "Extreme!" when asked to describe his enthusiasm upon entering a televised dance contest.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Chikezie and Brooke were the standouts tonight, and I liked Amanda's performance, but agree with Simon that she needs to enunciate more.

Could there be ANYTHING WORSE than Christy Lee's crappy country version of "Eight Days a Week?" Woof.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Its still on here so I'm not reading... just confessing to purge my soul. I'm in love with Jason Castro... yes, that makes me a dirty ole woman.

Simon is cracking me up! He's sooooo T... probably of the NJ type.

Edit... I can see Night's post and ooops. lol