• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

''Period Pieces'' - err, snatching a glimpse at menstrual art...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uncertain if this belongs in the Sexuality/Mature Topics section, or the Arts/Entertainment one.. as I suppose it emcompasses both, in a sense.

So, I've stumbled upon a sort of unique artform.. and I have to wonder if some ladies have taken the concept of ''embracing their womanhood'' a bit too.. literally.

For those who are squeamish when it comes to this sort of thing, I'll just link you to a few examples of what I'm referring to:

Moon Wisdom: Menstrual blood art

A Journal of the Monthly Renewal Process

One woman talks of reclaiming our cycles as spiritual journeys.. and, you know, I'm not one to feel ashamed about body function; it is what it is. The human body. And, overall, it's a beautiful system. However, body secretions in general are pretty unsanitary. This is my personal reasoning for not feeling compelled to discuss it, ordinarily. If the topic's brought up, I don't shy away from it. I don't feel like I need to ''reclaim'' something I never lost.

I suppose it's just not anything that lingers for too long in the foreground of my mind.

That's not to say I can't understand how some women struggle with the stigma surrounding this particular issue. I'm all for growing beyond societal taboos, and letting go of shame, but.. yeah.. this just seems excessive to me, ultimately. I imagine I'd react with same sort of revulsion at someone using regular blood, or saliva, semen, and soforth to paint with.

It's obviously cathartic for a number of people, so, wonderful. I can appreciate the concept. They can do as they please, but.. it's certainly not anything I'd want physically nearby.

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think/feel about this form of feminine expression. And those females out there who are artistically inclined.. would you do this? Why or why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the kind of art that I don't consider art. It's metaphor is way to literal and unimaginative. It's provocative but that's about it.

Get a guy to cum on a dinner plate and show that in a museum. Same crap.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would have died happy never having seen that. Each to their own I guess.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
It's technically sound, but yeah, the concept feels a bit too personal to reach a wide audience. Like Trinity said, to each their own.

I'm a guy and this doesn't gross me out at all. I wonder what that says about me as a person...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Art is art I guess however the sight of blood makes me nauseous... Usually happens if I am ever to look or think of blood for longer than 30 seconds...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My own doesn't gross me out at all, I wouldn't mind painting with it if I saw a point to it (real paints work much better and the symbolism is lame to me).

But other people's, gross. I don't care if they do it, but I don't think it's art on its own (perhaps if it was a cool picture, but even then) and I don't want to see it in person. I'm not a big fan of "shock" art, even if this isn't really very shocking.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Get a guy to cum on a dinner plate and show that in a museum. Same crap.

I'll have you know that my piece was the main attraction in Museum of Eastern Uzbekistan's 2008 summer exhibition.

Just because you can't appreciate particular art, doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll have you know that my piece was the main attraction in Museum of Eastern Uzbekistan's 2008 summer exhibition.

Just because you can't appreciate particular art, doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Edgar, advocate for the depraved. :rolli:

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
You guys have to admit though that concept and menstrual blood as paint aside, she has strong technique.

that you don't mind a little war paint when going into battle? :shrug:

I actually don't mind that at all. Blood doesn't gross me out. I mean, blood is... like LIFE... you know? ... like... metaphors... and shit.. yeah... WHOA...

picture.php

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You guys have to admit though that concept and menstrual blood as paint aside, she has strong technique.

I actually don't mind that at all. Blood doesn't gross me out. I mean, blood is... like LIFE... you know? ... like... metaphors... and shit.. yeah... WHOA...

picture.php

:laugh:

..But seriously.
Posting images of Keanu Reeves in my thread is highly offensive & unacceptable! :steam:

[though I'm sure he'd be ok with ''moon blood'' paintings]

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My own doesn't gross me out at all, I wouldn't mind painting with it if I saw a point to it (real paints work much better and the symbolism is lame to me).

But other people's, gross. I don't care if they do it, but I don't think it's art on its own (perhaps if it was a cool picture, but even then) and I don't want to see it in person. I'm not a big fan of "shock" art, even if this isn't really very shocking.

I pretty much feel the same way....
It doesn't gross me out so much as not impress me as a way to express whatever they're trying to express. It just seems a shock tactic for attention.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This subject always makes my stomach turn. Can't people feel liberated in like....non-pathogen filled ways?

S

sammy

I think it's very unhygienic unless you are boiling your period blood in a pot that is strictly used for period blood BEFORE using it on specific paintbrushes. Please don't put that with your cooking pots. Also, do not make period blood incense out of it when it boils and steams around your kitchen. WARNING: it could stain the ceiling directly above the stove.

what if you wanted to put a woman on a crime scene? Go up and take a swap of her period blood off of a painting and place her DNA there. Yes, so easy. I hope none of you take my ideas. :sad:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It's not for shock value. It's symbolic, and if you feel symbolism is bologna than that's fine... but it's not some artist trying to shock other people. That's like saying you think showing a picture of Jesus with his hands nailed to the cross is purely some artist trying to get attention via shock value.

Some people find great symbolism in things like that, there's whole religions that center much of a woman's spiritual energy on things like that.

It's not sanitary, so I wouldn't do it. but I don't care if others do. I appreciate the artwork.