• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overrated Movies, Books, Musicians, etc.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Which movies, books or musicians do you think are extremely overrated?

Here's My List:

Movies
Titanic. I'm the only person in my Film Lit. class who hasn't seen it...nor WANTS to. My teacher says. "Oh, we're GOING to watch it! Just for you!!!" :doh:
Avatar. The boringest three hours of MY LIFE!!

Books
The Twilight Saga. No further explanation needed.
The Harry Potter saga. I've never really been into any of those big, fantasy books that "everyone" else was into.

Musicians
Justin Bieber
Taylor Swift
Miley Cyrus (who is only famous because Billy Ray Cyrus is her father. :doh: )

I've got more, but this is all I can think of on a moments notice.

What about you guys?

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
OK. This is going to drop my respect point level down to the negative, but I actually like some of Taylor Swift's songs, esp. "You Belong with Me." I agree with everything else on your list though I have yet to see avatar, but don't plan to.

I hated Titanic. Barely watched it once. All I remember is, there was like... a boat.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Crunk - cannot STAND it.
Twilight
teenage musical garbage like Glee and High School Musical.

Stop it, Gen Y! Just stop it!

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I liked Titanic. I didn't think Avatar was the most boring movie I've ever seen, but definitely overrated. Sure, it had cool effects, but it's the same story we've heard a thousand times.

Books: The Lovely Bones and The Time Traveler's Wife. They were both good, but I didn't think they were as great as everyone else seemed to think. (By the way, has anyone else noticed that there are suddenly about 327 books called "The Something's Someone"? I can think of 3 off the top of my head: The Time Traveler's Wife, The Heretic's Daughter, The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I bet I could find at least 3more.)

As for overrated bands/musicians... probably about 80% of what I hear on the radio these days falls into that category...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Don't people have to agree something is good before it can be overrated? A lot of that stuff seems to be universally derided by everyone except kids.

Anyway, my list:

The Doors
Lord of the Rings
Radiohead
Parks And Recreation
George Carlin
The Colbert Report
The Dave Matthews Band
The Empire Strikes Back
Any Paul Thomas Anderson movie that isn't There Will Be Blood
The Wizard of Oz

S

Sniffles

Yeah Stars Wars trilogy certainly belongs in this list. I mean I enjoyed them as a kid, but some people take it way too seriously. Same with Star Trek, which I've never cared for.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of these threads already exists, and I think it's even in this sub-forum.

But at any rate, whenever this subject comes up, I must cast my vote for The Catcher in the Rye. I just don't understand.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
Which movies, books or musicians do you think are extremely overrated?

Titanic. I'm the only person in my Film Lit. class who hasn't seen it...nor WANTS to. My teacher says. "Oh, we're GOING to watch it! Just for you!!!" :doh:

i think you actually have to experience something before you can claim it is overrated with any authority. however, in this case i'll let it slide because that movie does suck hard.

my contribution: jane austen's pride and prejudice. spare me.

and spamtar, if you continue to say bad things about there will be blood :azdaja: it's rolling pin time.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh, I could go crazy with the self indulgence and write a thesis on this, but I will restrain myself.

Family Guy: I've given this show a chance over and over but I've only laughed like twice. I just find it lazy, gratuitous, and bordering on flat-out plagiarism sometimes. I just can't stand it.

The Da Vinci Code When I finally read it, I was like "Really? People are whizzing themselves over this? I found it predictable and OTT.

Gwyneth Paltrow I don't think she's a horrible actress, but I don't think she's anything special. Critics always seem to be creaming their pants in their rush to praise her, I think it's ridiculous.

Twilight I cannot believe that woman got published. I cannot believe that woman got published. I cannot believe that woman got published.

Katy Perry Just......WTF? Okay, she's petite and like a Rainbow Brite doll that grew a nice rack but......WTF?

2001 A Space Odyssey I like Kubrick, but I found that movie to be self-indulgent and like a sleight of hand trick. Not saying I thought it sucked entirely, I just don't think it was this amazing film. Might be one of those I will never appreciate out of the cinema landscape it was released into because of growing up with all the imitators that followed it.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah Stars Wars trilogy certainly belongs in this list. I mean I enjoyed them as a kid, but some people take it way too seriously.

You're just jealous 'cause the force is wiff me and not wiff you. Like, the force doesn't even like you. It told me. For reals. :vader1:

*plays with awesome LED lightsaber*

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think Parks and Rec would have to air on local access television to be more underrated. Numbers-wise, of course.

Overrated:
The Girl with A Dragon Tattoo
Vertigo
Old Spice commercials
Mad Men

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm really loving this thread.

Our local library has their copies of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" on this massive waiting list. I keep reading about it and everyone is going nuts over it. This makes me suspicious immediately, anyone else get that way? Same thing with "Inception". I haven't seen it yet but I kind of don't want to until everyone shuts up and calms their s**t down.

I've gotten accused of just being anti-mainstream for the sake of it (which, confuses me because I'm like "Uh, did you notice I'm a U2 fan or you're just ignoring that part?) but I'm not. It's been years of giving mainstream/hyped stuff a chance over and over and being disappointed more often than not, you know? Not that I'd ever close off completely, it's just I take it with a huge grain of salt when droves of people are all freaking out about something (which reminds me, my boyfriend likes Glee so much and I finally watched it a couple of times. I really wanted to like it but I just didn't.)

Like I said, I'm a huge U2 fan (and I'm not going to take any "F**K BONO!" commentary personally, ahaha) and they're popular, but I truly get something out of it. Like I once met this woman who was 23 years old and really felt inspired by N*Sync music. It meant so much to her in a really genuine way, and I could not crap on that no matter what I personally thought of them.

Know what I mean?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Movies
Avatar. The boringest three hours of MY LIFE!!

:sadbanana: Titanic and Avatar were AWESOME. So don't you like Terminator either?

The Harry Potter saga. I've never really been into any of those big, fantasy books that "everyone" else was into.

But they're awesome too! Everybody likes Harry Potter.

Musicians
Justin Bieber
Taylor Swift
Miley Cyrus (who is only famous because Billy Ray Cyrus is her father. :doh: )

Well, I like Miley Cyrus' personality and her voice is good. Taylor Swift has too soft of a voice. Not much for Justin.

I suppose some things that I didn't like at all that others seemed to:
- Natural born killers - just grossed me out
- 500 days in summer - bad ending
- Pulp Fiction - reaction was "what the hell is this"?
- English Patient - I really did fall asleep during it
- Crash - didn't like that much at either