• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Testing 5-boxing on World of Warcraft again!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This time I made characters named Assurbanibal, Esarhaddon, Salmanasar, Nabopolassar and Belzhassar. They're allied shaman, paladin, priest, druid and mage, in that order :)

Omg I'm afraid the game is gonna take me away .. must .. resist.. addiction..

Edit: and don't you think they're the coolest names out there? yes? why yes..

Permabanned
"OMG! Here hold my hand! *hands over random zombie limb* Hold tight and do not let go" *walks away* :coffee:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh man, how I sometimes still miss being a multiboxer. I quit multiboxing and WoW alltogether because it just took too much of my time in order to compete on the servers both PvP and PvE. And the competition was what drove me to play in the first place.

Although I played a few teams on and off, my favorite and main box team was a quad shaman box because that works well in all areas of the game. 5, 10 or 25 man instances, normal or heroic doesn't matter. All battlegrounds, 5v5 arena, etc. Potential to do well everywhere. Very all round team.

I miss them. :(

If you need some info I could always supply. :D

I created a pretty good functioning no-leader (able to switch between characters instantly without needing to use any keys whatsoever) keyclone system that was also suitable for vehicles and flying mounts with skills such as the ones in occulus or malygos etc.

Although I am not sure how much has changed since, but back in the day dual-boxing.com was a great source of information.

Highest rating on 5v5 was 2115. Although that was in the previous expansion. In WotLK I didn't PvP that much and only got into the 1800's, but never aquired a full set of pvp gear for them to compete on higher ratings.

I was also the first boxer to do occulus heroic, malygos 10 man and clear 10 man naxx without anyone in the team dying getting the "undying" title. :D

I quit a week after getting that title. >.>

Boxing is soooo much fun. Enjoy it while you have the time to do so. :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That's awesome performance there! One guy of mine was banned from the game because of some credit card problem, so I had to quit when my toons were 55. I never got the experience from Arena. I didn't quite know how to make good pvp macros, so I wouldn't have done well, though.

Some BG's were awesome, though. 5 shamans could pretty much protect themselves in BG's like AV, AB.. I had poor movement though, so re-taking some resources in AB often ended up with some of my toons dieing. I experimented with multiple leading systems - tried single leader, dual leader, multi leader systems.. dual leader was the best compromise, although very cumbersome.

Some new ideas I'm using seem to work fine this time. I use just single leader control system now for PvE, and I haven't thought any further yet. I have the rest of my party follow the leader. I got keyclone on a good computer where I can easily run all the 5 game instances at the same time.

I'm using better spellsequences now for pulling and main dps. I'm really survivable because of 4 healers, and all of them can mix attack/healing spells efficiently as required. Next I guess I'll configure a good snare/root/other cc rotation.

I just have trouble that I can't handle any member to effectively use more than 2 targets at a time; 2 enemies, or an enemy and a partymember. I need them to remember a partymember for efficient heal rotation. That means that a member can't remember a dps target, a cc target and a healtarget at the same time. That's essentially a real problem for druid only, but it's still something. My mage doesn't heal, so he can polymorph and blast to 2 different targets.

So, I'm still studying to find the most effective target system. Perhaps I won't use off-healers so much when I level my toons, so I can dedicate one member for healing. I'm not sure though; the shared rotating healing does just miracles.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A leaderless set up is nice in PvE, if your tank dies, but usually in PvE if the tank dies it's a wipe no matter what, unless the boss is near death when it happens. So basicly, in PvE you just need to keep the tank alive and that way, an FTL no leader set up wouldn't really be neccesary anyway. But if you go PvP, an FTL (leaderless) set up is a must really. Although for leveling and instances, an FTL does give more freedom and is still more fun to play imo. :)

Oh, here's an earlier version of my FTL set up, the last set up I had was a more polished set up though.

Kaynin's advanced FTL set up with more! [quad shaman] - Dual-Boxing.com Forums

It has really good targeting systems, but it's specifically written for the FTL set up though. But if you understand the macro's I have there you should be able to write macro's for yourself for any set up using proper targeting systems.

In short, the FTL system changes the keybinds of your keyboard based on the window instance you have open. And you do not require ingame targeting macro's then to assign leaders/followers. And just swapping the window immidiatly sets that character as 'leader' without any extra action.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
note: Don't forget to check the main FTL thread that I also linked in my post on that forum, because you will need to read that thread if you are to understand how the keyclone mapping thing works. :D

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I read what you have, but the link to the FTL thread didn't work. I found some FTL thread though.

