• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

''Period Pieces'' - err, snatching a glimpse at menstrual art...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It seems more like a strange fetish than an art. I find people who put period blood or shit on things and try to sell it to museums kind of disturbing.

It doesn't really gross me out. It doesn't appeal as art either.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The woman in the link clearly calls it Moon Blood. It's a wiccan/pagan thing, it's religious, not a fetish.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems more like a strange fetish than an art. I find people who put period blood or shit on things and try to sell it to museums kind of disturbing.

It doesn't really gross me out. It doesn't appeal as art either.

Yeah.. I think this is my general sentiment.

But, I'm also not into the whole symbolism thing either. Seems cheesy and the symbolism causes me to have this reaction - :rolleyes:

Obviously there are those who appreciate it and are drawn to it, however. Tis why 'art'/expression is such a personal thing.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't really categorize it as fetishistic.

To these people, they think it's art.. they are expressing themselves, which, well, to me is the base of any creative endeavor. Human expression.
That in of itself doesn't make it any less gross, or even ''good'' art... there's plenty of other aesthetically ''crappy art'' out there.

And yeah, in response to a couple other posts.. I can see this being used as shock art, as well.. I never see how that's supposed to resonate properly, in terms of getting others to embrace their idea. Ah well.

Overall, it's kind of vapid to me, and perhaps not the most creative means of expressing the concepts.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How unsavory. My feeling about this is the same as someone doing art with their own dung or urine. I'm not going to stop them, but I don't really have any interest in it, and probably no good would come of my knowing the person that does it. We won't click.

The art itself strikes me as largely trying to gain its power from symbolism that I think borders on being gimmicky. And I think art that depends entirely on symbolics is bearly art at all.

The woman in the link clearly calls it Moon Blood. It's a wiccan/pagan thing, it's religious, not a fetish.

Alas, I can attribute any stupid thing I do to religion. And I don't see why religion and fetish need by framed as a dichotomy. :D

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Uncertain if this belongs in the Sexuality/Mature Topics section, or the Arts/Entertainment one.. as I suppose it emcompasses both, in a sense.

So, I've stumbled upon a sort of unique artform.. and I have to wonder if some ladies have taken the concept of ''embracing their womanhood'' a bit too.. literally.

For those who are squeamish when it comes to this sort of thing, I'll just link you to a few examples of what I'm referring to:

Moon Wisdom: Menstrual blood art

A Journal of the Monthly Renewal Process

One woman talks of reclaiming our cycles as spiritual journeys.. and, you know, I'm not one to feel ashamed about body function; it is what it is. The human body. And, overall, it's a beautiful system. However, body secretions in general are pretty unsanitary. This is my personal reasoning for not feeling compelled to discuss it, ordinarily. If the topic's brought up, I don't shy away from it. I don't feel like I need to ''reclaim'' something I never lost.

I suppose it's just not anything that lingers for too long in the foreground of my mind.

That's not to say I can't understand how some women struggle with the stigma surrounding this particular issue. I'm all for growing beyond societal taboos, and letting go of shame, but.. yeah.. this just seems excessive to me, ultimately. I imagine I'd react with same sort of revulsion at someone using regular blood, or saliva, semen, and soforth to paint with.

It's obviously cathartic for a number of people, so, wonderful. I can appreciate the concept. They can do as they please, but.. it's certainly not anything I'd want physically nearby.

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think/feel about this form of feminine expression. And those females out there who are artistically inclined.. would you do this? Why or why not?

I love you lexi... but there are some links of yours I'll never look at :p .

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got in an argument with a woman about this once, several years back. I think she implied that because I'm not on board with painting with my menses, that I am obviously disgusted by my periods and bodily functions. :rolli: I'm OK with my womanhood and deal with my periods and all that, but this is.... just not right to me. It's not that it's menstrual blood that squicks me out, it's that it's BLOOD. :dont:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it's pretty awesome. If it was hand-blood, we would all think it was cool, but because it came from her vajeen, suddenly we're all creeped out. Aside from it's artistic value, it points so a weird taboo we keep about wimmins periods being gross. Or rather, that anything related to genitalia is improper and vile. (Not mine of course, but you know, with all of yours.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not for shock value. It's symbolic, and if you feel symbolism is bologna than that's fine... but it's not some artist trying to shock other people. That's like saying you think showing a picture of Jesus with his hands nailed to the cross is purely some artist trying to get attention via shock value.

