• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overrated Movies, Books, Musicians, etc.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Definitely agree with:

Mad Men
Star Wars
Twilight
Catcher in the Rye
The Doors
Reservoir Dogs (but not other Tarantino movies--I could probably watch Kill Bill every day until I die)

And will add:

Sex and the City
A lot of Mel Brooks movies that are funny, sure, but not THAT funny
Anything directed by Woody Allen
The Office, even when it was funny

(And after having said that, I am SURE there's another thread just like this somewhere, and I think I said SATC then, too.)

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do not understand you people who do not like:
Catcher in the Rye
Star Trek
Harry Potter
The Office
Sex and the City (unless you're a dude, then I can see how you might not get it)
:confused:;)

I agree about:
Lord of the (Bo)Rings
Kill Bill/Tarantino movies in general (so much violence!)
Family Guy, to a certain extent. I find it funny sometimes, but annoying almost equally as often.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I never understood what's so great about Catcher in the Rye.

Everything!! The language and some of the situations he gets in to manage to crack me up, but at the same time be incredibly touching and point out some of the depressingly ridiculous (r ridiculously depressing) things people do and care about....

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Family Guy -most of my joking around with people are in jokes, but for some reason I don't like to see it on TV, it seems like a substitute for real humor.
Harry Potter - I read the books, I did like Cuaron directed movie, but there's a lot better children's fantasy out there, not that this is anywhere near bad.
Twilight - Need I say it? But I actually started watching the Rifftracks version of the first movie, and the movies not really all that bad, but I haven't finished it, yet.

N

NPcomplete

Movies:
Probably Avatar and Inception. I have watched neither and I don't plan to now that most people I know have been going on and on about them. The High School Musical type movies and Twilight also make me gag.

Music:
Like a few posters above, I'd say Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift.

There's also that Waving Flag song for the World Cup. That song is like a platter full of Camembert.

I've never listened to Justin Bieber/Jonas Brothers but from the bits I've heard, I'd say they are over-rated too.

Books:
The Millenium series, Twilight (hahah), Eat, Pray, Love (I was made to read that for a book club... Let's just say that I enjoyed murdering the book at the meeting. :devil:), anything with a plot reminiscent of Twilight, Dan Brown books, Malcolm Gladwell books, a lot of books recommended and loved by Oprah and her drones.

That's all for now.

Edit: I forgot The Notebook.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Julia Roberts- she is the same in every role she plays. Does she even act?

The News- seriously why are we obsessed with the news in this country?

Jodi Picoult

Nicholas Sparks

The Nanny Diaries- the book was sub par, why make a movie out of it?

Last edited:

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Nicholas Sparks

The Nanny Diaries- the book was sub par, why make a movie out of it?

N

NPcomplete

Ooh I also forgot Ayn Rand books and certain so-called classics (some Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights,..). I just don't see what the hype is all about.

There's also the remixed version of Lux Aeterna (Requiem for a Tower?) on a lot of trailers these days..

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, yes! I forgot to add The Office and Family Guy.

I honestly don't get what's so funny about them. I tried watching them to see what all the fuss was, but I felt my brain turning to mush. Horrible.

And, yes, I'll also add Glee to the list. I especially hate when they cover classic songs and then everyone thinks that that show is where the songs originated from. :doh:

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
:sadbanana: Titanic and Avatar were AWESOME. So don't you like Terminator either?

But they're awesome too! Everybody likes Harry Potter.

1. No, sorry. I actually don't like Terminator, either. I guess I'm movie retarded. :blush:

2. I will admit that Harry Potter beats Twilight by a landslide. But, still...It's just not my cup of tea. (Must be book retarded too!)

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Movie
Juno: She's pregnant and she's a badass. Cool story bro. I like the stink-eye the Mother Teresa reference and that's about it.
Up: Charming movie but doesn't have that much substance.

Books

Twilight series: It sucks and most people know it sucks. The first book was interesting and it goes down hill from there.
The Scarlet Letter: I don't think is that well-rated anyway. But it's in here because I hate it with a passion. It's overly descriptive and the story line is horrible.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Co-sign.

And crapping on Up just seems wrong.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
+1 to Winston Churchhill and Twilight.

The Da Vinci Code. Please don't mistake this as intellectual, or factual, or enlightening.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Da Vinci Code. Please don't mistake this as intellectual, or factual, or enlightening.

It's not supposed to be any of those things. It's supposed to be entertaining. And I found it damn entertaining. You can take issue with Dan Brown's writing skills if you want to nitpick, but the concept and the plot are utterly compelling.

Nicodemus

It's not supposed to be any of those things. It's supposed to be entertaining. And I found it damn entertaining. You can take issue with Dan Brown's writing skills if you want to nitpick, but the concept and the plot are utterly compelling.
Is the book as ridiculous as the film?