Uhh, and I tried a few setups. I must say I'm a bit disappointed over the 5 shaman performance in instances. They got the versatility all right, but I'll trade a bit of specialization for that any day. Healing with blasters? Why? I would only do that if the healings were instaspells, and the shamans dont have any.

Shaman is the best leveling tank I've come across with. Since they don't need the greatest damage mitigation, they can do extremely well with their superbly aggro generating shocks. I've really never had as easy time leveling with a player controlled tank as I've had with the shaman. I'm just sad his time will be over in endgame. But then, perhaps I could level 0-60 with shaman, make a lvl 60 paladin with RaF bonus levels, and continue from there.

I must say, I've never ever had as easy, fun, thrilling time in WoW as with my 5 hunters. I can not imagine anything can be just that easy. Clearing instances was almost automatic. It was mind-boggling.

Yet, it was limited at times; couldn't heal other ranger's pets, so there was often a hassle with a pet dieing and such, when I tried the higher instances (as compared to my level).

The ranger experience was awesome. It really made me desire just one thing; and extremely capable healer and/or tank in one person. Other 4 would have remained rangers. I could use this kind of setup to have the 4 rangers shoot from a safe distance, stationary, while my healertank was running. I would heal the pets, and draw some aggro to myself when needed. Perhaps paladin would be the best choice for this kind of position? (Oh, this would be PvE setup.)

I played that team I mentioned in OP. I really loved it's efficiency and capability in everything. The priest and the druid could throw insta HoT while blasting, and their weak heals were almost always more than enough. I used a seemingly odd combination of Shaman tanking and Paladin healing. I just found that at the early levels, Shaman could much more easily maintain aggro. I'm sure it will somewhat change at a later time, but that was the situation early. It's easy to switch roles of course.

With all the fun experimenting, studying the possibilities with the FTL setup, too, I find that I can't probably play. Nice experiment and all, but.. I have only few days time to play, and then I can't play again for several months. I just don't have the time. I have sinusitis at this time, and time to spend at home. Not so in the near future.

I'm quite sure that the FTL setup will be the one I want to do in the future, when time allows. I'm sure it would make many new setups viable. I'm sure it could solve some of the problems I've had in PvP. It just seems very cool concept.

Oh, so what more?

Some observations.

Ranger doesn't fit in with a team where I allow mobs to close proximity with my blasters. It would make too much trouble to control ranger separately from rest of the team so he could maintain the 5-yard separation from the target.

Instant HoT (Heal on time) spells from primary casters are invaluable. They really can turn the chances in an encounter.

Buh. There's more. I think that does it for the time, though.

Oh, and I found the class quests the most annoying things to do. They are very small part of the game, though, so it isn't enough of a reason to keep me from cherry-picking the best possible class combo for my teams.

One thing I want to say of my 10 lvl team performance. They could kill a lvl 20 elite while in lvl 1 equipment.

I think that combo has a good future to it.

So, thanks for hints, I'll be experimenting more the next year when I might have more time on my hands!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hi! I revived my interest in wow multiboxing again. This time I set up a 2-graph card computer. I got very fine 5-boxing experience on my last setup, but it was laggy at moments with 80 player battlegrounds. This time I improved the responsiveness of the system significantly to make it faster and more real-time. It was slightly tricky to get the game windows assigned to the correct graph cards, but it could be done.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That must take a lot of internet and power up?

I've never multi boxed but WoW takes up way too much time to 'get anywhere in it', and it's almost always that way. I only started doing rbg trials before I decided to quit. Not worth it immo.....rpg.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi! I revived my interest in wow multiboxing again. This time I set up a 2-graph card computer. I got very fine 5-boxing experience on my last setup, but it was laggy at moments with 80 player battlegrounds. This time I improved the responsiveness of the system significantly to make it faster and more real-time. It was slightly tricky to get the game windows assigned to the correct graph cards, but it could be done.

Make sure to check out the new tool named ISBoxer, it is cheap, easy to use, safe, and quite powerful once you figure out how it works. (especially the fact as to how easy it is to set up and create new teams with) Not to mention its creator is always eager to help people out with problems on dual-boxing.com.

I had a period a few months ago where I started boxing a bit again, but I lost interest in the game alltogether now so stopped again. :p