• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone seeing Cloverfield this weekend?

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
That's the same point I started my fascination with this movie, seeing Transformers (although putting "intellectual value" and "Transformers" in the same sentence makes my head hurt) I saw that teaser, and I was immediately hooked.

I actually was hoping at that point that the whole movie was filmed through the eyes of a dodgy HI 8 camera.

:) The three of us went to a diner after seeing a pretty late screening. We tried pretty hard to mine anything intellectual, but kept returning to our disappointments having loved the animated version when we were kids.

The closest we got was trying to staple an idea of "humans coming to terms with a confirmation of intelligent/advanced extraterrestrial life in the universe," but even that barely held on.

It was a lot easier, from less than five minutes of largely contextless footage, to dig into the Cloverfield teaser ;)

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've watched that movie 16 times since it hit DVD. I think I am attached to it just out of the pure awesomeness of watching Prime talk.

Cloverfield holds the same draw to me. I am simple though. If I want intellect, I will traverse the movies and go straight to the diner. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People who bash the intellectual value of Transformers apparently do not understand that the ingenuity lies not in the movie but in the visual effects. Damn BAFTA bastards make me sick.

What is with them nominating The Golden Compass for the Best Special Visual Effects BAFTA award? That movie was just a silly showcase for the Coca-Cola bears!!! Transformers was easily superior in that category.

If Transformers doesn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects then I'll probably never get over it...and I'll bitch about it for the rest of my life. I will wage war against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences if this does not happen.

Apparently the trailer for the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie will be in front of Cloverfield. ILM is working on that, too! They're also working on Speed Racer and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! See? Not to mention Iron Man and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! George Lucas rocks!

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
the marketing campaign reeks of blair witch.

pseudo-documentary of a monster attack on a city? awful... :dry:
That's funny, it did remind me of Blair Witch. Blair Witch meets a colonoscopy. It was pure sh#t. I feel I have a moral obligation to warn you people to stay away.

At least Blair Witch had an excuse, it was shot on like $56K. Here...I don't know what the deal was. I would've hated to have to sit through some of the earlier incarnations of this thing. Honestly people, you were warned!!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's funny, it did remind me of Blair Witch. Blair Witch meets a colonoscopy. It was pure sh#t. I feel I have a moral obligation to warn you people to stay away.

At least Blair Witch had an excuse, it was shot on like $56K. Here...I don't know what the deal was. I would've hated to have to sit through some of the earlier incarnations of this thing. Honestly people, you were warned!!

Let me guess, you are a moviegoer struggling to get into showbiz, yes?

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
People who bash the intellectual value of Transformers apparently do not understand that the ingenuity lies not in the movie but in the visual effects. Damn BAFTA bastards make me sick.

What is with them nominating The Golden Compass for the Best Special Visual Effects BAFTA award? That movie was just a silly showcase for the Coca-Cola bears!!! Transformers was easily superior in that category.

If Transformers doesn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects then I'll probably never get over it...and I'll bitch about it for the rest of my life. I will wage war against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences if this does not happen.

Apparently the trailer for the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie will be in front of Cloverfield. ILM is working on that, too! They're also working on Speed Racer and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! See? Not to mention Iron Man and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! George Lucas rocks!

The redeeming value of Transformers is in the special-effects work. It's a shame so much of it is so hard to see thanks to Bay's quick-cuts.

It doesn't necessarily make Transformers a waste of time that it has little intellectual value . . . but it would have added to the film if the script had been more intelligent, if the characters were less two-dimensional, if the editing had been a bit subtler.

But that's not really the topic here . . .

spartan26: why do you think people should not see Cloverfield? Why should those of us who are excited be "warned?" And what about?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So far at rotten tomatoes, it seems to be doing well, but I seldom care what so called reviewers ever think of movies. I haven't seen a movie that I've hated since I watched Laser Mission, and even that had it's moments.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a pretty cool teaser. I've never been a particular fan of Star Trek except for the Next Generation TV series, but I have high hopes for this movie.

I get to see a high-quality one in about an hour or so!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I saw Cloverfield. I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly, although it was obvious that Skywalker Sound did the post-production sound for the movie (credits later confirmed), because there were numerous sound effects used in the Star Wars films.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I saw Cloverfield. I must say I enjoyed it thoroughly, although it was obvious that Skywalker Sound did the post-production sound for the movie (credits later confirmed), because there were numerous sound effects used in the Star Wars films.
Glad to hear it was good. I plan on seeing it Tuesday.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Recently returned from the theater, immediate post-viewing impression is very positive.

Saw it with a friend more interested in "finding out what the monster is," who said he was happy, but he got distracted pretty quickly after walking out into the cold.

I went hoping for a compelling character-driven drama set in an unnatural place for mass-hysteria/terror . . . I left feeling quite fulfilled.

added about an hour after the above:

I'm trying to get a feel for what other folks think about the film, and I'm finding myself quite surprised that it seems quite a few thought the main characters were either shallow and/or immensely stupid . . . this seems, particularly, directed at the motivation behind most of who I would call the "main" character's decisions.

I don't want to go into too much detail because the film just came out . . . but finding this criticism all over the place is pretty disappointing.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've not seen it yet since my movie buddy bailed on me this morning, but I've heard similar mixed reviews. I think I've prepped myself enough for what the thing is actually about and I am ready for it. I may end up going to see it myself tomorrow morning, just because I really want to see it. Most of my friends that I usually see movies with have loved it though.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Up to this point, I had been intrigued with the trailers.

My INTP son saw it last night and said I really needed to go see it. He said to sit closer to the back, however, or it might make me dizzy.

MerkW

I viewed a screening of this film on Friday evening.

I didn't really like it very much. The plot was not very strong, the camera movements made me nauseous, there wasn't enough explanation of the monster itself, it was too short for such a movie, and there was to much of a viral advertisement frenzy.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Nope but I would like to see 'There Will Be Blood'. Heard it's really good.