• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone seeing Cloverfield this weekend?

ArtlessFuture

MBTI Type
INFP
I saw it too and really enjoyed it. And yes, sit towards the back if you think the shaky camera might get to you.
I was reccomending it to my cousin last night, and I asked him if he gets motion sick easily, I warned him about the camera jiggling around. His response was, "No I don't get motion sickness, but I do get annoyed very easily."

Anyway I would reccomend it, but apparently its one of those you-love-it-or-you-despise-it kind of deals.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I finally saw it. I liked it, didn't love it. I thought the device of the video camera was a great idea, but the execution was iffy. I still enjoyed the uniqueness of having no explanation or backstory, though...we experienced it just like the characters and I think that was the best part of the movie.

That said, I didn't like any of the characters, so I didn't really care what happened to them. They were a bunch of tools. And while you have to suspend disbelief for this kind of movie, some of the decisions the characters made were so poor that in my mind I was hoping they would pay for them. And though I've never been seasick in my life and have a strong stomach, I actually got nausea watching the movie. I have heard that I am not alone.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I finally saw it. I liked it, didn't love it. I thought the device of the video camera was a great idea, but the execution was iffy. I still enjoyed the uniqueness of having no explanation or backstory, though...we experienced it just like the characters and I think that was the best part of the movie.

That said, I didn't like any of the characters, so I didn't really care what happened to them. They were a bunch of tools. And while you have to suspend disbelief for this kind of movie, some of the decisions the characters made were so poor that in my mind I was hoping they would pay for them. And though I've never been seasick in my life and have a strong stomach, I actually got nausea watching the movie. I have heard that I am not alone.

That was my problem with Blair Witch. While I did find it genuinely creepy, I thought the characters were stupid and I wanted the witch to eat them.

As for the nausea, I saw BW while pregnant so I hope if that didn't make me ill, this won't, either. Of course, that was nine years ago, and my vestibular system has probably firmed up quite a bit since then.

MBTI Type
INTJ
That was my problem with Blair Witch. While I did find it genuinely creepy, I thought the characters were stupid and I wanted the witch to eat them.

As for the nausea, I saw BW while pregnant so I hope if that didn't make me ill, this won't, either. Of course, that was nine years ago, and my vestibular system has probably firmed up quite a bit since then.

I hope I'm not bursting your bubble, but Blair Witch did not make me nauseous at all. That's why it surprised me so much when Cloverfield did. Blair Witch was such a great experiment and I think it succeeded, whereas Cloverfield was more hit and miss.

As long as Blair Witch has come up, allow me to derail :D Has anyone noticed the Blair Witch backlash? You can barely find someone who admits to liking it ("oh, that movie blows"), but at the time it was a sensation and everyone slobbered all over it. Where did all those people go? Did they get eaten by the witch? It's the Titanic phenomenon. Everyone thinks Titanic sucks now, but a bazillion people saw it...it's only the biggest box office hit of all time. I don't think one weepy teenage girl saw it over and over again until it made a billion dollars. Why is everyone changing their story? There's nothing wrong with enjoying a movie that isn't fashionable. :soapbox:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I hope I'm not bursting your bubble, but Blair Witch did not make me nauseous at all. That's why it surprised me so much when Cloverfield did. Blair Witch was such a great experiment and I think it succeeded, whereas Cloverfield was more hit and miss.

As long as Blair Witch has come up, allow me to derail :D Has anyone noticed the Blair Witch backlash? You can barely find someone who admits to liking it ("oh, that movie blows"), but at the time it was a sensation and everyone slobbered all over it. Where did all those people go? Did they get eaten by the witch? It's the Titanic phenomenon. Everyone thinks Titanic sucks now, but a bazillion people saw it...it's only the biggest box office hit of all time. I don't think one weepy teenage girl saw it over and over again until it made a billion dollars. Why is everyone changing their story? There's nothing wrong with enjoying a movie that isn't fashionable. :soapbox:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It was a real sensation at the time. I was thoroughly creeped out, which is what I wanted to get out of it, dumb protagonists be damned. I'm guessing it was overexposure after the fact. Once something makes it into one of those Scary Movie movies, people don't want to be allied with it anymore. :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

Well, you've hit the nail on the head there. People want to be cool and fashionable, and things a few years old are too old to be that, but not old enough to be retro. If you wait until about 2020, Blair Witch and Titanic will be cool to like once more :shock:

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
If it makes any difference, I hated Blair Witch then and was quite vocal about getting yanked around for an hour and a half. I really thought it was a pump and dump to get people in opening w/e and then not care if word got out it was a crapfest because they'd already gotten way more than their money back.

I didn't care too much for Titanic but then I thought it was because I waited too long to see it and thought it didn't live up to the hype. I do know quite a there were few 30 year old women who saw that film multiple times as well. I don't know if they officially decaprioed. There were also quite a few 30 something women who would never consider themselves Sci Fi or comic book fans who quite enjoyably ponied up $8.50 to Wolverine in the X-Men movies.

I don't know how seasick I was leaving the theater, though I was overwhelmed with the Bobbleheadcam, I think I was more angry when I left from seeing Cloverfield.