User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Hey, another SO (or so I assume) - welcome .
    Hey - we should start our own SO thread or something...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

You can't run on pavement, period. You have to run on grass, otherwise you knees will suffer.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I used to have a lot of trouble with my knees feeling weak while running, however during vacation back in March I was walking around a *lot* and over the course of a week, I built up my legs a bit (muscle-wise especially, and maybe some bone growth happened too?) now my knees no longer hurt while running on pavement...

edit: plus I was getting a lot of sun, being in florida and all; if bone growth was involved then the sun will have facilitated it by producing vitamin D on my skin. (vitamin D forms a hormone that stimulates calcium absorption in the bones)

Now my problem is my achilles tendons... argh

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You can't run on pavement, period. You have to run on grass, otherwise you knees will suffer.
    A lot of that depends on your running style. The more weight you place on your toes, rather than your heel, the less stress you're putting on your knees/back/etc.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A lot of that depends on your running style. The more weight you place on your toes, rather than your heel, the less stress you're putting on your knees/back/etc.
    Yeah, you're right. Do you think though that most people tend to have an incorrect running style and so might be better off on grass? This has been my experience but the sampe is limited

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Toes you say..... hhhhmmmm.....
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yeah, you're right. Do you think though that most people tend to have an incorrect running style and so might be better off on grass? This has been my experience but the sampe is limited
    Most people have horrible running styles, so this is probably true. If you were to concentrate on running correctly, you wouldn't notice much of a difference. Imagine how you would run barefoot, compared to running while wearing shoes.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    iNFj

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post

Now my problem is my achilles tendons... argh
    I hear ya on the tendons, Spirilis. I've torn the ligaments connecting my gastrocnemius (sp?) in both legs, once right in half and once partway through. Weeks of healtime and crutches. I have a problem with connective tissue throughout my system though, and we're investigating the cause now.

For me it can be just stepping the wrong way. Running...hell I don't even get up to that.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I've found myself intentionally running the "barefoot grass" way, but on pavement, more out of necessity than not; it seems to be easier on my ankles.

Oberon

Now that I have damaged cartilage in my right knee, I find biking much better than running.