Some people find great symbolism in things like that, there's whole religions that center much of a woman's spiritual energy on things like that.

It's not sanitary, so I wouldn't do it. but I don't care if others do. I appreciate the artwork.

I very much enjoy symbolism. I just find this rather one-dimensional and obvious. It seems almost like a lazy approach, and that's where I start to see it as a shock method, rather than some profound expression of a hard to articulate sentiment.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Heh, I love the title to this thread, it's appropriate. SNATCHing a glimpse?

:nice:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh, I love the title to this thread, it's appropriate. SNATCHing a glimpse?

:nice:

*cough*
Uhm. Yeah. My _STP friends put me through finishing school.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's pretty awesome. If it was hand-blood, we would all think it was cool, but because it came from her vajeen, suddenly we're all creeped out. Aside from it's artistic value, it points so a weird taboo we keep about wimmins periods being gross. Or rather, that anything related to genitalia is improper and vile. (Not mine of course, but you know, with all of yours.)

I probably wouldn't be as grossed-out, but I'd still think "WTF?" if someone painted with blood from a cut, no so much "that's cool". Maybe also "they make much better red dyes and paints these days, pal".

Secondly, is there anything wrong with being disgusted by some substances more than others? I determine my saliva to be more tolerable than my urine for reasons that I think should be obvious.

As for its artistic value, I already covered how I'm not really impressed.

rav3n

Was eating, now not.

*waits for the follow-up exhibit called Embracing your Inner Clumps*

:sick:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably wouldn't be as grossed-out, but I'd still think "WTF?" if someone painted with blood from a cut, no so much "that's cool". Maybe also "they make much better red dyes and paints these days, pal".

Secondly, is there anything wrong with being disgusted by some substances more than others? I determine my saliva to be more tolerable than my urine for reasons that I think should be obvious.

As for its artistic value, I already covered how I'm not really impressed.

Gotta agree with the sponge, though I agree with Edahn in terms of how one bodypart [I refuse to call it a 'vajeen,' hahah] shouldn't be deemed more or less acceptable in whatever context than any other part. But hey, like I said.. let's face it, if body secretions weren't unsanitary, medical professionals wouldn't recommend use of antibacterial hand sanitizers after we use the bathroom, or come in contact with hospitals.

Blood & endometrial tissue are not paint. They're decomposing biological waste product.. all societal taboos aside.. pretty sure disgust is a natural response in that regard. Germs, potential infections, and soforth.

priestessofmars

MBTI Type
INFJ
I agree, if it was hand-blood people may not be so disgusted by it. I think blood is awesome, symbolically. And menstrual blood is like 20x cooler, symbolically. And art is all about symbols sooo...

I very much enjoy symbolism. I just find this rather one-dimensional and obvious. It seems almost like a lazy approach, and that's where I start to see it as a shock method, rather than some profound expression of a hard to articulate sentiment.

How is it lazy and one dimensional? I think you just cant get over where the blood came from. Did you see the second link? That art was truly beautiful not one dimensional/lazy at all. Maybe you're also just not big on art? Cause menstrual blood art is a very cool idea if you ask me. Its spiritual and original. And who cares if its sanitary? I saw an article about another woman who painted pictures with her blood and she seals all of them with some crap idk what it is, but it makes a barrier so that they're "sanitary." As for the woman who painted the drum, thats for personal use so it doesn't really matter if its sanitary or not, its hers.

Blood is life, blood connects us to our past and if an animal reproduces then it will carry on into our future. Its an example of how life is bigger than the individual. Woman's blood is a reminder of the female's ability to create life and our gender's specific connection to the creation force/god.
Modern society would have women believe that our time of the month is a punishment, a time to feel sorry for ourselves instead of rejoicing in what makes us special. I understand what that one woman was saying about helping women to reclaim their cycles. A woman's monthly cycle connects us to the earth and humanity is very disconnected from mother earth right now, if women were to collectively rediscover the significance their cycles we would be one step closer to reconnecting humanity with nature.

and thats my 2cents.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I frankly believe that if my blood is supposed to be sacred to me, I shall keep it to myself as I munch upon chocolate and tea.

However, putting my blood into a painting would be like.....

weird.

The first impression I got was: why does it not look like dried blood? Why is it still really red?

Also, art is subjective. Just because some people dislike the art of menstrual blood does not mean that they don't like art.

I didn't care much for the PVC pipe hanging from a wire. Doesn't mean I don't care about art.