• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Skateboards?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I need something with wheels to get to class faster on. A bike is out of the question, and with rollerblades you have to take them on and off when entering buildings, which is a pain and would quickly become more of a pain with winter approaching.

This is why I want to try a skateboard -- I've seen some people around campus using them so I thought I should give it a try. I know my brother had one so I'm going to try to get it shipped to me at college from home. It's got wheels, doesn't need to be taken on/off, and I wouldn't need to constantly be finding open bike racks for it. However, there are three problems.

1. My brother's old skateboard is about ten years old, but was lightly used. Are there any particular problems I should look at on it before trying it out?

2. Say my brother's doesn't work out. Considering I'm just using it to get to class, would the cheap $20 ones at Target work or would that not be a good idea?

3. I'm kind of uncoordinated. Any advice on how not to kill myself?

Any other help would be great too.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
If you're going to be using a skateboard for travel, get a longboard. If you are trying to skateboard, you're going to fall on your ass a lot until you adapt to standing on a piece of wood with wheels on it. Nice longboards aren't THAT expensive, and probably will be much better than anything you can find at Target.

[YOUTUBE="9rXwBmGyMRo"]Go Longboard[/YOUTUBE]

KDude

Some of the ones at target or something aren't bad for what you need. I'm not sure why, but they usually have dry bearings though (the little steel ring you see in the middle of wheels). If you find that the board rolls kind of sticky, get some WD-40 and spray the bearings.

Lark

I loved skateboarding when I was younger, first it became popular because of a comic strip in Eagle comics, then made loads of links to movies, for instance Back To The Future but there's never really been any skating scene or parks here in NI.

I saw a bunch of kids the other day who where doing some down hill skating who where riding larger boards, you lay down on these and went head first, they looked a bit like something from a bit of that movie yes man.

There where a whole bunch of awesome games involving skating too, Skate or Die for instance, awesome.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I don't know if skateboard is the best solution if you're not coordinated/balanced - there's no way around improving your balance and coordination if you want to use it. Also skateboards, from what I know of skateboarders, are the sure fire fastest way to royally fuck up your knees. I would recommend a longboard as well, given your circumstances. They might be easier to use.

KDude

Nah. I'm 33, and my knees are fine. I still keep a skateboard in the trunk of my car. Although I definitely agree about coordination.

You want to know what's worse than knee problems? I'm missing my 4 front teeth :tongue:

*Probably just scared Haphazard.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
^ Ha. Well that's what happens when you play truth or dare with the protagonist from Oldboy.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Im learning (slowly) how to skateboard as well. It's definitely not a fast solution to what you're wanting, because if you're not coordinated (like myself) it takes time to get used to it, and falling is very easy to do. (For example, every stupid little crack in the sidewalks? Yeeahh... your wheels slip into those when you don't go fast enough.. and when you're new, you don't wanna go that fast so you don't fall, so.. you end up falling anyways. :doh:)

Something that would probably be just as inexpensive as a good skateboard, infinitely less cool, but WAY easier to learn would be one of those scooter things.

micro_scooter_bullet_1.jpg

Same concept, wheels, and you don't have to be as coordinated thanks to the handle. You won't look very cool on it, though.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I actually might've recommended a segway... but then I realized that you probably DON'T want to look like a lazy entitled asshole.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm.

I was cordinated enough to use roller skates/roller blades when I was younger but bikes were just far too difficult for me. It might be less balance and more distance from the ground. Also, the fact that the sidewalks around my house are royally fucked up might have something to do with it.

The only reason why I said skateboard was because I know we have one. I think if it weren't an issue of buying them and taking them off all the time, I'd pick rollerblades.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I saw a bunch of kids the other day who where doing some down hill skating who where riding larger boards, you lay down on these and went head first, they looked a bit like something from a bit of that movie yes man.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm skeleton-ing to class.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
A scooter is not a bad idea, actually. The only problem is, would I have to put it on a bike rack or could I take it into class?