• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Running/Injuries

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You can't run on pavement, period. You have to run on grass, otherwise you knees will suffer.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to have a lot of trouble with my knees feeling weak while running, however during vacation back in March I was walking around a *lot* and over the course of a week, I built up my legs a bit (muscle-wise especially, and maybe some bone growth happened too?) now my knees no longer hurt while running on pavement...

edit: plus I was getting a lot of sun, being in florida and all; if bone growth was involved then the sun will have facilitated it by producing vitamin D on my skin. (vitamin D forms a hormone that stimulates calcium absorption in the bones)

Now my problem is my achilles tendons... argh :(

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
You can't run on pavement, period. You have to run on grass, otherwise you knees will suffer.
A lot of that depends on your running style. The more weight you place on your toes, rather than your heel, the less stress you're putting on your knees/back/etc.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
A lot of that depends on your running style. The more weight you place on your toes, rather than your heel, the less stress you're putting on your knees/back/etc.

Yeah, you're right. Do you think though that most people tend to have an incorrect running style and so might be better off on grass? This has been my experience but the sampe is limited

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, you're right. Do you think though that most people tend to have an incorrect running style and so might be better off on grass? This has been my experience but the sampe is limited
Most people have horrible running styles, so this is probably true. If you were to concentrate on running correctly, you wouldn't notice much of a difference. Imagine how you would run barefoot, compared to running while wearing shoes.

Celtinfj

MBTI Type
iNFj
Now my problem is my achilles tendons... argh :(

I hear ya on the tendons, Spirilis. I've torn the ligaments connecting my gastrocnemius (sp?) in both legs, once right in half and once partway through. Weeks of healtime and crutches. I have a problem with connective tissue throughout my system though, and we're investigating the cause now.

For me it can be just stepping the wrong way. Running...hell I don't even get up to that.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've found myself intentionally running the "barefoot grass" way, but on pavement, more out of necessity than not; it seems to be easier on my ankles.

O

Oberon

Now that I have damaged cartilage in my right knee, I find biking much better than running.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like to run, and I was doing so for awhile before it just got too hard on my knees. I have crappy knees anyway; they just tend to hurt. I also know that women's bodies are not really build for running and that the structure of our hips ends up putting a lot of strain on the knees.

That said, there are women who run, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some strategies to make it possible for chicks to run without destroying essential bendy parts. Shoes? Particular stretches? What's the secret?

I had a similar problem. My marathon runner boyfriend told me to stop running on hard surfaces. It really does help quite a bit. I still can't run marathons, but it makes my runs at less painful.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Did someone already mention the wider length between a women's hips as compared to a man's? It puts much more stress on the knees and joints and such. Running is the #1 injury sport for women (perhaps also because it's also the most popular?) but I remember telling my running friends that their shoes were wrong for them. Women's running shoes are just miniaturized versions of men's shoes.

EEEGH. Wrong, the shoes have to be made to handle the different impact hitting the ground has on a woman's body as opposed to a man.

Even 4 or 5 years ago, I don't think anyone in mainstream running shops knew about this. We went to a specialty running shoe store in a 'big city' and the fitters/salespeople didn't know what I was talking about.

Of course, this made my ISTJ friend roll her eyes and think I was coming up with more 'crazy CzeCze information' again. Sonuva.

Perhaps someone already mentioned this, in which case I concur. :)

And I have heard trail running (in the woods, on dirt) are much friendlier on the joints. And probably more meditative as far as the scenery. Running on the beach (I know, not really "running") barefoot is a great work out as well!