• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overrated Movies, Books, Musicians, etc.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Katy Perry. She should be put in a glass box and dress up like a paperdoll everyday. That would be her only good use. Singing, decent, but it's all about melting your popsicle and if you think that 'kissing a girl and liking it' wouldn't be a number one-no matter who's singing it-with the Hollywood look-then you are mistaken.
'You change your mind like a girl changes clothes...?'WTF?! It's wwaaayyyy to bubblegum puke for me.

S

Sniffles

Kate Perry and Lady Gaga. My goodness I hate how their songs are constantly played on the radio.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
+10 for Lady Gaga. Just because you are unique, does not mean you are useful. And last time I checked, throwing a bunch of shit together that does not match in any way shape or form, is not unique. It is trying to be unique by being absurd and inconsistent.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Moby Dick
Keira Knightley
Metallica
Kate Gosselin
Perry Mason
the supposed attractiveness of the male members of the Twilight cast

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Perry Mason? Overrated? In 1959, perhaps? :p I always liked Perry Mason, but I assumed I was one of the few people (especially my age) that knew it existed.

Kibou-chan

MBTI Type
INFP
+10 for Lady Gaga. Just because you are unique, does not mean you are useful. And last time I checked, throwing a bunch of shit together that does not match in any way shape or form, is not unique. It is trying to be unique by being absurd and inconsistent.

The way you phrased that made me think of rampant Ne. I have two friends who are completely obsessed with Lady Gaga; one's an ENFP and one is eluding my typing but is most likely ENFP or INFP.

COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?! I THINK NOT. :devil:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Perry Mason? Overrated? In 1959, perhaps? :p I always liked Perry Mason, but I assumed I was one of the few people (especially my age) that knew it existed.

Yeah, I actually had to read a couple of Perry Mason stories in college for Detective Fiction. I was completely underwhelmed. It's garbage compared to a lot of classic mysteries.

Ozzy Osbourne even made a song about Perry Mason.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
As much as I like the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird", I wasn't particularly fond of the book. "Lord of the Flies" also comes to mind, although the more disturing parts as well as the very end were quite good.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Never seen Katy Perry has particularly highly rated, so can't say I agree with that one.

Lady Gaga, I see the appeal, though a lot of her songs are very generic, she is one of the best live pop performers I've seen (on TV). But I don't listen to pop radio a lot, so I guess I'm not inundated.

Overrated: The Bible, <i>Siddhartha</i> by Herman Hesse, toe socks (not to be confused with tabi socks), stripes, blue, err... what were we talking about again?

Cephalonimbus

MBTI Type
INFP
It's really hard to be unbiased about this, but i think any time a movie/book/band has mainstream success while maintaining artistic integrity and the work goes beyond the superficiality that's so prevalent in the mainstream media, it will appeal to a large number of people who haven't seen/read/heard anything like it before, simply because they haven't encountered it yet. Quite often, the result is that people become absolutely ecstacic about something and talk about it as if it's totally unique, while its most unique aspect is the fact that it's commercially successful.

The best/worst example i can think of is the band Tool. I actually like Tool and own all of their albums except for the first, but they have fans who treat their music as if it holds some kind of metaphysical secret and if you disagree, it's because you don't "understand".

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't mind Moby Dick personally.

I intend to read it soon. My ENfP friend says it's his favorite book.

It's a travesty that Jersey Shore's premiere has four times the viewership of Mad Men.

Also, that goddamn annoying kid from Two and a Half Men makes more per episode than Jon Hamm or Steve Carell. Let's set this straight: Two and a Half Men is awful.

Obviously, whoever the sex bomb of the month is in any category is almost always overrated: used-to-bes like Jessica Alba to her modern day equivalents like Megan Fox or those Twilight guys. Can't act, only marketable skill is looking good: be models. Easy. Musicians can also be like this, usually pop musicians with simplistic lyrics. No one will remember any of these people in five years when there's a new one.

Avatar. When the special effects of lower-budget films catch up with and pass that movie while also having better constructed plots, themes, messages, characters and performances, people are probably gonna have to admit the only reason it was popular at all was aesthetic. (Note: It isn't terrible, it's just very generic in all areas aside from visuals)

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Avatar. When the special effects of lower-budget films catch up with and pass that movie while also having better constructed plots, themes, messages, characters and performances, people are probably gonna have to admit the only reason it was popular at all was aesthetic. (Note: It isn't terrible, it's just very generic in all areas aside from visuals)

Hey now. Avatar had a great storyline.

The only problem is Pocahontas had it first. :laugh:

rav3n

Stephen King is over-rated. It takes him a chapter what could be written in one paragraph. Deathly boring.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aw. That's one reason why I think he's interesting.

It's a story, not a term paper.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
James Joyce...stream of conscious mutherfuk. Take some Ritalin boyho.