• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blink 182

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not during the time Blink 182 was around competing with them. They were writing about pot, girls and masturbation then...with much better hooks and a far more obvious penchant for songwriting, I might add.

Well ok :)

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
That's what everyone says about every record that isn't the band's first. People can grow; "different from our first record" =/= "bad"

I prefer the older stuff butm I love the new too. I'm just weird like that. Nimrod was good. Kerplunk!'s my favorite.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me too, I like them.
They kinda give a vibe of "average fun" I'm not very familiar with, I mean the "let's go to the beach and enjoy life" - kind of way.

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I hear a Blink 182 song for the first few times, I generally like it. But by the tenth time I hear it, I want to rip my radio out of the dashboard. I don't know if that means I like them or not :confused:

Green Day is in the same boat, Dookie and Insomniac were good albums then they went to shit.

I thought Dookie and Insomniac were good albums, but I don't know if I've ever heard a band make a mid-career leap in quality and creativity like the one Green Day did when they put out American Idiot. It was off the charts, and completely unexpected. I've been sitting here thinking about it for five minutes, and the only other example I can come up with is Faith No More with Angel Dust. And even that's not close.

That's what everyone says about every record that isn't the band's first. People can grow; "different from our first record" =/= "bad"

+1. It especially happens in hard rock or punk, where bands are expected to make the same album over and over again or else they "sold out". Metallica is a particularly unfortunate example.

kryten5786

MBTI Type
infj
i like them, they came out big on "TRL" in 99/2000 when i was just starting high school. i still like them, mostly for nostalgic reasons tho.. im sure i'll bring out this music for my kids someday.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1. It especially happens in hard rock or punk, where bands are expected to make the same album over and over again or else they "sold out". Metallica is a particularly unfortunate example.

Amen. Why is it such a cardinal sin to like anything post-Master of Puppets? (BUT CLIFF BURTON OMFG DURRRR!!!!!!!!111111) :doh:

Pretentious metalheads are the absolute worst kind of fuckups.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Bands can grow and evolve, yes, but Green Day just straight up went garbage.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Me too, I like them.
They kinda give a vibe of "average fun" I'm not very familiar with, I mean the "let's go to the beach and enjoy life" - kind of way.

Definitely, they're like a straight up summer jam. To me Travis Barker puts the band on a whole new level though. He's made the band more respectable to me, because he's a talented drum fiend with some impressive chops.

I like them:).
Have you heard "Adam's Song"? It's depressing but good and not as "juvenile" as the others. "What's My Age Again?" a good song too.

I made this thread when I started listening to them, and since then, I've worn their albums out completely :D. Their singles (the ones that get played on the radio/MTV) are good, but my favorite tracks are not singles. "Enema of the State" is my favorite album of theirs and I think "Dumpweed", "Going Away To College" and "Wendy Clear" are my favorite tracks from the album.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bands can grow and evolve, yes, but Green Day just straight up went garbage.

Except they didn't. That was the whole point. :doh:

Armstrong took voice lessons, learned how to play something other than power chords and made a grammy-winning pop album that went way beyond their pop punk roots. I'm sure your nostalgic attachment to Dookie is really powerful and all, but if anything Green Day got a lot better.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I think they veered away from what was excitable about them at the beginning. Did they become more experienced, skillful and mature musically? Sure. Now they're just a mediocre radio-rock band that whines a lot. I'd much rather listen to... Well, anything else almost.

My 2 cents.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was a Blink fan back in the day.. [nearly a decade ago? hell.. I feel old..] I suppose it's a weird/guilty/nostalgic pleasure. Cheshire Cat & Dude Ranch were my favorite albums.. Carousel was the first song I'd ever heard by them. I loved the opening riffs..

I'd thought Enema of The State was a 'fun' album, but I hadn't liked it as much. Their live album, The Mark, Tom & Travis Show, was great. Beyond that, I had no interest.

They were the first band I'd ever gone to see live.. I was 15.. what an odd day that was.
Went with one of my closest friends, this cynical IxTP guy.. Bodyjar & New Found Glory opened.
As NFG was finishing up, etc, the energy in the crowd was at its highest. IxTP & I were pushed together.. sort of squashed face to face.

Just as Blink hopped onstage and struck out their first chord, he leaned in and kissed me.

..and just as we parted, and I stood there for less than half a moment, dazed, everyone around us going insane.. a crowd surfer fell on me

My sneaker was trampled off in a dense forest of frenzied legs and feet. I never found it. I had a footprint on my face and couldn't stop laughing about it..
The IxTP offered me one of his shoes, but I politely declined.

[The show itself rocked, of course.]

The whole scene was just, ridiculous.. in every sense of the word. Like something out of a bad teen summer blockbuster.

That, and the nostalgic, drunken scream-alongs to Blink 182 that were either held in my home, or wandering around downtown in the middle of the night with some of my closest friends a few yrs back, are what I tend to associate with this band.

..Seems fairly approprate.. the chaotic, absurd, wonderfully intense mess of adolescence that leaves us reeling. :rolleyes:

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think they veered away from what was excitable about them at the beginning. Did they become more experienced, skillful and mature musically? Sure. Now they're just a mediocre radio-rock band that whines a lot. I'd much rather listen to... Well, anything else almost.

My 2 cents.

This. I don't care that they changed their sound. I just happen to think what they changed it to blows, and I think many of their detractors would agree on those grounds as opposed to the simple fact that they changed. Doesn't mean we aren't all entitled to our opinions on what's good and what isn't.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to really like Dammit (growing up) because it's extremely catchy. I think that this is their best song and video: YouTube - blink-182 - I Miss You

I'm not a huge fan, though. It's not really my kind of music but truthfully my taste in music is so ecclectic that I probably can't say that anything is my "type" of music, I just know what I like and what I hate.